I'm sure I can do it cheaper..

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I had to drill a 4 inch hole through a three foot thick external wall, for some cable ducting ( listed building so a right bugger, and a weekend job due to noise levels)
Cotswold stone be a doddle
Er no
hard as a hard thing, turns out one particular variety was used for the large structural sections

Put a 4 foot 12mm sds through first after a great deal of measuring and much guesswork
Mmm didn't quite go as planned

But on the upside the mess from the 117mm cutter would have been harder to disguise if I had gone through with that

A looong day for me
IMG_20211211_132446.jpg

I had to drill a 4 inch hole through a three foot thick external wall, for some cable ducting ( listed building so a right bugger, and a weekend job due to noise levels)
Er no
hard as a hard thing, turns out one particular variety was used for the large structural sections

Put a 4 foot 12mm sds through first after a great deal of measuring and much guesswork

But on the upside the mess from the 117mm cutter would have been harder to disguise if I had gone through with that

A looong day for me
View attachment 622706
Not wireless then;)

Er no

A looong day for me
View attachment 622706
The penny dropped for one of our clients. As a testing consultancy, we made our money from testing core samples - the hole was just a means to an end and we finished our day by filling the holes that we made. Long, often wide, always very precisely drilled.

So when he wanted a load of holes drilled for ducts, instead of calling in the diamond drillers who charged on the basis of barrel wear plus time taken (and were often imprecise due to haste), he called us in to conduct a sampling and testing exercise. The nice man said that we didn't need to fill the holes, he would arrange that so we could maximise the number of samples taken. Bonus! Filling vertical holes, especially from below, can be a right pain.

First thing the next morning, he phones to cancel all the tests - we can dispose of the samples, they're not needed.

So we deduct the cost of testing and the materials that would have been used to fill the holes and are left with a financial loss. He, on the other hand, is rather jubilant. He's got all his holes drilled exactly where he wants them at a fraction of the price that a diamond drilling company would have charged.

It's my only slightly asbestos laden basement. I feel like I can do so much with it, but nothing that will comply with building regs or criminal law.

Easy, peasy,........the neighbours will never know.

Or, as once seen in four storey house in Acton, several feet below the foundations

Don’t remember which ones, but many of those 3 and 4 storey Lahndun houses have scarey foundations. Brick on dirt at a depth of around 2 feet, the way they are constructed accidentally makes the whole terrace of houses an interdependent self supporting unit. Remove one and the rest will slowly start to sink, or lean.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Don’t remember which ones, but many of those 3 and 4 storey Lahndun houses have scarey foundations. Brick on dirt at a depth of around 2 feet, the way they are constructed accidentally makes the whole terrace of houses an interdependent self supporting unit. Remove one and the rest will slowly start to sink, or lean.
Or fall into the district line!!
Quite a few have collapsed like packs of cards when idiot yuppies get builders in to remove internal walls
I don't understand this strange attraction for making houses open plan
You waste more energy heating them
And they always settle and end up cracking

Blogg

LE

As discovered by someone I work with who bought a bijou residence in C'lahm.

Or Clapham to you.

Much spent on refurbishment and all well until one of the neighbours decided on some subterranean fun and games.

They were only in rented accommodation for 14 months.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

Or Clapham to you.

Much spent on refurbishment and all well until one of the neighbours decided on some subterranean fun and games.

My brother noticed that the chap opposite an Indian fella, had employed some Romanian labourers to remove the internal walls of his Edwardian villa
I think 5 house's were destroyed

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The penny dropped for one of our clients. As a testing consultancy, we made our money from testing core samples - the hole was just a means to an end and we finished our day by filling the holes that we made. Long, often wide, always very precisely drilled.

So when he wanted a load of holes drilled for ducts, instead of calling in the diamond drillers who charged on the basis of barrel wear plus time taken (and were often imprecise due to haste), he called us in to conduct a sampling and testing exercise. The nice man said that we didn't need to fill the holes, he would arrange that so we could maximise the number of samples taken. Bonus! Filling vertical holes, especially from below, can be a right pain.

First thing the next morning, he phones to cancel all the tests - we can dispose of the samples, they're not needed.

So we deduct the cost of testing and the materials that would have been used to fill the holes and are left with a financial loss. He, on the other hand, is rather jubilant. He's got all his holes drilled exactly where he wants them at a fraction of the price that a diamond drilling company would have charged.

I thought your team did a lovely job and I left a 5* review. What more do you want??

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Er no

A looong day for me
View attachment 622706
Remember to submit your coursework by the end of this week or I won't be able to sign you off for accreditation. Immediate feed back is that you've shown a keen and obviously natural talent for this trade and so farr, I'd be happy to have you on my team.

Keep up the good work!

Or Clapham to you.

IIRC Robbie Williams was intending to do some sort of subterranean work on his gaff until Jimmy Page threatened to sue him to kingdom come. It's alleged that Robbie Williams didn't know who Jimmy Page was.

Dunno what happened in the end, it seems to have gone quiet.

Latest Threads