Im thinking of drilling some holes

Discussion in 'DIY' started by RiflemanTom, Jan 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I'm thinking of drilling some holes in a wall. Any ideas what type of hole would be best, diameter, depth etc, of said holes?
  2. Make sure you use one of those gadgets that spot pipes and wires behind walls. Run it over the wall and when it beeps, drill there.
  3. Im not a fan of drilling, with some explosives and a bit of intelligent thinking you could create a bigger hole in half the time
  4. RiflemanTom

I like your thinking, but I only have a small wall. I suppose I could always use the tall wall though.
  5. Use your neighbours wall they wont mind, everyone likes a hole
  6. There was an episode of Father-ted with a mad priest drilling holes with a BFO drill once...I would highly reccommend that you watch it,
    lovely holes they were.
  7. Buy an SDS drill and a 1.5 metre long 20mm drill bit.

Drill through your chimney breast in order to run the cables for your flat screen TV.

When you feel the first course of brick give way, carry on. Do the same for the second course, then the third and then the fourth.

Then stop and wonder why your chimney is 4.5 feet deep and has four courses of brick.

Stop wondering when the next door neighbour knocks the door and asks why a huge chunk of plaster has just been blown out of their living room wall and a red hot drill bit is know glowing over their mantelpiece.

Not me. My drill, my drill bit. Dad's house, Dad in control of both.
  8. Look. I know this is the DIY forum but for god's sake, if you don't know what you are doing I suggest that you buy some ready made holes. I have some left over from a project that I can let you have at half price.

They are top quality "professional" holes that conform to the latest standards. This will also give you the chance to study them carefully and see how they are made. Then when, and only when, you are properly ready, you can make your own.

If you want to buy them elsewhere, I would warn you that there are some dodgy counterfeit holes on the market just now. These may look the part but are quite shoddily built and tend to fall apart all to easily leaving you with nothing.
  9. Why? Have we run out of soldiers?

By the left.....
  10. Take no notice, he's trying to rip you off. You can get them direct from the supplier:
  11. RiflemanTom

This is a DIY thread.

The hole point was that I fancy making my own holes. It's not DIY if I buy the holes is it. What's the fun in buying holes?
  12. I get mine from the wholesalers :)
  13. I have an old copy of Holes for Dummies if you want it, Covers the basics of choosing the correct drill and bit up to some more proffesional hole designs including and not limited to Tapered Holes, Square Holes and Threaded Holes. The book has an RRP of £15 but as its second hand and I have actually drilled one or two holes into the book itself during my practice phase ill be happy to send it on for P&P Costs PM for more details

Im afraid I must also mention that this book is old (1999) and doesnt cover some of the more up to date laser cut holes which can be produced however it does have a section on curved holes and it even discusses whether these cease to become holes and turn into tunnells.
  14. Drilling a hole isn't very satisfying. Much better to drill a brick or a bit of wood.
  15. Black powder is a very satisfying way of enlarging holes after drilling.
    It does take a little paractice to become profficient and a good hoover is required to clean up the dust afterwards