Imperial War Museum has to apologise for WOKE anti Churchill Rant on remembrance sunday

I imagine the education system is also partly to blame. History and the humanities have been completely removed from almost all colleges in the kingdom. Most colleges are vocational STEM. You only do history of you stay at a school and do it for GCSE.

A typical example is Bolton college, which I've picked entirely at random. You could do the same for almost any others. Vocational Training & Further Education » Bolton College
All the courses are vocational, there's nothing there to tell you about British cultural traditions, national identity, Western Civilization or what used to be called a 'Liberal Education'.

Even with GCSE/A level, it's all about WW1 and the inter war period and rise of the Nazis. Barely anything is about the problems Churchill faced in government. Most teachers are also raging lefties which probably doesn't help matters.

A year or so back primary school kids were running laps of their school to help show solidarity with the migrants...
History hasn’t been removed from the curriculum and nor has western culture etc. what has happened is that the versions of the above that are being taught are wildly at odds with the facts because the facts don’t fit the agenda being pedalled.

The rise of vocational training is mildly amusing because it is essentially reinventing the two tier education system of the pre 60s era the Left so love to hate. Pre Comprehensive the 11+ exam was a streaming exercise that actually helped the less able because it took them out of formalised classroom education and the pressures that placed on them at 15/16 after giving them a decent grounding in things like arithmetic, reading, writing etc. in Secondary School. They then went on to an Apprenticeship where they got paid to learn a trade they could then use to earn a decent living. Brighter kids went in to Grammar Schools and became Accountants etc. Both streams benefitted because the less bright weren’t pressured to perform against brighter kids and the brighter kids weren’t held back by the need to teach to the lowest common denominator.

Choosing Bolton as an example is also fraught with danger because it is wholly unrepresentative of large swathes of the nation as it is largely an immigrant population which brings its own obfuscation to the debate through the demands of religious and cultural sensitivities to which most of the education sector seems to be hopelessness in thrall and practicalities such as large numbers of kids having English as a second language, often to the extent that they don’t speak it to any functional degree. Running laps around the playground in support of refugees is unsurprising for the above reasons, the only surprise being that at least kids are out doing some form of exercise.

Interesting that the subject of Rap music came up previously. Like most here, I can’t abide it and lament the bastardisation of the English Language it represents. Apart from anything else, I haven’t a clue what they’re saying.

I had a conversation a few years back with a Professor of English (or whatever the proper title is) from a proper university who unusually is not of the woke variety. He made a very interesting point in that the language is constantly evolving and that this argument on the destruction of our version of English has probably been going on for centuries with each older generation decrying the “abuse“ of it by younger generations.

Try this: “or wher comanded he virginitee”. It’s a line from The Wife of Bath’s Tale from the Canterbury Tales written by Geoffrey Chaucer in about 1386. WTF does it mean? It translates as “show me where He (God) tells women they should preserve their virginity”. As an aside, the Tale is viciously feminist in its telling and makes repeated and acidic attacks on miscogeny throughout, radical beyond anything the wokerati could conceive by the standards of the day.

People reading that now would probably struggle to understand it but to the people in Chaucer’s time it was English. People of Chaucer’s era would probably label Shakespeare a linguistic vandal when he came up with this:

”Alas poor Yorrick, I knew him”. This is Hamlet addressing the skull of Yorrick, his father‘s late Jester written in around 1599. It’s rather more understandable on the face of it but is almost universally misunderstood in what Shakespeare was actually saying. Before researching it after the conversation with the university bod I had the same interpretation as many of you probably have, that Hamlet knew a bloke called Yorrick. What Shakespeare was really saying, and what would have been readily interpreted by audiences of the day was that Shakespeare, through his character Hamlet, was bemoaning the short and transient nature of our lifespan.

Shakespeare would have a conversation with the average Arrser and go “Alas poor Yorrick, I haven’t the faintest idea what language thou speaketh”.

Interesting perspective IMHO, language is a living thing.

And then along came Rap music. Which is shite.

History hasn’t been removed from the curriculum and nor has western culture etc. what has happened is that the versions of the above that are being taught are wildly at odds with the facts because the facts don’t fit the agenda being pedalled.

