I'm sure I can do it cheaper..

Closest I've got to that is the cleaner. She found my issue baseball cap and sent me a selfie with her norks more or less hanging out whilst wearing it!
Forward said photo just to check on Baseball cap

You're supplying everything, thats why there is no interest...
Live up to your username and DIY. XD
I was going to, that's why I bought the stuff, but it is armoured cable which is tough stuff and I don't have the tools for that, plus it is cold outside.

Junior hacksaw and gland kit. You'll be alright. ;)

Additionally, it was for outside lights and the junction box already in place was some fancy HD offshore type which looked somewhat complicated. As for electricians, apart from the fact that people are doing a lot more to improve their homes at the moment due to not going on holiday/spare COVID cash electricians up here are super busy at the moment implementing SctoGovs new fire alarm regs which have to be in place by Feb 2022.

TamH70

MIA
Additionally, it was for outside lights and the junction box already in place was some fancy HD offshore type which looked somewhat complicated. As for electricians, apart from the fact that people are doing a lot more to improve their homes at the moment due to not going on holiday/spare COVID cash electricians up here are super busy at the moment implementing SctoGovs new fire alarm regs which have to be in place by Feb 2022.

My building got all theirs fitted earlier on this year or late last year. Heat alarm in the kitchen, two new battery-powered smoke alarms in the hall as it's a long right-angled affair - to supplement the one mains-powered one that's been there for a while, and one smoke alarm in the living room. And they're not cheap shite - press to test one of them*, the whole lot go ding-ding. Six flats a landing, seventeen floors of habitable space.

*Which reminds me...

My building got all theirs fitted earlier on this year or late last year. Heat alarm in the kitchen, two new battery-powered smoke alarms in the hall as it's a long right-angled affair - to supplement the one mains-powered one that's been there for a while, and one smoke alarm in the living room. And they're not cheap shite - press to test one of them*, the whole lot go ding-ding. Six flats a landing, seventeen floors of habitable space.

*Which reminds me...

I read the regs before buying - the Minister concerned stated that it should cost no more than £220 per average household. Aye, right, cost about twice that for the kit alone, and if you are going to get them installed professionally a whole lot more on top of that. Plus where do you put ugly bits of plastic in a period property? Barstewards.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
I pay an Italian guy to service my Guzzi, I leave the parts to him and settle up the bill without argument or asking for a discount
because he is very good, and fits the right parts
Yup.
If its mechanical it goes to the garage. They buy the correct parts from the correct people.
Buy cheap, buy twice.
I let those people with the right knowledge do any spanner work. I have attempted to do it myself in the past, but this bald headed geezer in a purple shellsuit keeps turning up trying to give me advice.?

TamH70

MIA
I read the regs before buying - the Minister concerned stated that it should cost no more than £220 per average household. Aye, right, cost about twice that for the kit alone, and if you are going to get them installed professionally a whole lot more on top of that. Plus where do you put ugly bits of plastic in a period property? Barstewards.

The council paid for all of our alarm systems. Not out of beneficence to us, but looking to the future, as we've got a lot of older people in the building. Hence newer tenants move in when the older lot pass away.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In the latest update, due to the speed of works now progressing, it turns out the architect is a ******* moron.

To whit - the attic is going to be an office, then into a master then into an en-suite. On the drawings it all looked fine and the architect assured me it would be an amazing space.

My builder slings up the first partition and calls me to come have a look. The en-suite specced for the shower in the left coomb, which meant you'd be smashing your face off the ceiling. Never mind where you'd actually fit the ******* shower head.

We then realised the architect is 4'10 and this probably made sense to him.

It also turns out that when you get in bed, if you wake up in a hurry you're likely to knock yourself out on the coomb and good luck sitting up in bed. Mrs B and I are now seriously discussing two single beds to make the space work.

******* hell.

ETA: I've just realised 16 of you cnuts gave me a laughing emoji in response to:

You can all go **** yourselves with one of my home made wooden massage sticks.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

PFGEN

GCM
In the latest update, due to the speed of works now progressing, it turns out the architect is a ******* moron.

