Imperial War Museum North

Just went down to Manchester for a week- end to visit my daughters and on Sunday they took us to Salford Quays, with a visit to the museum.

Well worth a visit, never been to the one in London, but this is excellent, many artefacts you wouldn't see in a traditional museum, many "family keepsakes" made up into displays, we found these some of the most moving, one was a soldier captured and imprisoned by the Japanese.

He had kept his few pitiful belongings, and the story behind them was told, along with a few photos, and the worst were his 2 belts, shown buckled.

One was before capture, a big lad, the second was on being freed, it would fit the waist of a young girl.

Up to date, on a plinth they had the remains of a Baghdad car bomb......

Couldn't manage it all, after a couple of hours, my wife couldn't bear any more, but we will return to see the rest.

What's On at IWM North : Museum Displays - IWM North

Glad you enjoyed, VTMC, you need plenty of time, if I dare say,
on your own to really enjoy the Place, I got some very funny
looks when I was a pretendy A10 attacking the ZSU234 in the
outside area, still Bugger the Civvies, and that Fcukin' GAU
weighs a ton, good job his Radar wasn't working!!!!

F

Flash Back

Abdul and Ali's First World War
IWM North, Manchester

Run by: IWM North

Meet a host of charming characters and discover tales of adventure in these interactive story sessions.
The 'charming characters' are infact a couple of Indian Muppets, called Abdul and Ali. I shit you not.

I've only been once but sadly wasn't impressed. Great art installation or even place of remembrance, but not so much a War Museum in my opinion.

I will try a few more exhibitions tho as it is very accessible with lots else around. I'll just skip the Abdul & Ali muppet show. I'd be very happy to see an exhibition of the British Raj's & other Empire countries contributions to both wars and other conflicts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your been very charitable, I thought it was shit.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I think you are being charitable calling it shit. Such a great big space that is half empty except for the ever popular "interactives and video presentations. IWM have lots in store (I've seen the stores) put it on display!

I thought it was shit, the best bit was my son sat on a nuclear bomb and re-enacted the end to Dr Stranglove. Other than that it was just disappointing.

I thought it was shit, the best bit was my son sat on a nuclear bomb and re-enacted the end to Dr Stranglove. Other than that it was just disappointing.
Not at IWM, but those things give me the willies. FAA museum has a WE177 next to a Buccaneer. I recognized it as soon as I saw it. Hairs on end, tingling spine, the works. Same thing happened in Washington DC at the Smithsonian. They have an SS20. I hated growing up with that threat, and the instruments of armageddon still have an effect on me.

Not at IWM, but those things give me the willies. FAA museum has a WE177 next to a Buccaneer. I recognized it as soon as I saw it. Hairs on end, tingling spine, the works. Same thing happened in Washington DC at the Smithsonian. They have an SS20. I hated growing up with that threat, and the instruments of armageddon still have an effect on me.
Think Cosford has a better selection at their Cold War hall, rather innocuous looking things now mind. To think we could've easily tipped over the edge with 'em, I see what you mean.

Any signs of improvement?

Sentenced to spend some time in t' North in May and wondered if it was worth the effort given that I will have to drag myself about 50 miles to get there.

I doubt it. Problem with IWM North its that the building is supposed to work as part of the exhibits. its how Liebskind designed it - the air shard for example. Problem is 99% of people don't get it & it passes them by. And rightly so. A museum is about exhibits & should be only about that, not some blokes self promotion through the style of a building & selling that to the client as some wholly interactive experience of the space & its exhibits. I bet most of you didn't know that the cafe space is actually an exhibit.....the space is designed the way it is to represent something. Fcuked if i can remember it tbh.

Overrated.