Impact to be assessed on next season 20/21

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Pigeon shooting : In view of last night's restrictions , can we shoot ?
I'd be on my own , it's pest control , so part of farming but are the police likely to be arsey about it ?
I live in an area where we simply do not see the police .
I could phone them and ask , but that would simply mark their card and invite a " No "
Fortunately , I have a good stock of cartridges , as gun shops are now probably closed .
Comments ?
You are allowed out for exercise once per day with social distancing in force. I see nothing wrong with a countryside armed ramble once per day, normal firearms etc rules still apply.

marty870

War Hero
I'd be on my own , it's pest control , so part of farming but are the police likely to be arsey about it ?
I could phone them and ask , but that would simply mark their card and invite a " No "
Fortunately , I have a good stock of cartridges , as gun shops are now probably closed .
Comments ?
Your taking your daily exercise and youre on your own. I'd go ahead and I certainly wouldn't be asking the Police!

ugly

LE
We have been asked to put 50% deposit down asap by the game bird farmer, I think its reasonable given the circumstances. The boss is adamant we could have informal walked up at the very least.

The latest from BASC ...
Coronavirus and shooting – an update
After consulting the government, BASC has updated its advice for conducting essential pest control in the UK while the current Coronavirus restrictions remain in place.

In line with the Prime Minister’s statement, when making a decision on whether or not to conduct essential wildlife management, you should consider:

• Is the landowner, or person responsible for giving permission, happy for you to be on the land in the current crisis?

• Can you maintain effective social distancing?

• Is the management involved absolutely essential?

• Is there a risk that your activities could result in the emergency services being called out? For example, someone reporting shots being fired.

• Should you inform the local police in advance that you are going out? If you do, secure the reference number for the call.

Everyone’s circumstances are different, so individual decisions will have to be made, although the onus will be on remaining off the land. So-called ‘recreational shooting’ or taking clients shooting are ruled out at present.

Be aware that you should be able to justify your decision if you are challenged by the enforcement authorities, or you may risk a fine and may put your certificate at risk.

BASC has published a number of FAQs around Coronavirus and shooting. These are on the dedicated Coronavirus page on our website.

Lambing is gaining in momentum so my protective Charlie bashing needs to be stepped up accordingly never been more busy.

Keep in touch with farms by 'phone - all good so far,

ugly

LE
Managed to get out and start topping up feeders for the survivors of last season. Only half a bucket in each one, that's plenty. The ground was dry enough to use the farm landy as the quad is being serviced.

Lots of lambing going on around here , so the crows , foxes and magpies are getting hit hard .
We now have red kites here ( N Essex ) which we never had before , can only imagine the increase in sheep rearing has brought them this spring

ugly

LE
The Colonel has emailed the shoot, offering two options, stump up early and we get the full amount of birds, do nothing and we get half and the option that no one wants which is to shut down for a year.

Oops

Old-Salt
Comments ?
It's a simple 'Yes' from where I'm standing,
Shooting over new sowings, veg plants etc.
No brainer.

Plod would be reminded about the upsurge of (posh) cars depositing their entitled drivers bringing their pooches out of town to sh*t on our grass fields, in quite forceful terms...

The more expensive the car , the more vitriolic the abuse, twunts.

Oops, reference your last abserf****nglutly right.

Meaty Towers has no through road it has a track of some 500 yards in length.

It has a gate at a private road/track junction.

On the gate is a BFO sign which reads: "Private Road, No Public Access, No Turning, No Parking, No Liability Accepted For Any Vehicular Damage Caused."

Pretty obvious, one would have thought.

Apparently not though, over the last few days I've had a total of 7 cars each of which had at least 3 Pax turn up at the house asking for directions or somesuch bollo*** . After the first one I stopped playing nice and let the dawgs out first.

Let them do a Land Shark impression for a few minutes then casually wander outside and sat on the wall, brew in hand (Usually).

When the message is not correctly internalised I start up the tractor, the one with the haylage tines fitted.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We’ve officially shit canned the season.

There is no way we can all get together and do the work required to look after 2500 birds in the current climate.

It’s also started to hit home just how much work certain members put in. Our shoot captain does about 30 extra days work a year keeping things ticking over. And he drives up from Grange over Sands which is well over an hour away.

