Imperial War Museum

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Norfolknchance, Nov 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had a couple of days off last week so took myself and Mrs Chance to London. We spent time wandering the streets, eating and drinking loads and visited various "places of culture".

However, we were both bowled over by the Imperial War Museum. We've both been there before but were able to devote more to it this time. There were 2 occasions which I'd like to particulalry mention. The first was in the VC and George Cross exhibition room. There were 5 schoolboys in there, completely silent, reading the citations for the medals.

One guy quietly says to his mate "Fuk me, did this guy actually do all that stuff?" His mate says "yeh but you wouldn't catch me doing it, no fukin' way", saw us and apologised for his bad language. I told him not to worry but assured him that given the circumstances people may find themselves in, they may surprise themselves by their own bravery.

The other occasion was in the Holocasust exhibition. The place was packed with schoolchildren, obviously having lessons on a day away from school. In the corner was a young girl crying her eyes out but surrounded by friends. I went and asked if she was OK (a bit of letching as well mind you!) but was told that she was so overcome by what some people can do to other people that she started crying. :crying:

I would encourage any readers of this fine site that if they find themselves "sarf of the river" with 2 or 3 hours to kill, drop into the museum, I promise you it won't be a waste of your time. :clap:
  2. Mrs Stab and myself were in London for a long weekend (ok a dirty q :wink: ) last month. We visited the IWM and was pleasently surprised. However, I would recommend the National Army Museum .. very impresive
  3. I had the privilege to work there for a couple of months checking out their ammunition (and yes some was live!). It is an anoraks paradise and I would have done the task in my spare time if asked. They have got some fantastic stuff there which is not on display (same as at Duxford) but I recommend a whole day to really look around.
  4. Yet again too I'm too slow .. seconded
  5. Went to the IWM for the first time in my adult life very recently - can't speak highly enough of it. The Holocaust exhib. was incredibly moving without ever being mawkish: the scale model of Auschwitz in particular was quite something - set up like a factory, which is, of course, exactly what it was. The only photos taken of a death camp, film of inmates just before they were due to be "euthanised", footage of survivors describing what must have been hell on earth, displays about the uprisings in the ghettos when they must have known it was hopeless. But what totally got me were the letters: letters from people being herded into cattle trucks but still writing with hope to their families, trying to offer them comfort. Letters from soldiers who liberated the camps and were confronted with scenes worse than anything else they'd seen in the war. Horrific, but at the same time, an event the horror of which should never, ever be forgotten.

6. Also (sloppy) second Mrs Stab In The Dark to go to London for dirty weekend. She really does know her way around a 6" howitzer.

= 0 ))

I apologise I feel very guilty for that low pun.[/quote]

I think she said it fizzled rather than going bang and 6" was an over extimate :p
  7. I went to the National Army Museum last week and loved it, althought the Snatch Landrover outside made me break in to a sweat. The Helmand exhibit is something else. The public can leave notes of the walls and some of them were very moving.
  8. The Helmand exhibit wasn't as big as I thought it would be, but the line dessies on the wrack with badges of the units involved was a very good touch
  9. Also, if in Germany, do try to visit Belsen. It's been around 30 years since we took our bairns there (probably a bad move on our part) but so humbling to realise that people can survive such horrors.
  10. Not been to the IWM for about 30 years. I have days-off starting Wednsday and might go revisit after reading this.
  11. Visited Auschwitz in 2003 with my crew during an ex in Poland. It made an immense impression upon us all, especially the personal bits such as scratched names and pictures on the inside of the cells of Auschwitz I, the enormous piles of suitcases each with their owners name and addresses carefully stencilled and the baby clothes.

12. I too visited the IWM and thought the exhibits were very moving. I seem to remember there was a pile of shoes that contained childrens and the thought of the poor little mites brought a tear to my eye. I now have granchildren of my own and the thought of them being subjected to that kind of treatment fills me with dread. Also the disecting table made my blood run cold.

While there I saw an old chap walking with a stick and on inspection of his tie I noticed it was a German Luffwaffe association one. I honestly felt like pushing him over the balcony, but then I would have been no better than the people who commited such crimes. A visit is highly recomended.
  13. That Holocaust exhibition comes with a warning that it's not recommended for children under 14, and children must be closely supervised at all times. I didn't go in the last time we were there, as Angular Jnr. is only 5.

The Crimes against Humanity exhibition isn't recommended for anyone under 16!
  14. As I was planning to go to the Imperial War Museum in the next few weeks
    could anybody recomend a place to stay?
  15. If you are in the forces stay at the Union Jack club near Waterloo Stn. You can stay there if you are ex forces and have a copy of your discharge papers (police, ambulance also).