Important information about swine flu

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mluther746, Nov 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Swine flu is the common name given to a new strain of influenza (flu). It is called swine flu because it is thought to have originated in pigs, but this is not certain.

People with swine flu typically have a fever or high temperature (over 38°C) and may also have aching muscles, sore throat and/or a dry cough (see Symptoms). In other words, the symptoms are very similar to seasonal (regular) flu. Most people recover within a week, even without special treatment.

The virus was first identified in Mexico in April 2009. It has since become a pandemic, which means it has spread around the globe. It has spread quickly because it is a new type of flu virus that few, if any, people have full resistance to.

Flu pandemics are a natural event that occur from time to time. Last century, there were flu pandemics in 1918, 1957 and 1968, when millions of people died across the world.

In most cases the virus has proved relatively mild. However, around the world hundreds of people have died and it is not yet clear how big a risk the virus is. For this reason, and because all viruses can mutate to become more potent (stronger), scientists are saying we need to be careful.
  2. Have you been living on a desert island without access to news media for the last 6 months?
  3. Take your scare stories somewhere else. They won't workk here you muppet.
  4. My whole family had it a few weeks ago. The adults (incl. myself) and our two kids. To be honest, it wasn't any worse than a bad cold. Seriously. I'm not saying that the "bad" neews reports are completely lying. There seem to be a few people who get this 'flu and react very badly to it. I have no idea why. But the news is giving a very extreme picture of something that's frankly not that much of a threat.
  5. 245 Deaths not much to worry about.
  6. I have heard some scary cses this side of the pond (septic side).

A good friend of mine has a 9 year old niece. About 4 weeks ago she was sent home from school at noon with flu symptoms. By midnght that night she was in the Intensive Care Unit of Childrens' Hospital in Boston (a super hospital by the way). SHe had two collapsed lungs and was on a ventilator. She was on a ventilator for 12 days. She is now home but has to do rehab as she was left with a speech problem and problems with walking and balance. They suspect that the lung damage reduced the oxygen to her brain for a while. She does have full cognitive function.

I don't know about you but that scares me a bit. The little girl did have a history of asthma. A cousin of mine had the swine flu a couple of weeks ago, 55 but in fine health, non smoker and is fine now but said it was the worst flu she ever had. When I made food runs for her I stayed on the other side of the room. I did get the vaccine this week (due to my job) but it is in short supply in the US.

One of the problems here in the US is parents who do not want to keep sick kids home as it interferes with their work, employer way require them to use sick days or vacation for the time off etc. They would rather let their kid infect his/her class than use their own sick time/vacation time (silly feckerrs)
  7. I had my jab 2 days ago it was sore :oops: , there were stories here of parents having flu parties during the summer so their kids would get it when it was convenient rather than as a surprise, all because some stupid git said it was safe as long as there were no underlying health conditions. Obviously that was before the death toll started to rise anyone who thinks it is just a bit of flu needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
  8. The septics are lucky if they know when they've had it (is every patient tested to confirm)? We were ill in July and got the call centre appro for Tamiflu. This disease went round several families with children at the same school - mainly hitting in first week of hols. Only about half the afflicted "passed" the call centre. So were two diseases going round in UK in July?
  9. Not really, it's not a significant increase in the normal annual flu death rates.
    Globally 2 million people a year die from seasonal flu, in a worse case scanario H1N1 may raise that up to 3-4 million.

While it is classified as pandemic by the WHO, the time to break out your BOB*, grab the family, raid the armoury etc is when the mortality rate goes up.
    To put it in perspective, this pandemic has an actual mortality rate of 0.006% (using the stats)
    The 1918 flu had a mortality rate of in between 10-20%

The worry of the moment, articulated by Liam Donaldson is a significant mutation in the virus rendering negative any resistance already developed in the population

*jeez, Bug Out Bag or GOOD (Get Out Of Dodge) bag grabbed when TEOTWAWKI happens and taken in the BOV to the BOL. Haven't you guys read any Ragnar Benson......