Immediate pension, how do people react?

I claim a part of my Mrs tax allowance as her pension doesn't use it all,
Duly noted. Whether I'll still remember in a few years time is another matter :wink:

begbie

Old-Salt
Transferred my Army pension into my police one, 15 yrs gave me 10.5 yrs towards my police one.
I retire in 17 days aged 51, with a pretty decent lump sum and monthly pension, not a huge amount but enough to be comfortable and not have to work if I choose not to.

I had a teacher recently asking me how old I was and getting quite perplexed that I was in my middish 40s and picking up four figures a month. He asked and didn't seem to want to let it go.
Generally speaking, since leaving 11 years ago, teachers are the most stuck-up overrated cunts I've come across, and that includes all the other cunts that sponge a wage from the education system. I deliver to schools on a regular basis and they all look down their fat noses at you as if you're some sort of underclass that obviously failed at school, and life in general. Cunts.

Generally speaking, since leaving 11 years ago, teachers are the most stuck-up overrated cnuts I've come across, and that includes all the other cnuts that sponge a wage from the education system. I deliver to schools on a regular basis and they all look down their fat noses at you as if you're some sort of underclass that obviously failed at school, and life in general. cnuts.
Perhaps it's not too difficult to be superior to you with that generalist outlook.
Perhaps you unwittingly go through your day failing what my SWMBO (ex teacher of 42 years) calls..." The Attitude Test" and get treated as you treat others.
I say..."perhaps".
Now run along, be good, and remember to treat others as you would like them to treat you.
1579636746336.png

There's a good boy, and don't be late for schools now.;)

I joined in 1975 so it wasn’t for the money, or the pension. I joined on a 3 year contract and enjoyed it. Committed for 9 years and got a pay rise. The Maggie came in and threw more money at us.
I did the recruiters course at wollwich and pensions and other TOS were drummed into us.
Thinking back, I suspect few of us even considered it on enlistment.

Lost a good mate on redundancy in the 90s, and that set me thinking about my retirement. I was lucky because I enjoyed my job and the Army kept promoting me and giving me pay rises.
Most of my civvy contemporaries were in the mining industry, and having a hard time of it by the time I was pensioned.
Decent pension, increased when the full rate kicked in. I got my state pension in September last year. I’m saving 20% of it for HMRC when they renew my tax allowance in April.
Living abroad in a 3rd world country means life is affordable. Not sure I could hack it in UK.

offog

LE
It's none of their business, they should have done 22+ years in the army instead of a teaching degree if they wanted a pension at 40. On the other hand, they probably have functioning knees, good hearing and a healthy liver. There is a reason why soldiers have to retire early.
Funny I got none those. Even on a short walk today with a very short mild down slope I could feel my left knee going. I is quite alarming to get emails from the Regt Association telling me another retired member of the Bn has died who I knew and was around my age. I always thought we got the pension early because not many of us would make it to 65.

The way it is in the US most people tend to work until they drop, fact of life with having to pay for decent medical insurance, or keep working so that an employer pays it for you. They do not have the same pension plan type investments as are available in the UK. If they have served a full career in the US military then they are lucky in what you receive and it nicely adds to the US state pension when they finally receive that too.

We have totted up our UK pensions as they are all starting to slowly become visible on the horizon and it is quite impressive and should not see me starve in old age. I quite enjoy telling people I receive a pension here and you can see it blow their minds when they look at me and my age. Last year when I was buying my new motorcycle the bloke was busily trying to sell me a credit agreement and I happily told him that I don't need to borrow money and that this particular toy was from my pension lump sum payout. The monthly payout goes into my UK account and is paying off the NI stamp so that I qualify for a UK state pension too in due course.

2 weeks ago whilst opening a new account with another bank-------- "Why do you need another account"?

" Because if it goes tits up-- 2 accounts won't cover me"

M
Funny I got none those. Even on a short walk today with a very short mild down slope I could feel my left knee going. I is quite alarming to get emails from the Regt Association telling me another retired member of the Bn has died who I knew and was around my age. I always thought we got the pension early because not many of us would make it to 65.
My uncle on my mothers side died within months of completing his 22. My father, ex military, died at 67. My mother made it to 72.
I might make it to 66 in March. Genetics is not on my side. :)

M

My uncle on my mothers side died within months of completing his 22. My father, ex military, died at 67. My mother made it to 72.
I might make it to 66 in March. Genetics is not on my side. :)
George Burns the American comedian used to take bookings for gig's even when in his 90's. He used to say that if he stopped working he would die, so he carried on working and died at 100.

George Burns: Preferring cigars over most things in life, George Burns was also rarely seen on stage without a cigar. Starting his vaudeville career using cigars as props, Burns eventually became synonymous with cigars; the two were inseparable. Upon his death at 100, he was buried in a suit, with three [El Producto] cigars in his jacket pocket.

par avion

War Hero
Transferred my Army pension into my police one, 15 yrs gave me 10.5 yrs towards my police one.
I retire in 17 days aged 51, with a pretty decent lump sum and monthly pension, not a huge amount but enough to be comfortable and not have to work if I choose not to.
I did 12 years pensionable service with the army (actual 15 years but joined at 15 so three years didn't count). The Met gave me nine and a half years. Great I thought, I have only been in the job a few days and I already have almost have a decades's pensionable service, where all my collegues from civy street still had thirty years to go,

I could have retired at 52 with a full thirty years service. In the event in 2008 the big recession came and all the civy police staff jobs that plod usually move into, went.

So, better the devil you know I retired at 59. With morgage already paid off and even after taking full comutation, I was still left with a nice pension. No need to get up in the morning (so I don't).

Ever since I retired I have thought of getting a part time job. But when I think of potential hassles, I think f*ck it, turn over and go back to sleep.

A few ex plod collegues have got part time jobs as casuel staff with Border Force at Heathrow, just stamping passports in Imigration control. Pick the days and shifts you want to do. Don't have to do weekends if you don't want to. No problem getting time if you want to spend some of the pension on an exotic holiday. They all seem to enjoy the job.

Perhaps it's not too difficult to be superior to you with that generalist outlook.
Perhaps you unwittingly go through your day failing what my SWMBO (ex teacher of 42 years) calls..." The Attitude Test" and get treated as you treat others.
I say..."perhaps".
Now run along, be good, and remember to treat others as you would like them to treat you.
View attachment 445054
There's a good boy, and don't be late for schools now.;)
Can only guess that you're a teacher, which if so, kind of highlights my initial post,

Can only guess that you're a teacher, which if so, kind of highlights my initial post,
No. I'm not which highlights the high probability you are as thick as my Gran's mince as you clearly do not read absorb properly.
I've lived with one for 45 years however, and we are both delighted at the prospects of no more feral little cvnts bred by rancid, ignorant gopping clowns.
Not all by any stretch, but more than enough.

Last edited:

Latest Threads