Imperial Services Champion at Bayonet Fighting

I've just started a new book, 'Six Months Without Sundays' by Max Benitz which is about the Scots Guards in Helmand in 2010. In the preamble he mentions that the last 'Imperial Services Champion at Bayonet Fighting' was CSM Rioch (SG). Apparently this Competition was discontinued in 1956.

Does any of the real 'Old N Bold' know anything about this Competition? I appreciate it would hardly be blood and guts on the sand as per Spartacus but I would be interested to find out what it involved.

And no, google is not my friend, I've looked!

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
It appears to be a sport akin to fencing. I wouldn't mind a go at that.

saber_vs_bayonet.jpg

More interestingly, though. The same search also turned topless1.jpg up this -

P

PrinceAlbert

I was told that it was a sport that was done by the HAC in years gone-by. The picture above (not the ladies) accurately depicts the fight. It's like fencing, but with mock rifles with sword/bayonet attached.

My sports master at school was a champion Army pentathelete and mad keen on fencing. He would make us practice in shorts with only the mask for protection: This was fine if practicing foil or even epee but with the sabre you can score on the thighs and arms. The sight of 15 kids slashing each other's bare legs with whippy metal swords will always remain with me.
There was nothing homoerotic about this at all.

My sports master at school was a champion Army pentathelete and mad keen on fencing. He would make us practice in shorts with only the mask for protection: This was fine if practicing foil or even epee but with the sabre you can score on the thighs and arms. The sight of 15 kids slashing each other's bare legs with whippy metal swords will always remain with me.
There was nothing homoerotic about this at all.
Didn't the BBC televise this?

Seriously though, sword (bayonet) fighting would seem to be an odd activity to try and make into a refined sport (if that is what it was), presumably it was for ORs only?

So would it be mixed bouts? Bayonet versus sword and bayonet versus bayonet?

And this sort of thing

[video=youtube_share;4DzcOCyHDqc]http://youtu.be/4DzcOCyHDqc[/video]

And this sort of thing

Apparently a much more complex fight scene had be choreographed but on the day of the shoot Harrison Ford had contracted a hideous case of Tut's revenge. A shorter sequence (as shown) was filmed so as to avoid any unfortunate bowel issues.

And this sort of thing

[Nerd]The scene was originally written as an epic fight between Indy and the swordsman. But Ford had a dose of the shits and hadn't slept the night before filming, so he suggested Indy just shoot the bad guy instead. The rest, of course, is history.:cool:[/Nerd]

EDIT: Egad! Beaten to the punch by Bigeye!:rage:

(Doffs hat)Well played sir!:)

[Nerd]The scene was originally written as an epic fight between Indy and the swordsman. But Ford had a dose of the shits and hadn't slept the night before filming, so he suggested Indy just shoot the bad guy instead. The rest, of course, is history.:cool:[/Nerd]
You don't say.

There is a bayonet fighting practice rifle in the HAC museum. It was presented to the HAC by HRH Prince Philip when he opened the Museum in Oct 2011. Don't think it will help illuminate the process of bayonet fighting competitions though.

There is a bayonet fighting practice rifle in the HAC museum. It was presented to the HAC by HRH Prince Philip when he opened the Museum in Oct 2011. Don't think it will help illuminate the process of bayonet fighting competitions though.
No torch attached?