Im thinking of joining as an RLC Driver.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by jamesH1990, Feb 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi ive been thinking for quite some time of joining as an RLC Driver and i no quite a bit about it but i would like to talk to some people who could shed a bit more light on my career choice? If any 1 else is thinking of also joining as an rlc driver pm me pls cheers :D
  2. Im just waiting for my medicals to come back atm. Was going to apply for RLC Driver but was advised to go for R.E Driver instead. You get your licences still but you also get engineering qualifacations, plus I think the pay might be slightly better.
  3. Hi jamesh1990

what would you like to know pal im an R.L.C. driver
  4. Dont go RLC driver mate you will get bored, i got all my licenses n that out of doing that job but now im rejoining as infantry.. Join the artillery or something like that all you will do as an rlc driver is drive a truck through afghan delivering stuff from sht role to ammo for peeps on the front line...
  5. Hiya James, same here mate, I posted my application with first choice being RLC Driver just yesterday, so will probably wait a while till I here back.

Williams is that right then, anything else task wise in regards to the role? I did read it was common for overseas postings

I too am looking for info though, is it true the max run time for the RLC is 14 minutes at ADSC..? just seems quite high, but im not complaining :D

Also is Afghanistan the main overseas posting for RLC Drivers? and lastly.. it reads something along the lines of 11 weeks at Leconfield is -self pacing- can anyone shed any light on what that actually means? I assumed it meant, if you've completed everything you've needed to do before 11 weeks, you can be assigned to a unit sooner? just an assumption.

Tah Much :)

6. Not serious about an Army career then?
  7. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Its a standard fitness test thoughout the British Army regardless of who you are :D :D :D :D :D

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O that would be Germany, last everyone else knew that Afghanistan is an Operational Tour ie. 6 months :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If your a better driver you move up the course faster, if your shite then your a natural RLC driver

If your after driving qualifications, then every other job in the Army does them too, if you just want to drive and fight down town, then go for the RLC
  8. Cheers Desktop, by the way standard fitness as in everyone has a max time of 14 mins for the 1.5m run at ADSC? I just remember reading something like 12.45 for other regiments/corps that's all.

Are you an RLC Driver too I assume? if so where have you been posted so far?

aHaHa, bad rep I take it!?

9. 11 weeks at leconfield as a phase 2 soldier is very ambitious, try 5 months at the moment, there is biiiiiig backlogs
  10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Try RE

11. 5 months!! a backlog indeed then, cheers Matt. It was The Army website that quoted the 11 weeks :roll:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. During all that you forgot to get your basic skills in English, didn't you?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Wish you'd stop resurrecting years old threads!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I feel like putting all your missing punctuation into a sock and beating you to death with it.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. That would hurt