The rise of vocational training is mildly amusing because it is essentially reinventing the two tier education system of the pre 60s era the Left so love to hate. Pre Comprehensive the 11+ exam was a streaming exercise that actually helped the less able because it took them out of formalised classroom education and the pressures that placed on them at 15/16 after giving them a decent grounding in things like arithmetic, reading, writing etc. in Secondary School. They then went on to an Apprenticeship where they got paid to learn a trade they could then use to earn a decent living. Brighter kids went in to Grammar Schools and became Accountants etc. Both streams benefitted because the less bright weren’t pressured to perform against brighter kids and the brighter kids weren’t held back by the need to teach to the lowest common denominator.

Choosing Bolton as an example is also fraught with danger because it is wholly unrepresentative of large swathes of the nation as it is largely an immigrant population which brings its own obfuscation to the debate through the demands of religious and cultural sensitivities to which most of the education sector seems to be hopelessness in thrall and practicalities such as large numbers of kids having English as a second language, often to the extent that they don’t speak it to any functional degree. Running laps around the playground in support of refugees is unsurprising for the above reasons, the only surprise being that at least kids are out doing some form of exercise.

Find me a college that teaches history, the vast majority have been turned into STEM/UTC establishments which teach vocational courses.

Bolton is also comparable with every major town and city in the UK.

Find me a college that teaches history, the vast majority have been turned into STEM/UTC establishments which teach vocational courses.

Bolton is also comparable with every major town and city in the UK.
Sandbach High School. History was compulsory up to selecting GSCE options and was available as an option at both GCSE and A level. Ditto Sandbach School and the 5 High Schools in Crewe.

There is 1 UTC in Crewe so versus the 7 other local High Schools, it’s hardly “the vast majority”. Another key point here is that UTCs only take kids from Year 9 onwards (age 13). Prior to that they will have done Years 7-8 in a “regular” High School. In those years history is a compulsory part of the curriculum and it is in Years 9-11 that kids study their Options to GCSE level which is where they can elect to drop some subjects, history being one of them.

Summary:

Reception and Years 1-8 inclusive, history is a mandatory part of the curriculum. Years 9-11 it’s a GCSE option as is leaving “school” to go to a UTC for a more vocationally based training*. You can also enter UTC at year 12 for A levels.

*The one in Crewe is heavily supported by Bentley, various rail companies and JCB. JCB also have their own Academy in Uttoxeter. I know several kids that have gone there and it’s been the making of them. One from my daughter’s year was fast approaching permanent exclusion from “regular” High School and was accumulating an impressive criminal record for so called low level offences. The kid was a mess. She’s just started at Manchester University doing something like Bio Mechanical Engineering and 3 months in has won a scholarship from some US firm that is apparently world leading in the field (I’ve no idea, I can barely spell it).

The ethnic make up of the area has a BAME population comfortably <5%. In my daughter’s year there were 1 black kid (now at Bristol reading Medicine) and Muslim twins (both now at Oxbridge reading IIRC Classics and Engineering). Exceptions perhaps but not exceptional.

I’d therefore disagree with your assertion that Bolton is typical of any large town or city. My point on Bolton was that it has a particular ethnic make up. Crewe is probably the same sort of size and similarly predominantly working class, manual workers but beyond a sizeable Polish population and more recently an increasing East European group it is still far from diverse.

Bolton, Blackburn, Oldham, Leeds, Bradford and Manchester all have much more diverse populations and all for the same reason; a 50’s going on 60’s collapse of Empire and old Imperial populations migrating to England as a source of cheap labour for the mills. Subsequent generations are either descendants of the original 1st generation migrants or those unrelated but who have naturally gravitated to those areas because there is an already established cultural (and religious) foundation there that they are more comfortable with. The same happened in Luton (Vauxhall Cars), Stoke on Trent (potteries), Bristol (tobacco) and interestingly, Northampton (shoes). That all of those manufacturing bases have now largely collapsed, and with it the associated jobs is in no small part a factor in why these populations are becoming increasingly disenfranchised (with the active encouragement of those who see it as useful for furthering their agendas).

The same was true of Afro Caribbean migrant populations but rarely into manual labour, more usually public transport etc and more recently Eastern Europeans into East Anglia for farming.

Interestingly the areas of employment never really colonised by BAME migrants was heavy manual labour such as mining, steel production and docks which is why South Wales, the North East and cities such as Liverpool have comparatively small migrant populations especially if viewed historically. These were almost universally the realm of Irish and Scottish migrants dating back to the navvies of the original Industrial Revolution.

