Imperial War Museum Duxford

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Run_Charlie!, Apr 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone been? Jeebus the B52 is big, the Mil-24 Hind is ugly, and the SR71 Blackbird........... fast!
  2. yes.. the mother in law lives nearby....................

(apart from that it's a nice place)
  3. I have been, it's a great day out.

Check out the land forces museum too.
  4. It is a great place to visit, better in the Spring or Summer if you go on a weekend you sometimes see them giving the planes a workout and practicing their displays and they also take some of the vehicles out for a spin aswell.
  5. I was there for the day when an air show was on. Great place. Also got to meet some pilots who fought in World War two.
  6. They have a lot more stored there than is on display. Across the other side of the road are their storage facilities where they have mock-ups of ships etc and some impressive ammunition displays including WW1 aircraft bombs (one of which was IIRC either an 1000lb bomb or maybe even a 2000lb bomb).

Well worth a visit. If you want to see the stuff not on display a phone call to the IWMin London is needed.
  7. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Excellent place for a day out. I live nearby, and years ago as an area car driver called during a very quiet night, got a vip tour from security and sat in drivers seat of Concorde.
    Land display is very good, although a bit weighted toward Anglians. Good displays hidden about in small huts too, including a wireless ops hut. Got to play with a morse key again. My kids disowned me.
  8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Concorde 002 IIRC, the second (British: 001 was French) pre-prototype. ISTR they delayed building the M11 across the end of Duxford's runway until after 002 had landed.

I did some consultancy in Bristol a decade ago. The company put me in a B&B where the owners were dead proud to have been able to watch 002 take off on the telly from Filton just down the road, then look out of the wondow and see it for real.
  9. well worth a visit - should be on every Arrsers 100 things to do before I am 40
  10. Great day out - we have our Regimental Museum there in the Land Warefare Centre.
    Would suggest that if you are visiting from afar go on a day when there is an airshow on too. Get there early for a fantastic day out and you can walk the museum too.
    They have a packed programme in the summer look on the IWM website.

Unfortunately flashing the MOD90 did not get me a discount when I last visited. But a chat to our Museum currator (since passed away) did highlight that he could get me in through main gate if I called and he met me there when on regimental business so to speak.

11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I was one of the dozens of county mounties on duty the day Concorde flew in. The heavy plant kit was waiting to cut the runway, and there were hundreds of gawkers. The runway was only just big enough for the bird to land, so not sure how many people were there to watch it land and how many to see if it didn't!

Good museum, worth a day of anyone's time. Especially for old farts like me, who spend thier time saying " I rode in one of those. That was the 'plane that flew me to ......someplace" and so on.
  12. Changed days I visted once and the only MoD 90 free entry were your lot fantastic day and great watching them working on the planes as well. Wife wants to go and see it as well might have to spend a weekend down there sometime soon.
  13. I was there. It's a really nice place. Got a few piccys of Concorde and some bombers when i was there.