Imperial General Staff 1964

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by chippymick, Jun 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wiki tells me that:

Chief of the Imperial General Staff (CIGS) was the title of the professional commander of the British Army from 1908 until 1964. Prior to that period, the professional head of the army was entitled the Commander-in-Chief of the Forces (although briefly it had been Chief of the General Staff). Since 1964, the title of the head of the Army has been Chief of the General Staff.

Obviously the title "Imperial" was something of an anachronism by 1964 and needed to be dropped. That this happened in 64 is roughly coincident with the election of Wilsons Labour Government.

Are there any ancient arrsers who can tell me whether in fact this was labour party policy?

Also, prior to the changes in 1964, the Australian CGS was also "Chief of the Australian Section of the Imperial General Staff"

Were there any other Commonwealth sections of the IGS?

If so, what happened to them after the change?

Thanks in advance.

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

No, the Labour Government was elected in mid-October 1964. The three services had been combined with the old policy-making MoD in April of that year to form the new Ministry of Defence.

3. RP578.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Any hints at to what happened to the "sections" post 64

I assume that these existed to coordinate attendance at staff college.

Another bad guess?