To whit - the attic is going to be an office, then into a master then into an en-suite. On the drawings it all looked fine and the architect assured me it would be an amazing space.

My builder slings up the first partition and calls me to come have a look. The en-suite specced for the shower in the left coomb, which meant you'd be smashing your face off the ceiling. Never mind where you'd actually fit the ******* shower head.

It also turns out that when you get in bed, if you wake up in a hurry you're likely to knock yourself out on the coomb and good luck sitting up in bed. Mrs B and I are now seriously discussing two single beds to make the space work.

******* hell.

ETA: I've just realised 16 of you cnuts gave me a laughing emoji in response to:

Have another one for this part of the tale. Its the way you tell them. I've just had a weekend of mishaps and this cheered me up that I'm not alone.

******* hell.

Burn the place down and start again...

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Here's some home snaps for your general amusement. I particularly like how I came up with the idea of keeping the steps up after all the support was removed. The builder actually commended me and said that's what he'd have done. Let physics take the strain!

IMG_20211205_203824.jpg

My favourite part is definitely the sudden realisation that I can look right into next doors bedroom. Pity they're 90 and a couple of cnuts.

IMG_20211205_203802.jpg

Here's the general layout and sizing issues....

IMG_20211205_203702.jpgIMG_20211205_203752.jpgIMG_20211205_203758.jpgIMG_20211205_203715.jpg

PFGEN

GCM
That's a piss pot that you'll be too far away from to actually piss into and you'll have to lean over backwards. The walk in shower is a bit of a misnomer. More like crawl in. Why do the pillocks design that crap? We have a lot of it over here where they call it farmhouse style. Its just another term for we were too effing cheap to put in a second floor. When looking for a house in the past we saw a few of these places as they sounded very nice. I'd see how small it was under the 1st floor roof and just shout next. Half the time I had to duck down to be able to walk around.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That's a piss pot that you'll be too far away from to actually piss into and you'll have to lean over backwards. The walk in shower is a bit of a misnomer. More like crawl in. Why do the pillocks design that crap? We have a lot of it over here where they call it farmhouse style. Its just another term for we were too effing cheap to put in a second floor. When looking for a house in the past we saw a few of these places as they sounded very nice. I'd see how small it was under the 1st floor roof and just shout next. Half the time I had to duck down to be able to walk around.
Normally you'd go the Dormer route but:

A: very expensive
B: planners here are stepping away from approving them for various reasons

The plan is to get a 700*700 shower unit bang in the middle of the wall, shitter and basin either side with a wee storage unit.
The only benefit to this house is it'll only be sold when we leave it in wooden boxes (could be next Tuesday at this rate) so we don't care how it looks, we long as it works.

Which currently, it ******* doesn't.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Here's some home snaps for your general amusement. I particularly like how I came up with the idea of keeping the steps up after all the support was removed. The builder actually commended me and said that's what he'd have done. Let physics take the strain!

View attachment 620436

My favourite part is definitely the sudden realisation that I can look right into next doors bedroom. Pity they're 90 and a couple of cnuts.

View attachment 620435

Here's the general layout and sizing issues....

View attachment 620431View attachment 620433View attachment 620434View attachment 620432

lift the roof up at one end, put some bricks under, same at the other end, then fill in the gap in the middle. you'll be fine.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
The plan is to get a 700*700 shower unit bang in the middle of the wall, shitter and basin either side with a wee storage unit.

that'll be called a commode I believe

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
lift the roof up at one end, put some bricks under, same at the other end, then fill in the gap in the middle. you'll be fine.

You know full well I've already considered that.

Bed solution is either two singles either side of the door (there will be another partition to split between bedroom and office) or some sort of scandie style low bed that you smash your ankles on.

The front left of the house sticks out further than the rest. The architect said we couldn't do anything with it in the attic, but I'm going to floor it and put in a hatch door so I can crawl in there and cry on a Saturday night.

Latest Threads