*IMPORTANT* Chilcot Iraq Inquiry Evidence Veterans Roadshow

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Oct 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Welcome, if low key, announcement. Chance for serving and ex-serving to make their views known. I suggest some prior preparation beforehand, perhaps getting thoughts and points down on paper, sorry if that seems stating the obvious. I am sure there are others on this site who can give clearer advice on preparing a written submission. There are other issues - anonymity, the Official Secrets Act, risk of defamation/libel/slander (IANAL!) and hopefully these will be covered in the (as yet unreleased) letter from Chilcot.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/TelicVeteransInvitedToTakePartInIraqInquiry.htm

It's not on the main Iraq Inquiry website yet.

2. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Does anyone else feel that this might have made a difference and been a worthwhile use of resources in 2003/4 but is a waste of time now? Most of the major players have moved on, their skulduggery and scumbaggery is widely acknowledged and the POR's submitted at the time remain generally ignored.

Much as I'd love to see St Tony squirming, is it an indulgence under the present circumstances? More to the point, wouldn't a similar enquiry into operations in Afghanistan be a better use of time and resources and deliver more immediately valuable results?

3. The main point of this is that the outcome of the inquiry will be seen as the final verdict on the Iraq War. There is unlikely to be a chance afterwards. If anyone has anything to say, now is the time to say it.

What might it change?

- use of intelligence as propaganda
    - checks on prerogative powers on "declaring war"
    - responsibility for supply issues and equipment shortages/failings

etc...

4. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

After the experiences of the past twelve years, particularly Hutton, I doubt if anyone accepts an official enquiry as the last word on anything anymore. As to your other deliverables, the use of intelligence as propaganda was an established 'no no' but they did it anyway, checks on prerogative powers are a US device and not applicable to our Parliamentary system and as for the screw up in logistics, well, that's old news. A combination of political cowardice, professional cowardice from the high command and general loggie cr@p in theatre did for us on that score.

My other questions still stand too - is this a good use of resources and would this do more good if it focussed on Afghanistan?

5. Agree about Afghanistan.....maybe the future Lord Dannatt will establish one. It's ridiculous that the Iraq inquiry has taken so long, it was never going to happen under Blair and Brown only did it to avoid awkward questions at the election.

Bet they won't spend as much money as in the Bloody Sunday inquiry (and I bet the lawyers will be disappointed!)

The risk is, that if no-one takes the opportunity to have their say, it will be a one-sided narrative. It may not be the best inquiry at the best time, but it is the inquiry we have and it is the one we'll be left with when it winds up.