Import of deactivated rifles into UK.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Drlligaf, Sep 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a question for Arrsers who may be in the know. What are the rules or laws concerning the importation of a deactivated bolt action rifle into UK from Germany? The rifle has been deactivated to German standards, which I am told are the same as the English standards.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The standards as I understand are not the same but that doesnt mean that you cant bring t in with its German proof certificate, assuming you have that. If its in a car its less of a problem than importing through an airport. In reality with open borders for trade you shouldnt need any paperwork. That said its personal property rather than trade so if you are bringing it back with you then its not imported!

3. Unfortunately until it has been certified by a UK proof house as being deactivated it will be classed as a section 1 firearm in the UK.

If you really want to import it, it can be done, but you'll need an FAC and an import permit, or alternatively you could send it to a dealer in the UK who could then send it to proof for you. It's likely to cost a bit though.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/downloadFile?contentID=HMCE_PROD1_025576

Is it a really rare model? If it isn't it may not be worth the trouble.

Regards
    T_T

4. Thanks TT.