Imagine how bitter sweet it would be to get 5, rather than 6, numbers come up in the lottery

Wouldn't it be funny if that winner was about to jump on a dinghy to Dover?

“Hold the dinghy. I just gotta nip in here to do me lottery” seems quite unlikely to me……..

But it is whatever it is!

I used to work with a guy, Him and his wife got five numbers on the fist ever lotto draw.
I think they won about four grand.
They looked at eachother and said "Its good this lottery innit".
Never won anyrhing since.

Cavuman

Clanker
Some years ago, the PowerBall lottery's jackpot here in the U.S. had climbed to over $500,000,000. Idiot that I am, I purchased 100 autolotto tickets (the computer in the sky picks numbers for the gullible players.) I figured I should at least break even on my $100 investment. Right?

WRONG! Out of 100 tickets, I did not get one single number! WTF? The odds must be a million to one against!

I have never played the lottery again, nor shall I ever. I also avoid black cats, ladders, and broken mirrors.

- Ed

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
If you put the stake you'd usually pay each week away in a bank account you'd probably have more money in the account than you'd have won on the tickets.

Sure, but you couldn't surf luxury yacht and multi-million property websites with anything like the same conviction.

Some years ago, the PowerBall lottery's jackpot here in the U.S. had climbed to over $500,000,000. Idiot that I am, I purchased 100 autolotto tickets (the computer in the sky picks numbers for the gullible players.) I figured I should at least break even on my $100 investment. Right?

WRONG! Out of 100 tickets, I did not get one single number! WTF? The odds must be a million to one against!

I have never played the lottery again, nor shall I ever. I also avoid black cats, ladders, and broken mirrors.

- Ed
How many balls in the draw and how many numbers on a ticket?

Cavuman

Clanker
CutLunchCommando: there are 69 white balls, numbered 1 through 69 and 26 red Powerballs numbered 1 through 26. Each ticket can contain from 1 to 5 strings of 6 numbers. The Powerball website claims that any player has a 1 in 24.9 chance of winning some prize and a 1 in 292,201,338 chance of hitting the jackpot. My Hewlett-Packard HP12C does permutations to the ninth power and it can't figure those odds! Suffice to say they are very, very loooong to miss all numbers!

- Ed

I have yet to buy a lottery ticket (there was a Met Police lottery that nobody expected to win and few were disappointed).

I look on my failure to participate as money saved. I have also substantially reduced my chances of becoming an unbearable chav, the victim of an acrimonious and ruinous divorce, a hopeless drug addict and/or an alcoholic, acquiring a criminal record or the everlasting hatred of my neighbours, losing friends while acquiring a multitude of liggers and hangers-on and eventually becoming a bankrupt.

Not bad, really.