Imperial Eagles and Captured Colours

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Lepus, Jul 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently been re-reading Richard Holmes Redcoat, and as it seems that eagles and colours were so sought after by the opposing nations during the times of the Napoleonic Wars, what happened to them afterwards?

The same goes for our colours that were lost, is there any information?

2. Mmmmm I too have often wondered about this (and regularly revisit Redcoat), are they in Westminster Abbey? Or have they be handed back with apologies by Tone

• Like Like x 1
  3. Its the eagles that particularly interest me, were they retained by the relevant regiments? Regiments such as the Scots Greys certainly had a few away from the froggies during the wars.

Not a clue.

4. I am checking in so as to be automatically notified of further postings to this thread. I hope we hear more on it.

5. The Royla Anglians still have an Eagle which the French keep asking for and not getting. I'm not too up on the actual details.

The 1st Bn of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers have the Wilmhelmstahl (or Drummers') Colour, a Colour captured from the French at (you can guess) Wilhelmstahl. It can be paraded by either Bn as a third Colour on the Parade nearest to St George's Day (the Regimental Day).

6. 44th of Foot (Essex Regt) captured the Eagle Standard of the French 62nd Regt at SALAMANCA. Celebrated each 22 jul at Salamanca day. Eagle is still held in egt Musuem and its' return is regularly requesed by the guuys who lost it - but sadly they are still French.

• Like Like x 2
  7. This is all heartwarming stuff in these troubled times! Prehaps all of the captured standards and Eagles could be brought together for a televised parade every now and then.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Perhaps we could add small metal heads of all the people we have smacked up in the intervening years?

9. Outstanding - outstanding suggestion. Then, on the afternoon of 11 November, we could have a ceremony where delegated representatives gather around the trophies and small heads and urine upon them from a great height. This should remind those who see us as a wounded lion not to fcuk with us. Richard Holmes to read selected passages from his works as the amber liquid flows.
    Put me down for two tickets.

10. I remember reading a note about a Sergeant Masterton of the 87th Foot (1st Royal Irish Fusiliers) who killed the Ensign carrying an eagle standard at the Battle of Barrosa (5th. March 1811) and cried out "Bejasus boys, I have the cuckoo".

11. I'm sure I've read somewhere that that eagle was stolen a lot of years ago.

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

What is it with these clowns ?
    Do they want them back so they can claim they were never lost ?
    Will they do a Nip style rewrite of the history books ?

From the school textbook "Le Monde According to Les Frogs" by Jaques le Fromage-Mange Rendre-Singe
    Or they could possibly accept that fighting isn't a French trait, and wind their scraggy necks in.

[​IMG]

13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Come on guys. We have just passed the 14th July when the French celebrate the greatest victory they have had and call it Bastille day.

Now who was it the French were fighting and beat then - ah yes, The French.

14. Hello,

There are still (at least) 8 French Eagles in London if you would like to go and take a look at them, The Museum at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea has 6 ("The Chelsea Eagles"):

o 13ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne and 51 Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne (2 Eagles): Captured on 14th August 1812 after the fall of Madrid, it was taken in Prince Joseph's Reiro Palace.

o 39ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne: Found by the British Army in the Ceira river in Portugal on 15th June 1811 after Marshall Massena's retreat from his positions in the front of the lines of Torres Vedras.

o 26ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne and 82ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne (2 Eagles): Taken by the British forces following the success of a siege of Martinique in the West Indies, and the Eagle was captured on 24th February 1809.

o 66ème Régiment d'lnfanterie de Ligne: appear to have lost their Eagle and its colour as well as two Colour Pikes on 27th January 1810 again in the West Indies at the island Guadeloupe.

The Royal Hospital also housed the Eagle of the 8eme Ligne, taken by Sgt Masterson at Barrossa but this was stolen a few years after it went on Display rumours abound that it was "repatriated" by sympathetic frenchmen, but a more likely explanation was that some enterprising thief believed the rumor (common in the army at the time) that they were made of gold.

Just next door at the Royal Army Museum they have the Eagle of the 105ème Ligne (http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/exhibitions/shortVisits/iconic/page8.shtml) taken by either Captain A Clark-Kennedy or Cpl Stiles depending on which story you wish to read.

The Royal Fusliers Musuem at the Tower of London also has an Eagle that they took at Martinique, although I've not seen this one and I'm ensure which regiment it belonged too.

The Scots Greys eagle to which Xplosiverab refers (sorry, they only got the one) is at their Museum at Edinburgh Castle.

Bit more information on various standards and trophies we took from the French is online at the Napoleon Series

By way of a bit of Balance the French did have a number (between 6 - 8) British regimental and kings colours that they took from Colbourne's Brigade at Albuera and at Bergen-op-Zoom, but i think there are only two full flags on display now, the rest having been damaged in a fire in the 1840s

Hope that is of interest to someone.

Cheers,

Dave

edit: Fixed the Regimental Number of the Eagle taken at Barossa.

• Like Like x 2
  15. That is a great write up. Many thanks. Is it sheer co-incidence that the 87th Foot captured the Eagle of the French 87eme Ligne, or am I reading something wrong. Sorry if I am being dim.