Imber Village - Pre 1980s

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Bad CO, Mar 28, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Just in by email is a request for anyone who remembers Imber Village back in the day....

2. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Was there as a cadet in 84 or so - for the first time..

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I trained there 1967. Remember very little of it except no nurses arrived.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I trained around Imber in 76-7. Recce troops in Scorpions weren't allowed to get too close. I have only a couple of vague images in my head.

Unfortunately in 77 they reopened the range around the old village subsumed by Lulworth Ranges, whose name escapes me. Wait while Google is my friend. Tyneham. Google is my friend. We were also the first squadron to use Tyneham Range for a long time. Its possible these images in my head conflate Imber and Tyneham.

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Spent four years in Tidworth in the early 1970s and never did any training on Salisbury Plain. The Bn preferred to go to Stanford, Sennybridge rather than use the trg area on their back yard.

6. same here- with the OTC

7. I remember talking to locals about Imber in the 70s.. the place was evacuated at the beginning of the war, and had a certain reputation for being very cut off and hence suffering somewhat from the effects of consanguinity! It was mooted that this was the real reason for not re-establishing the village..!

They said you could spot Imber folk in the local population even in the 70s..!

It would seem that this was the real reason for several isolated communities being broken up between the wars such as St Kilda and a few other island communities..

...although Barrow seems to have missed the cull!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. It had a para drop zone in the vicinity of the village ( Imber DZ) used mostly by 16 Para Bde. Heavy Drop Coy as I recall. HALO trials team used it in the very early '70's if Everleigh wasn't available. @Gungythree

9. We did stand off trials onto Imber.

10. We used it a few times in the late '70s but it was just a handful of buildings used for approach and house-to-house training. Nothing special.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I wonder if episode 2 I think, series 1 of Spearhead was filmed in Imber? That footage is out there. Watched it last year on a minor channel.

12. Advice to producers: don't dig any holes in the vicinity of the village. Compo was always intended to be stable, and its final decay product has a lengthy half-life.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Very late 60's, early 70's there were very few buildings and these I would guess were left over from when the place was taken over by the military during WW2. Mid 70's(IIRC)work had started on building the breeze block shell structures for "Northern Ireland" training. Personal bad experience was when leaving Imber in the early hours of the morning after a tactical replen my "relief" driver hit a half pallet of breeze blocks at the side of the road and flipped the Ferret onto it's side.
    @HE117 mentioned it, I had a converstaion with 2 older locals in Tilshead(The Rose & Crown) and they said similar things about "consanguineous mating" within the confines of Imber.

• Like Like x 1