iMac Desktop computer and anti-virus software

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by The_ODP, Apr 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello ARRSER Geeks,

Another question for you all to ponder...

I have just gone to the dark side and bought an iMac desktop. The question is what anti-virus can I load on to it before accessing the internet? Free would be ideal.

Any other useful software or websites would be much appreciated.

Cheers Guys/Gals

2. hi there i have the imac

you dont need any
    anti-virus stuff as is all built into the system.

3. msr

msr LE

Not strictly true.

msr

4. what can I use msr?

Cheers

5. msr

msr LE

6. thank you all...

7. thank you all...

Can I use torrents with my mac? I know you can't get free software but for trial music and movies?

8. I have been using mac's for over 15 years without encountering a single problem.
    I now run my business using two Imac's ( One G4, one a dual Processor G5) and A G4 Powerbook.

I agree with MSR despite not ever having a problem It's wise to take sensible precautions ( follow MSR"s Link) as it's not impossible to get a virus, or malware etc after all it only takes one muppet somewhere to spoil it.

PoGs
    www.pocketcomms.co.uk

9. I have been using mac's for over 15 years without encountering a single problem.
    I now run my business using two Imac's ( One G4, one a dual Processor G5) and A G4 Powerbook.

I agree with MSR despite not ever having a problem It's wise to take sensible precautions ( follow MSR"s Link) as it's not impossible to get a virus, or malware etc after all it only takes one muppet somewhere to spoil it.

PoGs
    www.pocketcomms.co.uk

10. msr

msr LE

Try this: http://www.google.co.uk

Just type 'Mac torrent' into the box ;)

msr

11. Can you get microsoft office free on the mac?

12. msr

msr LE

13. Cheers msr and yes I think I need to give a small donation as the arrser geeks are second to none.

The_ODP

14. Donation made msr...

15. I wish to load Windows onto my new iMac (latest spec), using the Boot Camp thingy.

Can anyone tell me if I need to install antivirus/spyware programs on the Windows partition, or is Windows effectively protected by the Mac OS?

Grateful for learned advice!

Cheers.