IMF backs austerity plan, UK on the mend -

Calling whet, paperpuke, ashie!

"…In an unambiguously supportive statement, the world’s economic regulator said the Treasury’s aggressive programme of cuts would not halt economic growth, calling it “appropriately ambitious”.…"

IMF backs austerity plan, UK on the mend - Telegraph

Still no whet, paperpuke, ashie?

Hmmmmm… I'm worried about the 3 wise spin monkeys now, maybe their heads have exploded at this news that the coalition is actually fixing the shot sandwich their masters left us?

I imagine that the confidence of the City has come back now that the grown-ups are in charge of the train set.

I did hear one analysis that the reason why we didn't have total collapse during the Brown years was the City knowing that the Natural Party of Government and their subsidiary the Commission for the Fixing of Train Sets Broken by Labour were going to be back in power soon enough to sort the mess out, so all they had to do was hang tough.

United Kingdom - 2008 Article IV Consultation
Concluding Statement of the Mission
May 23, 2008
1. For over a decade, the United Kingdom has sustained low inflation and rapid economic growth-an exceptional achievement. More recently, the economy grew by 3 percent in 2007, and inflation returned to target after a temporary elevation. All this is the fruit of strong policies and policy frameworks, which provide a strong foundation to weather global shocks.

Another one of those IMF "unambiguous" statements.

United Kingdom - 2008 Article IV Consultation
Concluding Statement of the Mission
May 23, 2008
1. For over a decade, the United Kingdom has sustained low inflation and rapid economic growth-an exceptional achievement. More recently, the economy grew by 3 percent in 2007, and inflation returned to target after a temporary elevation. All this is the fruit of strong policies and policy frameworks, which provide a strong foundation to weather global shocks.

Another one of those IMF "unambiguous" statements.
Unambiguous and wrong, which I think proves Sticky's point........

Anyone who reads their statement as unambiguous support is desperate to be one-sided, or hasn't read the full statement / report and papers.

The report actually says that growth has returned (and if you think that has happened since the new goverment came in you really don't understand when the grown ups are talking), that the cuts are necessary, inflation is still being maintained artificially high by the coalition government (i.e. shafting you and me) and there are huge risks in the future about a double dip BUT they think we might just get away with it, as long as we fix our financial services sector (which wont happen under the tories).