Immigrant 'Abuse' Of Human Rights Law To End

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Apr 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. www.news.sky.com/home/politics/article/16204721

Home Secretary Theresa May plans to crack down on the "abuse" of human rights laws that prevent foreign criminals being thrown out of Britain.

Vowing to stop all but the most "exceptional cases" succeeding on appeal, Mrs May has said tougher immigration rules will be in place by the summer.

She has become convinced that tighter controls are needed to prevent criminals turning to Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights - "the right to a family life" - in order to remain in the country.

The plans involve directing judges rather than bringing in new legislation.

Mrs May told The Sunday Telegraph: "It's been causing a lot of concern, not just to the Government but also to an awful lot of members of the public.

"By the summer, we will have in place new immigration rules which I believe will end that abuse.

"If it doesn't - if it's tested in the courts and we find there's a problem - we'll obviously look at other measures, but I'm confident in what we're proposing to do."

2. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah, riiiiiiiight!,

4. She could start with that git that ruined the boat race.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Good if it's true but I shan't be holding my breath

6. I expect she'll be as successful with this as Cristina Fernandez has been in getting back the Falkland Islands.

7. Until the Human Rights Act, which says ALL British legislation and practice MUST comply with the ECHR, is repealed, none of them can do diddly squat. Britain signed up to the convention ( in fact was instumental in setting it up after WW2) and always strove to comply with it, but why Bliar had to introduce the HRA will always mystify me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. If they're foreign, they obviously cannot be "criminals", they are the unfortunate victims of the legacy of Colonial abuses, systemic prejudice, racism, and enforced poverty. Theeir culture of violence, murder, rapine and theft is all that is left them since the evil White Devil stole the beautiful, refined, technologically advanced, and oh-so-moral cultures of the nations they came from.
    Didn't you get the memo?

• Like Like x 7
  9. Long overdue. Might even work, which would be nice.

10. The Judges will never allow it,,believe me....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Doubt it. Judges tend not to be massively enamoured of political direction as a rule and will likely interpret the law as it stands at the moment.

12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

This will only come into being and be successful if lawyers see money in it for them. If the person is deported then their cash gravy-train stops. If the person stays in UK then the lawyers have this 'poor unfortunate' to look after in perpetuity - on Legal Aid of course!

This will therefore be unsuccessful.

• Like Like x 3

13. Not so sure, public opinion is quite strong on this one.
    There seems to have been a lot of rumbling behind the scenes at the EU on the subject too, I suspect a lot of european governments will quietly support a clamp down.
    In the end Judges must follow the law, if Teresa May gets it right (yeh I know, I'm a hopeless optomist) it might just work.

14. I wish you could email that directly to her!

Everytime politicians go off on one about Judges, I do wonder who passed the law, or if it just dropped from the sky. Bit like an baby being delivered by a stork.

15. Sorry to disagree mate,Public Opinion is also strong on being allowed to call a Spade a Spade and not a Shovel but they will never get over the PC barrier....