Imber Village - Pre 1980s

I remember being told to take our troop CV behind a building and 'cam up'.

Rather than put up a - rather obvious- cam net, the driver and I worked out we could actually drive into the front room of a house with a collapsed wall. We then leant up a few random timber beams and sheets of wriggly tin to cover the hole. Job jobbed.

About an hour later we heard someone flailing around outside, at which point the voice of the Chief Instructor of the RSME shouted out "where is the CV?"

When I moved one of the CGI sheets to let him in, he promptly bøllocked me for not camming up the CV properly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could we turn Luton into a tank training area? It seems to be the current hot-bed of cousin shagging and consequential tragic, foreseeable and avoidable genetic deformities.
Only if the incumbents are "neutralised" in the process.
Otherwise, the problem is merely being moved elsewhere.

For a village of its size, the sewers are ridiculously big. If we'd ever gone to war, we'd have been very disappointed with the inability to crawl through the sewers in a German village of similar size.

Or perhaps relieved.

It was milliseconds after losing my grip while shinning down a drainpipe that I discovered the human body's natural inclination to roll forwards...

...head-first into the wall.

The producer might like to watch Portaloo’s Abandoned Britain. The first episode focused on Imber. Might save him the trouble of making a film; it’s already been done...

I'm researching a story on Imber Village at the moment as it happens. I conclude from the above responses that the place is a wreck and if it hadn't been commandeered by the War Department the village would have spawned a generation of inbred cattle worriers.

Anyone got anything else to add?
I have a book somewhere called ‘Little Imber on the Down’ (IIRC) that paints a far rosier picture of the sustainability of Imber. It was bucolic but not particularly isolated; buses from Warminster, trips to Salisbury, etc.

In those days the Plain was more populated - I have an 1817 map of the whole Plain on my wall and there’s evidence of significant occupation of the Plain - it’s bisected by roads and tracks and there are small villages like Imber (at the time bigger than Tilshead) and lots of farmsteads.

Three or so years ago we looked at a house at Gore Cross, which is on the Plain above Lavington. An old house, needing quite a lot spent on it, and very isolated. Full of ghosts, it was a convalescent home for soldiers during the war and in the attics you could still make out bedspaces and find old tobacco tins. It’s also in the Imber book.

I’m left with the impression that Imber and the surrounds were a going concern and that the natives were treated rather shoddily by the War Office.

Last edited:
Having just done Wessex Storm I got to see Imber a few times through the exercise, we recce'd it a couple of times as it was held by OPFOR, then we went into it after the infantry took it (a TES contact lasting most of the night that we watched from our OP). It was interesting to see it up close with the original buildings and signs, although it looks like the MOD have added a lot more to it with OBUA buildings similar to those at Copehill Down.

RE-DSO

Old-Salt
I was a DSO based in the LWC from 07-11. Worked in Imber many times. We operated the LASS there. Very impressive to smoke out the village in a couple of minutes.

Could we turn Luton into a tank training area? It seems to be the current hot-bed of cousin shagging and consequential tragic, foreseeable and avoidable genetic deformities.
If we're doing requests, Can we have wearyside turned into an MLRS impact area?

Went through Imber twice as a rifleman, once sitting watching the rifle coys going through as a member of HQ coy, far and away the best of the 3

Old-Salt
The Ch5 programme thread had a link to this thread.

I was in Imber in mid-70's and a few times afterwards.

In the mid-70's I can remember seeing a very old FIBUA film [battledress/No4 rifles/brens/APC's that were Humber 1 ton etc] showing how it was done by WW2 skilled people in a post-war setting. It had a village being used as the "props". All the usual fighting tactics shown - including tanks passing though buildings and vehicles parking in somebody's front room. Big bangs taking out strongpoints in houses too. Mouse- holing on a grand scale.

Not much scope for a luvvie to say "Cut - take two", as the houses were dust and rubble after Take 1.

It looked like Imber church in the film. I recall being told not to discuss with the locals what we had seen as it was probably a family home. Would account for why all the original village had gone by then.

At or around ( Google Maps )I took a careful and deeply satisfying dump at or around March 1975. I say this in the spirit of disclosure and apology for polluting the Earth; something which has never previously happened there or anywhere else in the vicinity. I used a big knife (another apology) to defile and scar the earth, and failed to adequately stitch the turf together afterwards. I pee'd on a tree too, but prayed to its God for absolution.

At or around ( Google Maps )I took a careful and deeply satisfying dump at or around March 1975. I say this in the spirit of disclosure and apology for polluting the Earth; something which has never previously happened there or anywhere else in the vicinity. I used a big knife (another apology) to defile and scar the earth, and failed to adequately stitch the turf together afterwards. I pee'd on a tree too, but prayed to its God for absolution.
I don’t think you need apologise to Earth, he’s from India so he’ll be quite familiar with shïtting outside...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dragstrip The Intelligence Cell 10
scorched_earth Infantry 10
5.56mm The Training Wing 34

Latest Threads