Impending institutional 'blind eye' scandal?

One of the theories being postulated for the the spike in covid-19 cases in Leicester has been the poor working practices in the garment industry. However, it is now emerging as a new scandal of dozens, potentially hundreds, of small factories employing illegal migrants and others in sweatshop/modern slavery conditions. What makes this all the more galling is that the local authorities, regulatory bodies, and potentially central government have known of this for quite some time, but no apparent action has been taken.

There are also rumours circulating that the owner of very successful Boohoo fashon chain has been splashing the cash around and to ensure acquiescence from officials.

I wonder if this is going to be the new Rotherham, Sheffield, Oxford scandal?

This is another side of the Grenfell effect whereby the deregulation of fire safety has had more predictable consequences, whole industries going wild west.

Last edited:
However, it is now emerging as a new scandal of dozens, potentially hundreds, of small factories employing illegal migrants and others in sweatshop/modern slavery conditions.
Nothing new about it.

25 years ago it was Distribution Centres ( especially those close to the M1 ) of large Companies. Suffice to say that management at these Distribution Centres were getting backhanders,

Just add it to the list of

Taxi drivers
Builders
Sham marriages
Education Visa's
Sex Industry Workers

And a load of others that I have forgotten.

Nothing new about it.

25 years ago it was Distribution Centres ( especially those close to the M1 ) of large Companies. Suffice to say that management at these Distribution Centres were getting backhanders,

Just add it to the list of

Taxi drivers
Builders
Sham marriages
Education Visa's
Sex Industry Workers

And a load of others that I have forgotten.
But will any action be taken this time? Especially when there's a whiff of mid (high?) level corruption. In the sex grooming scandals, at least there wasn't any allegations of corruption, more to do with concerns about 'community cohesion' and and worries about accusations of institutional racism.

Which Government Agency is responsible for this and how understaffed are they?
Aren't Trading standards and environmental health at local authority level?
Guess it will be blamed on Tory Austerity as usual

Not just a problem in Britain, but also elsewhere. When large sums of money are involved, standards, morals etc go straight down the tubes.

But will any action be taken this time? Especially when there's a whiff of mid (high?) level corruption. In the sex grooming scandals, at least there wasn't any allegations of corruption, more to do with concerns about 'community cohesion' and and worries about accusations of institutional racism.

The 'community cohesion' being Indian's (or Pakistani's) exploiting their own.

I'll wager that a lot of Councillors and people who should be sweating it, but it's OK, as any inquiry will find that lessons will be learnt . . ad infinitum ad nauseam

Remember when Panorama would have gone undercover and exposed something like this?
Brown on brown ain't cool bro

I'll wager that a lot of Councillors and people who should be sweating it, but it's OK, as any inquiry will find that lessons will be learnt . . ad infinitum ad nauseam
Pakistanis and Bangladeshis mainly. Indians are into the professions and technology

Dr Death

War Hero
Cheap Cloths = Cheap Labour.
Now its in the press its a shock to everyone suddenly.
You can bet in China its done the same, society want to pay lowest price.
You get that by paying low wages with poor work conditions.

Cheap Cloths = Cheap Labour.
Now its in the press its a shock to everyone suddenly.
You can bet in China its done the same, society want to pay lowest price.
You get that by paying low wages with poor work conditions.
The added issue this time are wider public health concerns. I wonder how many irregular migrants have died and quietly buried somewhere, to avoid further detection?

Boxer96

Old-Salt
And who was Leicester East MP for 32 years until he "stepped down"??
Nigel Keith Anthony Standish Vaz .
Quelle Surprise!!

Has that replaced 'Don't worry old boy, YOU'LL be looked after', the usual mantra of the British establishment, or is that only said behind closed doors?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
ITN, a few years ago, started doing a series of stories looking at what goes on in all those suspiciously well-appointed 'sheds' that you can see in many back gardens as you fly into Heathrow.

Basically, it was all about illegal immigration. They managed to get in and interview a few people who'd come here having paid large sums, only to have their passports taken away and be forced into the illegal economy.

Then, suddenly, the coverage stopped.

The reports that did get aired noted that any inspection of such properties has to give 24 hours notice - in other words, by the time officialdom gets all evidence has been (re)moved.

Jeremy Corbyn was bleating a few weeks back that there are those in certain communities who are 'scared' to come forward with Covid-19. The implication was that they're here illegally and they'd get caught.

I think that if there was a proper look at some communities the true scale of things would be appalling, as would how some 'communities' treat their own.

Latest Threads