Impact of deployment on partners mental health...

I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this, so please feel free to delete/ignore...

My husband is serving in the air force but the first time he was deployed to Afghanistan I was his girlfriend and just starting my doctorate in clinical psychology.

The "support" (I didn't get anything, other than a booklet outlining how best to look after my children......considering I also don't have children) I got as a girlfriend alongside my need to find a thesis inspired me to look more into the impact of deployment on partners of British Armed Forces personnel. I was pretty shocked to find that this has NEVER been done with British military partners! I actually couldn't believe it considering America seem so far ahead with their research...

I decided then that I would focus my thesis on researching this further to try and highlight and create more insight into what partners go through too. So, I have created an online survey to explore the effects of deployment on the mental health of British Armed Forces partners. I was told about this forum by someone on Facebook in the support group for partners and so I joined.

I am just looking to see whether there might be anyone interested in completing the online survey. I am really trying to do the research justice but I am really struggling to get the numbers for a representative sample. I have been disheartened that "charities" purporting to be there for families, partners, husbands and wives, have turned me away refusing to even put a post on their Facebook for me.

The closing date for this survey is Sunday 25th September at midnight.

As this is approaching I would really appreciate anyone who could complete the survey; thats husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, partners whose other half is serving or ex-serving and has been on deployment in the past 5 years, currently on deployment, or due for deployment in the next 12 months. You don't have to complete it in one go, just use the original link to return to it whenever you like.

If you complete the survey, you can enter a prize draw to win one of four £25 Amazon vouchers too!

I would be ever so grateful if you could do this for me and the research and to also share the blurb and link with others!

By clicking the link below you will be redirected to a page where you can find out more information and take part. It takes approximately 30 minutes, however, you can return to it as many times as you like to complete it.

If you could share this post and the link that would also be great!

Thank you!!!!

The impact of deployment on the mental health of military partners

Interesting project. Have you contacted the Families Federations? They may be able to publicise the questionnaire, and will almost certainly be interested in the results.

MHFA England might also be interested.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Charley, it might be worth posting this on Rear Party as well

RearParty - Front Page

That is the site set up by the COs for the wives, girlfriends, families of servicemen. You may get a response there from the very group you are seeking.

...Great, now they'll have academic justification for them whining about them having to run the house and look after the kids while we were 'fannying about with our mates, playing soldiers'.....

Cheers for that

PS Air force you say...hmm?

PPS There was a reason it was never done before Luv...no one GAF and the WAGs managed to cope up to now without all this attention seeking Americanisation of everything.. .....

Last edited:
...Great, now they'll have academic justification for them whining about them having to run the house and look after the kids while we were 'fannying about with our mates, playing soldiers'.....

Cheers for that

PS Air force you say...hmm?

PPS There was a reason it was never done before Luv...no one GAF and the WAGs managed to cope up to now without all this attention seeking Americanism of everything.. .....

Well you are a ray of sunshine this beautiful morning.

White Knighting eh? Bravo..... yeah, makes you wonder how all those wags managed in 14 - 18, 39 - 45, etc....
How do you know they did? Mental health was neither as well understood as it is now, nor was it spoken about as openly.

In any case, there's a difference between a war of national survival (in which there's a sense of 'all in it together') and the kind of operations undertaken now.

How do you know they did? Mental health was neither as well understood as it is now, nor was it spoken about as openly.

In any case, there's a difference between a war of national survival (in which there's a sense of 'all in it together') and the kind of operations undertaken now.
Because life went on and we're still here....that's how i know.

People coped/were tougher/didn't need to be attention whores /didn't need to justify or explain/excuse, every single aspect of their life and whether it was National survival or lesser Ops, the impact on the partner/family, of the separation and worry was/is still the same... this study as in most where individuals are concerned risks becoming too subjective and will be a whinge fest of epic proportions....worse than the Wive's Club after an early morning gin and tonic.....

But that's just my opinion and like yours, is equally valid/ worthless......

Its in stark contrast with the Foreign Office. If a post is attacked, or a diplomat is lost, or the Post has been in crises mode (eg responding to a major incident involving British nationals) TRIM is automatically offered to all partners and their families. Interesting to note that this isn't offered to my Defence Section colleagues by the MOD.

Last edited:
Because life went on and we're still here....that's how i know.

People coped/were tougher/didn't need to be attention whores /didn't need to justify or explain/excuse, every single aspect of their life and whether it was National survival or lesser Ops, the impact on the partner/family, of the separation and worry was/is still the same... this study as in most where individuals are concerned risks becoming too subjective and will be a whinge fest of epic proportions....worse than the Wive's Club after an early morning gin and tonic.....

But that's just my opinion and like yours, is equally valid/ worthless......
I suspect that your argument is specious, and note that you have not provided any evidence to support it.

Perhaps you think that KINFORMING should still be done by telegram.

You don't really understand what we're talking about, do you?
Doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to figure out that KINFORMING is informing next of kin.

You could easily do it by text. Be quicker and cheaper and save getting the colonel out of bed.

