Imperial Services Champion at Bayonet Fighting

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by ACAB, May 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just started a new book, 'Six Months Without Sundays' by Max Benitz which is about the Scots Guards in Helmand in 2010. In the preamble he mentions that the last 'Imperial Services Champion at Bayonet Fighting' was CSM Rioch (SG). Apparently this Competition was discontinued in 1956.

Does any of the real 'Old N Bold' know anything about this Competition? I appreciate it would hardly be blood and guts on the sand as per Spartacus but I would be interested to find out what it involved.

And no, google is not my friend, I've looked!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. It appears to be a sport akin to fencing. I wouldn't mind a go at that.

More interestingly, though. The same search also turned topless1.jpg up this -
    • Like Like x 4
  3. I was told that it was a sport that was done by the HAC in years gone-by. The picture above (not the ladies) accurately depicts the fight. It's like fencing, but with mock rifles with sword/bayonet attached.
  4. My sports master at school was a champion Army pentathelete and mad keen on fencing. He would make us practice in shorts with only the mask for protection: This was fine if practicing foil or even epee but with the sabre you can score on the thighs and arms. The sight of 15 kids slashing each other's bare legs with whippy metal swords will always remain with me.
    There was nothing homoerotic about this at all.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Didn't the BBC televise this?

Seriously though, sword (bayonet) fighting would seem to be an odd activity to try and make into a refined sport (if that is what it was), presumably it was for ORs only?
  6. I think Jimmy Saville tried to get the rights to it
  7. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

There y'go.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Think there's still a bayonet-fighting rifle in the London Irish Museum.
  9. So would it be mixed bouts? Bayonet versus sword and bayonet versus bayonet?
  10. I hope the competition looked a bit like this:
  11. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

And this sort of thing

12. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  13. Apparently a much more complex fight scene had be choreographed but on the day of the shoot Harrison Ford had contracted a hideous case of Tut's revenge. A shorter sequence (as shown) was filmed so as to avoid any unfortunate bowel issues.