• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

iMac Desktop computer and anti-virus software

Hello ARRSER Geeks,

Another question for you all to ponder...

I have just gone to the dark side and bought an iMac desktop. The question is what anti-virus can I load on to it before accessing the internet? Free would be ideal.

Any other useful software or websites would be much appreciated.

Cheers Guys/Gals

I have been using mac's for over 15 years without encountering a single problem.
I now run my business using two Imac's ( One G4, one a dual Processor G5) and A G4 Powerbook.

I agree with MSR despite not ever having a problem It's wise to take sensible precautions ( follow MSR"s Link) as it's not impossible to get a virus, or malware etc after all it only takes one muppet somewhere to spoil it.

PoGs
www.pocketcomms.co.uk

I have been using mac's for over 15 years without encountering a single problem.
I now run my business using two Imac's ( One G4, one a dual Processor G5) and A G4 Powerbook.

I agree with MSR despite not ever having a problem It's wise to take sensible precautions ( follow MSR"s Link) as it's not impossible to get a virus, or malware etc after all it only takes one muppet somewhere to spoil it.

PoGs
www.pocketcomms.co.uk

I wish to load Windows onto my new iMac (latest spec), using the Boot Camp thingy.

Can anyone tell me if I need to install antivirus/spyware programs on the Windows partition, or is Windows effectively protected by the Mac OS?

Grateful for learned advice!

Cheers.

Gracchus said:
I wish to load Windows onto my new iMac (latest spec), using the Boot Camp thingy.

Can anyone tell me if I need to install antivirus/spyware programs on the Windows partition, or is Windows effectively protected by the Mac OS?

Grateful for learned advice!

Cheers.
Symantec has produced an anti-virus and spyware package for Mac users who will be running Boot Camp:

Norton Anti-Virus for Mac

They'll accept British cards and it's a download.

I grew up Mac, and the thought on infection goes something like: "Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't." And as the guy from macworld.com said:

While many debate the efficacy of anti-virus software for Mac, given the dearth of viruses and malware for the platform, Macs running Windows using Apple Boot Camp software or virtualization software like VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop are indeed vulnerable to Windows-based viruses, malware and other threats.
So for £35, what do you have to lose?

Latest Threads