Small pockets of migrants existed elsewhere such as Chinese and Jews in the East End (laundries, opium dens and people trafficking for the former, tailoring for the latter and it is only comparatively recently that the area has “changed hands” to other Asian groups. Ditto the western suburbs of London, Southall etc with large Indian populations. The same principle applies however, birds of a feather tend to lead to very dense but largely isolated areas where migrants congregate with large parts of the U.K., even quite sizeable urban areas with comparatively low migrant populations, even more so for non European migrants.

Last edited:
You think throwing kids off balconies is funny?

Michael Jackson walt.
General-Sir-Michael-Jacks-003.jpg

was HE on the balcony?

Sandbach High School. History was compulsory up to selecting GSCE options and was available as an option at both GCSE and A level. Ditto Sandbach School and the 5 High Schools in Crewe.

There is 1 UTC in Crewe so versus the 7 other local High Schools, it’s hardly “the vast majority”. Another key point here is that UTCs only take kids from Year 9 onwards (age 13). Prior to that they will have done Years 7-8 in a “regular” High School. In those years history is a compulsory part of the curriculum and it is in Years 9-11 that kids study their Options to GCSE level which is where they can elect to drop some subjects, history being one of them.

Summary:

Reception and Years 1-8 inclusive, history is a mandatory part of the curriculum. Years 9-11 it’s a GCSE option as is leaving “school” to go to a UTC for a more vocationally based training*. You can also enter UTC at year 12 for A levels.

*The one in Crewe is heavily supported by Bentley, various rail companies and JCB. JCB also have their own Academy in Uttoxeter. I know several kids that have gone there and it’s been the making of them. One from my daughter’s year was fast approaching permanent exclusion from “regular” High School and was accumulating an impressive criminal record for so called low level offences. The kid was a mess. She’s just started at Manchester University doing something like Bio Mechanical Engineering and 3 months in has won a scholarship from some US firm that is apparently world leading in the field (I’ve no idea, I can barely spell it).

The ethnic make up of the area has a BAME population comfortably <5%. In my daughter’s year there were 1 black kid (now at Bristol reading Medicine) and Muslim twins (both now at Oxbridge reading IIRC Classics and Engineering). Exceptions perhaps but not exceptional.

I’d therefore disagree with your assertion that Bolton is typical of any large town or city. My point on Bolton was that it has a particular ethnic make up. Crewe is probably the same sort of size and similarly predominantly working class, manual workers but beyond a sizeable Polish population and more recently an increasing East European group it is still far from diverse.

Bolton, Blackburn, Oldham, Leeds, Bradford and Manchester all have much more diverse populations and all for the same reason; a 50’s going on 60’s collapse of Empire and old Imperial populations migrating to England as a source of cheap labour for the mills. Subsequent generations are either descendants of the original 1st generation migrants or those unrelated but who have naturally gravitated to those areas because there is an already established cultural (and religious) foundation there that they are more comfortable with. The same happened in Luton (Vauxhall Cars), Stoke on Trent (potteries), Bristol (tobacco) and interestingly, Northampton (shoes). That all of those manufacturing bases have now largely collapsed, and with it the associated jobs is in no small part a factor in why these populations are becoming increasingly disenfranchised (with the active encouragement of those who see it as useful for furthering their agendas).

The same was true of Afro Caribbean migrant populations but rarely into manual labour, more usually public transport etc and more recently Eastern Europeans into East Anglia for farming.

Interestingly the areas of employment never really colonised by BAME migrants was heavy manual labour such as mining, steel production and docks which is why South Wales, the North East and cities such as Liverpool have comparatively small migrant populations especially if viewed historically. These were almost universally the realm of Irish and Scottish migrants dating back to the navvies of the original Industrial Revolution.

Small pockets of migrants existed elsewhere such as Chinese and Jews in the East End (laundries, opium dens and people trafficking for the former, tailoring for the latter and it is only comparatively recently that the area has “changed hands” to other Asian groups. Ditto the western suburbs of London, Southall etc with large Indian populations. The same principle applies however, birds of a feather tend to lead to very dense but largely isolated areas where migrants congregate with large parts of the U.K., even quite sizeable urban areas with comparatively low migrant populations, even more so for non European migrants.

So that's a no then?

Latest Threads