Image Copyright

Chaps,

What is the recommended approach when posting images?

Are all images with 'copyright xxxx' verboten or can you post them as long as you leave that statement in to acknowledge the origin? I used Airliners.net regularly for images here but have read that they've got arsey (see what I did there?!) with the website in the past.

Just trying trying to avoid grief for you and me.

Regards,
MM

I'd use the full URL to link and give credit to source if bothered. You do know that your avatar picture is copyrighted?

I'd use the full URL to link and give credit to source if bothered. You do know that your avatar picture is copyrighted?
Oops...no!

Regards,
MM

So where does that leave all those ex RAF aircraft still with all the relevant markings that are now on the civilian register? eg a certain Vulcan.
They may have applied and been given a dispensation, the MoD doesn't chase stuff and doesn't always win. Common sense would say the Vulcan and other aircraft in RAF colours are historically accurate and good for recruitment.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
There is a small but overly officious dept in the civil service that chases MOD copyright stuff. They make train spotters look normal.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Exceptions to copyright - Detailed guidance - GOV.UK

As for MOD images they are very good at chasing down copyright infringements, especially were use is counter the values etc. Britain First (or what ever FB thing it was) is a classic example of suddenly getting very official looking letters from expensive lawyers to stop using MOD images. I understand they tried to bluff their way out of it but eventually the seriousness was explained to them using simple words and crayons.

It is very easy to get approval to use MOD copyrighted images if you ask nicely and explain what you wish to do.

Ministry of Defence copyright licensing information - Publications - GOV.UK

You should assume that all images are copyright unless they specify otherwise. Wikimedia commons have a lot of copyright free material but they are the exception to the rule. There are probably some others but that's the only one I know.

I usually link to an image or an article if I'm concerned that I may be risking someone getting upset about their copyright. On the other hand, there are instances where I have just posted an image on the basis that it's most likely not going to be an issue although there may be a remote possibility that it could come back to bite you on the arrse. It hasn't happened yet.

Don't forget there are rules around copyright. One of which is that it doesn't last forever. It's worth having a read up on what they are.

This site doesn't really post that many images that it get's any unwelcome attention from people who may be upset about their copyright so I think it's a relatively fire free zone although GCO and BCO may have a different view about that.

I used to visit a site called MilitaryPhotos.Net where as the name implies, there were loads of pictures posted as well as a vibrant international forum community discussing various matters.

The site eventually went under, partly it seems because the site owner got fed up with fencing with various agencies about claims for copyright for images posted on his site.

Be careful and don't tear the arrse out of it is probably a sensible approach. Again, the site owners may have a more definitive view on that.

GCO's mum is the site POC on legal affairs, but try not to ring when 'Strictly' is on.
I'll confess that 'Strictly' is one of my own little secrets...I'm still getting over the sight of Katie Derham in her split to the crotch rumba dress a few weeks back!!!!!! :drool:

Regards,
MM

I
Chaps,

What is the recommended approach when posting images?

Are all images with 'copyright xxxx' verboten or can you post them as long as you leave that statement in to acknowledge the origin? I used Airliners.net regularly for images here but have read that they've got arsey (see what I did there?!) with the website in the past.

Just trying trying to avoid grief for you and me.

Regards,
MM
Proper answer. No, crediting the copyright holder absolves you of fcuk all.

Real answer - the worst anyone can realistically do is ask for it to be taken down.

That's very interesting as DDC brief that we lost that court case and have no copyright on the roundel. Might have a word, either the brief is wrong or that document is.

I

Proper answer. No, crediting the copyright holder absolves you of fcuk all.

Real answer - the worst anyone can realistically do is ask for it to be taken down.
Your "real answer" is incorrect. Depending on the image you may get a bill for using it. Getty used to be hot on this. Other togs have taken people to court and won damages for use of their images.

Latest Threads