IMINT - Is there any job satisfaction in it?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by peanut_head, Jan 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking of a career change.....

2. Language training?

3. There's plenty job satisfaction in not doing it :lol:

4. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than do more language training...

5. I wouldn't go sticking pins in your eyes if you fancy a career in IMINT. :wink:

6. I orginally did the IA cse because I was going to Brunei (one of the posts there is as a IA instructor, the posting by the way fell through...funny that). I found the cse (16 weeks) on of the most informative cses that I have done in the Corps.

I was subsequently posted to JARIC which I suppose looking back with rose tinted goggles was ok. 9-5 with some weekend work if needed, sports and social was also ok, and I got to top class deployments out of it.

There are jobs in Predator (Las Vegas), Pheonix and ASTOR so there are plenty of opportunities for postings and a steady career path. I no longer work as an IA (though potentially I could get posted into one of the orgs mentioned above), but my wider knowledge of ISTAR capability (IA) has been enhanced massively.

I would reccomend the cse and the employment to anyone. You are definitely not labelled as an IA or tied to IA trade unless you want to be...

7. Did the Corps agree to a 3-Year Return of Service deal for the IA course? I have a vague recollection of being briefed by MCM Div that IA's were committed to a 3-Year Return of Service on completion of training.

8. I did mine in 2002. There was no mention of return of service then. However, that may have changed since the uplift of IA's for 5 Sqn. NTTT are you in this morning?

9. Howayman, ta for your serious reply! More info than I expected, job's a good 'un.

10. p_h,

I have a question - what has prompted you to think of a career change?

11. No single reason, more an accumulation of disillusionment over the years and the sinking realisation that I don't actually have a job when push comes to shove! That said, I'm not on here to share any whinges or go into specifics, merely to pose the question at the start of this thread and seek some opinions.

12. Job satisfaction? Well bent over that desk all day means you can bang several loads of man-fat out during your shift. I should ask you not to look under the desks at Digby... :pukel:

13. No worries Loony, I have myself contributed to all sorts of sub-desk matter at Digby over the years....

14. Well, one advantage was that you could spend the morning after a heavy night on the pop with your head bent over the optics and catch up on some sleep - just remembering to wind the film on every half hour or so.

I did it for 3 years at Jaric and that was enough for me - decided that I wanted to see a bit more daylight and less of:

a. the inside of an office
    b. bloody shiney ar*ed crabs

...other than that it was OK.

:)

Rodney2q

15. ...but light tables are now a thing of the past... for most!