Quick text off the OC..or even better, the platoon sergeant as soon as he gets a minute, and she's in the know, isn't she? Or you could put it on Facebook and save her the trouble.

Welcome to the information age.

I suspect that your argument is specious, and note that you have not provided any evidence to support it.

Perhaps you think that KINFORMING should still be done by telegram.
Really?, so various stories about being a Military spouse told by Wive's, Aunts, and Grand Mothers,etc about my families last 5 generations of soldiering wasn't enough 'evidence' for me to comment?....where's your evidnece that it's any worse than being a deep sea fishersmans wife or coal miners/Policeman wife?..as for the telegraph bit, nice try at sarcasm..but we are not talking about kinforming are we, we are talking about how WAGs cope when their men are away on tours where only a very small percentage of them may actually see or be near danger... i've only said that they managed without the need to make a drama about it .......should have realized that you'd be the first to flounce though

So, a study asking for evidence from partners is bs, but evidence from those in your family who have been in a similar situation is not?

The fact is that you are suggesting, on the basis of a very small and perhaps inhibited sample, that there is no purpose in carrying out a proper and much larger study. Your viewpoint doesn't stand up to scrutiny, and that you now descend to personal insults to try to close down discussion shows that you know it.

So, a study asking for evidence from partners is bs, but evidence from those in your family who have been in a similar situation is not?

The fact is that you are suggesting, on the basis of a very small and perhaps inhibited sample, that there is no purpose in carrying out a proper and much larger study. Your viewpoint doesn't stand up to scrutiny, and that you now descend to personal insults to try to close down discussion shows that you know it.
Hmm?.. Best you go re read your post - No 7 of this thread, and think about pots and kettles being black, before you start accusing others of insulting people or isn't self awareness part of your make up?......I'll let other posters decide if there's any truth in that seeing as you have quite a habit of being an overweening, supercilious tw@t

. 6 women and 15 odd offspring, all related to being part of a military family isn't such a small sample unless you know plenty or brothers and cousin in the same service and some cases, the same Company and their wags/kids.
The years they have spent as Wags will be no doubt be equal to many of those who may respond in total....so what will be more relevant, the answers of 30 x wives of 4 years toms or the answers from 6 wives spanning over a hundred years? ....you see, any kind of survey can be distorted by these simple things

The OP wants to do a survey/research on the mental impact to WAGs/partners/families of those on Op Tours as - 'Shock horror, oh - my - gosh' - it hasn't been done before!!!....although, those who have done a few tours, know that it has really...albeit unofficially, and dealt with unofficially....you , being all, clever and trendy, support it, me being one of those dinosaurs that no one wants - but who everyone runs to in tears when it all goes pears shaped or to get them out of the shite - believes that it's unnecessary and is likely to only to give a false ,grief whoring, result because it will more than likely be too subjective and will fail to take into account the many positives that being an Army spouses has to offer - whether you partner is away somewhere gritty or not.....

That's what happens when you invite people to whinge, they often invent things to be part of the gang...in the old days they'd have a sob or two then get on with it, and that helped them cope, now you want to encourage some kind of research that if it's ever published, may give them an excuse and justification to fail ....

Meh.....

I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this, so please feel free to delete/ignore...

My husband is serving in the air force but the first time he was deployed to Afghanistan I was his girlfriend and just starting my doctorate in clinical psychology.

The "support" (I didn't get anything, other than a booklet outlining how best to look after my children......considering I also don't have children) I got as a girlfriend alongside my need to find a thesis inspired me to look more into the impact of deployment on partners of British Armed Forces personnel. I was pretty shocked to find that this has NEVER been done with British military partners! I actually couldn't believe it considering America seem so far ahead with their research...

I decided then that I would focus my thesis on researching this further to try and highlight and create more insight into what partners go through too. So, I have created an online survey to explore the effects of deployment on the mental health of British Armed Forces partners. I was told about this forum by someone on Facebook in the support group for partners and so I joined.

I am just looking to see whether there might be anyone interested in completing the online survey. I am really trying to do the research justice but I am really struggling to get the numbers for a representative sample. I have been disheartened that "charities" purporting to be there for families, partners, husbands and wives, have turned me away refusing to even put a post on their Facebook for me.

The closing date for this survey is Sunday 25th September at midnight.

As this is approaching I would really appreciate anyone who could complete the survey; thats husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, partners whose other half is serving or ex-serving and has been on deployment in the past 5 years, currently on deployment, or due for deployment in the next 12 months. You don't have to complete it in one go, just use the original link to return to it whenever you like.

If you complete the survey, you can enter a prize draw to win one of four £25 Amazon vouchers too!

I would be ever so grateful if you could do this for me and the research and to also share the blurb and link with others!

By clicking the link below you will be redirected to a page where you can find out more information and take part. It takes approximately 30 minutes, however, you can return to it as many times as you like to complete it.

If you could share this post and the link that would also be great!

Thank you!!!!

The impact of deployment on the mental health of military partners
The study doesn't apply to me, but wanted to say good luck with the course. I know many people who have gone on to do the D.Clin so I have a vague idea of how much work it is. And good luck with the research! :)