It’s not unprecedented. We shit canned the season after foot and mouth too and recovered from that.

ugly

LE
It’s not unprecedented. We shit canned the season after foot and mouth too and recovered from that.
I cant recall that as I wasn't in the same shoot, I do however now have time during the work from home regime to put in 2 hours a day during the day sanctioned by my daytime employers as a work break and paid for. I just wish I was feeling better.
The Colonel so far has had some pretty solid responses to his email mainly with carry on as normal. I do feel however that organising work parties will be impossible. I may have to allocate jobs to members and hope they do them.

ugly

LE
Oops, reference your last abserf****nglutly right.

Meaty Towers has no through road it has a track of some 500 yards in length.

It has a gate at a private road/track junction.

On the gate is a BFO sign which reads: "Private Road, No Public Access, No Turning, No Parking, No Liability Accepted For Any Vehicular Damage Caused."

Pretty obvious, one would have thought.

Apparently not though, over the last few days I've had a total of 7 cars each of which had at least 3 Pax turn up at the house asking for directions or somesuch bollo*** . After the first one I stopped playing nice and let the dawgs out first.

Let them do a Land Shark impression for a few minutes then casually wander outside and sat on the wall, brew in hand (Usually).

When the message is not correctly internalised I start up the tractor, the one with the haylage tines fitted.
We are lucky in that although the estate is lived on by many tenants the roads are all private and well posted. The hardest bit is getting tenants guests to keep dogs on a lead near pens. Apart from that the estate is managed by an agent so if a salesman calls I just tell them to speak to the agents.

The_Duke

LE
Our committee has given two alternatives being carry on, but accepting that payment is a full commitment and non refundable in the event that the season is lost due to continued lockdown, or just write the season off.

Carrying on is likely to involve reduced numbers of birds, a later start to the season and other sacrifices as we would lose out on payments in lieu of work days etc.

I would be happy to take the risk, but am lucky enough to be able to take the financial hit. Given the numbers of retired members I suspect the scales will tip towards cancel the season.

Oops

Old-Salt
We’ve officially shit canned the season.

There is no way we can all get together and do the work required to look after 2500 birds in the current climate.

It’s also started to hit home just how much work certain members put in. Our shoot captain does about 30 extra days work a year keeping things ticking over. And he drives up from Grange over Sands which is well over an hour away.

Bugger.
Have you much potential for owt wild wise?

The Lad that works for us, his brother just been laid off from a certain hatchery/ game farm I'm sure you'll know.
Dunno what's happening to the stock, it'll not be a happy ending I fear.

Oops

Old-Salt
We are lucky in that although the estate is lived on by many tenants the roads are all private and well posted. The hardest bit is getting tenants guests to keep dogs on a lead near pens. Apart from that the estate is managed by an agent so if a salesman calls I just tell them to speak to the agents.
Without being too nosey, is there anything written into tenancy agreements re. trespass?
One of my landlords has it in the T&C's we have to 'challenge and remove' anyone without authorization.

It led to the most 'exciting' of times.
The grazing was sh*t but the widgeon.......

I cant recall that as I wasn't in the same shoot, I do however now have time during the work from home regime to put in 2 hours a day during the day sanctioned by my daytime employers as a work break and paid for. I just wish I was feeling better.
The Colonel so far has had some pretty solid responses to his email mainly with carry on as normal. I do feel however that organising work parties will be impossible. I may have to allocate jobs to members and hope they do them.
How about 6 or 7 walk up days, finishing at lunch ?

ugly

LE
Without being too nosey, is there anything written into tenancy agreements re. trespass?
One of my landlords has it in the T&C's we have to 'challenge and remove' anyone without authorization.

It led to the most 'exciting' of times.
The grazing was sh*t but the widgeon.......
Ive no idea to be honest

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bugger.
Have you much potential for owt wild wise?

The Lad that works for us, his brother just been laid off from a certain hatchery/ game farm I'm sure you'll know.
Dunno what's happening to the stock, it'll not be a happy ending I fear.
There’s alway stuff left over from last season, hopefully we’ll have some wild birds.

It’s quite a biggish shoot though, we usually average 70 birds every Saturday throughout the season.

We certainly won’t be sustaining those sort of numbers.

Me and the keeper will continue to feed up the woods. If we get one or two walked up days then it’s worth the effort.

Latest Threads