iMac Desktop computer and anti-virus software

#1
Hello ARRSER Geeks,

Another question for you all to ponder...

I have just gone to the dark side and bought an iMac desktop. The question is what anti-virus can I load on to it before accessing the internet? Free would be ideal.

Any other useful software or websites would be much appreciated.

Cheers Guys/Gals
 
#2
hi there i have the imac

you dont need any
anti-virus stuff as is all built into the system.
 
#3
WRAPJOBAGAIN said:
hi there i have the imac

you dont need any
anti-virus stuff as is all built into the system.
Not strictly true.

msr
 
#7
thank you all...

Can I use torrents with my mac? I know you can't get free software but for trial music and movies?
 
#8
I have been using mac's for over 15 years without encountering a single problem.
I now run my business using two Imac's ( One G4, one a dual Processor G5) and A G4 Powerbook.

I agree with MSR despite not ever having a problem It's wise to take sensible precautions ( follow MSR"s Link) as it's not impossible to get a virus, or malware etc after all it only takes one muppet somewhere to spoil it.


PoGs
www.pocketcomms.co.uk
 
#9
I have been using mac's for over 15 years without encountering a single problem.
I now run my business using two Imac's ( One G4, one a dual Processor G5) and A G4 Powerbook.

I agree with MSR despite not ever having a problem It's wise to take sensible precautions ( follow MSR"s Link) as it's not impossible to get a virus, or malware etc after all it only takes one muppet somewhere to spoil it.


PoGs
www.pocketcomms.co.uk
 
#10
The_ODP said:
thank you all...

Can I use torrents with my mac? I know you can't get free software but for trial music and movies?
Try this: http://www.google.co.uk

Just type 'Mac torrent' into the box ;)

msr
 
#13
Cheers msr and yes I think I need to give a small donation as the arrser geeks are second to none.

The_ODP
 
#15
I wish to load Windows onto my new iMac (latest spec), using the Boot Camp thingy.

Can anyone tell me if I need to install antivirus/spyware programs on the Windows partition, or is Windows effectively protected by the Mac OS?

Grateful for learned advice!

Cheers.
 
#16
Gracchus said:
I wish to load Windows onto my new iMac (latest spec), using the Boot Camp thingy.

Can anyone tell me if I need to install antivirus/spyware programs on the Windows partition, or is Windows effectively protected by the Mac OS?

Grateful for learned advice!

Cheers.
Symantec has produced an anti-virus and spyware package for Mac users who will be running Boot Camp:

Norton Anti-Virus for Mac

They'll accept British cards and it's a download.

I grew up Mac, and the thought on infection goes something like: "Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't." And as the guy from macworld.com said:

While many debate the efficacy of anti-virus software for Mac, given the dearth of viruses and malware for the platform, Macs running Windows using Apple Boot Camp software or virtualization software like VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop are indeed vulnerable to Windows-based viruses, malware and other threats.
So for £35, what do you have to lose?
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads