I'm sure I can do it cheaper..

Now where did I leave my wire-wrapping tools....

I hear it's making a comeback in the Maker world.

I thought it was a long-lost art until recently. Then I noticed it appearing in various places.

We'll be seeing ECC83s on proper breadboards next - to go wid de turntables for de youfs' an' ipsters' vinyl collections, innit.

I don't actually have a tin-foil hat, though the raw components are waiting in the kitchen. However, I do have tape over the cameras on my PCs, have my location on the phone turned off and hate the idea of Alexa and her mates being in the house.

Yes, yes - I KNOW 'they' already know all about me, but why should I make it easy for them? Go to the bank, or insurance and lots of other places... 'have you got our App? Then you can just...' I pull out an old phone - 'sorry, doesn't do Apps'. I hate Apps!

I have lights coming on and off like clockwork. In fact, it IS clockwork! Pack of 3 timers about a fiver and Roberto is your Tio. My blinds go up at daylight, down at dusk - magic box bought from local DIY shop.

If Mr Putin gets any naughtier, we may ALL wish we weren't using Apps of any flavour.

Or his gas.

I don't actually have a tin-foil hat,

I do. It's also motorized to pull it down over my whole head in case of emergencies. It's packed with sensors and the internally networked (*) control system is wifi-linked to my home threat-analysis system.

The really great thing is I can control it from both Alexa and Siri. Hah! Redundancy! :thumleft:

If Mr Putin gets any naughtier, we may ALL wish we weren't using Apps of any flavour.

I have a Disaster Plan to cater for that and still have lots of stone-age stuff to keep my beer cool and play computer games (and my wife laughs[#] at me for keeping my old Arari 520 and Sinclair QL around).

(*) By wired-I2C - I'm not completely stupid.
[#] Well, snarls, more like.

Yeah. I guess my background makes me a little naive when it comes to these things. A few decades working as a systems engineer and having to do systems reliability calculations, including a spot of mathematical model development in the area, gives a guy some strange notions.

You probably need to get out more. There used to be a time when 1 TV, 1 (landline) phone, and 1 car was the norm (for the relatively affluent). Now? Even the dog has probably got its own TV and beer fridge. "Can I borrow your phone? Mine's out of battery".
Redundancy occurs where it's needed. Eg, domestic mobile phone, GPS, and wifi networks usually have signal redundancy built into them (whether it be multiple nodes and/or frequency-band switching).

Which should please MrBane immensely as, all things being equal, it removes failure points ;-)

"Part" is such an inclusive word. It covers everything from that bulky 10 ohm, kiloamp resistor (used as a voltage dropper on greatgrandad's thermionic valve power amp for his turntable) to the 3 GHz, 16 GiB RAM, octa-core, microcontroller unit with 32 programmable, interruptable, multipurpose, tristate (digital/ADC/DAC/PWM/I2C/SPI/CANBUS/UNAMEIT) I/O pins, Improved reliability was one of the major drivers for moving from analogue to digital circuitry.

I have to confess that I've got quite a few bits of Chinese and Malay kit hanging around that are probably a couple of decades old. I've also been cheerfully surprised at how good some of the dirt-cheap Banggod/Alibaba electronics stuff is.

Reliability and high integrity cost less with time as economy of scale kicks in and consumers get more screechy.

People make the same kind of cost-benefit analyses they've probably always done, and will certainly vote with their wallets where reliability is concerned. Anybody here remember a thing called the British domestic consumer electronic industry?

There was a time when it behoved a man to learn to fix a car and wield a soldering iron. Neither are deemed generally-useful skills today. Sure, there are a fair number of even young people who have decent mechanical and electrical/electronic knowledge, but they have these skills for either jobs or hobbies.

The *average* car owner doesn't remember the days when you'd hear folk saying "I've had this car from new and it hasn't let me down once since I drove out of the showroom last week.". My wife's Fiat hasn't needed anything beyond the trivial and consumables doing to it in over 11 years. Modern engines easily run up mileage that was almost the sole preserve of Volvos when I was a kid. What percentage of people get the new, swizzy SamGoogApple phone because their old one broke, rather than because "Ooh! Shiny! Look at the specs, street cred and conspicuous consumption on that!"? (Having said that, I generally don't get new a new phone/PC until the old one runs out of capability)

That isn't to say that you don't get what you pay for, but you get a lot more for your money than you used to.

OTOH, I am well aware that, particularly at the low end of the price scale, the final stage of product test and inspection is consumer purchase - it's cheaper overall to give the few who moan a new one. Many examples of cheap (for values of cheap) binoculars and monoculars are damn near useless, even if you get one that is correctly assembled, aligned, collimated, etc.

And, oddly, I seem to recall John Glenn surviving into ripe old age. Of course, not all his colleagues were that lucky but now we're largely into a different discussion about human behavioural failures.

[I joke with my children about the days of 1200 kps modems, 16KB RAM packs, and 75 baud teletypes. However, often forgotten is that our PCs couldn't easily handle kilobytes or megabytes, let alone, gigabytes, of data, and many used text interfaces with character-based block graphics - VGA was cutting edge.

Sure I cringe now, but I didn't then coz we didn't have anything better. I also cringe at what people used to think constituted "fast" or "good handling" in cars]

[Security was almost non-existent and far too easily compromised back in the day. Almost the first thing I did on any new system was hack myself into administrator/root/superuser/whatever status. And it was usually very difficult to boot me off a system without a fresh system reload. Fortunately, I outgrew such childish amusements at about the same time people started to penalize such things rather than just rolling their eyes (if they even noticed, which they usually didn't unless I telegraphed it)]
During my childhood, if we wanted something to work, we'd just turn it on.

Nowadays, it's left on but to make it work, you have to turn it off and back on again.

Progress.

I do. It's also motorized to pull it down over my whole head in case of emergencies. It's packed with sensors and the internally networked (*) control system is wifi-linked to my home threat-analysis system.

The really great thing is I can control it from both Alexa and Siri. Hah! Redundancy! :thumleft:

I have a Disaster Plan to cater for that and still have lots of stone-age stuff to keep my beer cool and play computer games (and my wife laughs[#] at me for keeping my old Arari 520 and Sinclair QL around).

(*) By wired-I2C - I'm not completely stupid.
[#] Well, snarls, more like.
This is mine...

1643037704616.png

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Last bathroom. Other two are done, this is the last, sole remaining untouched room in the house. Started at 1300hrs. Of course, they'd double over the tiling, the bastards.

Floor a bit of a mess, at least that explains the smell.

Was going to keep this as a leccy shower, but given the rates, will be stripping it out for one off the combi.

Selkie boards, **** tiles. Then it's just the hall to be plastered and painted and job finally done after two years.
IMG-20220219-WA0013.jpeg

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The attic conversion.

From a non regulation shell to fully compliant. There's steel in the eaves now. That wasn't cheap. Sometimes you think the planners are just taking the piss.

It's so heavily insulated. I don't know why I put the rads in, I'm sweating just standing here!

IMG_20220219_173950.jpg

IMG_20220219_173957.jpg
IMG_20220219_174009.jpg

Last bathroom. Other two are done, this is the last, sole remaining untouched room in the house. Started at 1300hrs. Of course, they'd double over the tiling, the bastards.

Floor a bit of a mess, at least that explains the smell.

Was going to keep this as a leccy shower, but given the rates, will be stripping it out for one off the combi.

Selkie boards, **** tiles. Then it's just the hall to be plastered and painted and job finally done after two years.
View attachment 640882

DO NOT get a stick shower or anything built in....... get a unit where you bury copper tube in the wall (well wrapped in tape ) the hot and cold outlets can be looking out of the wall at the correct centre distances, but blanked off to check for leaks.

After tiling, you trim down the pipes and fit the external shower unit with the compression joints, which can easily be swapped onto a new unit........ this type were always my favourites......

Amazon product

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The attic conversion.

From a non regulation shell to fully compliant. There's steel in the eaves now. That wasn't cheap. Sometimes you think the planners are just taking the piss.

It's so heavily insulated. I don't know why I put the rads in, I'm sweating just standing here!

View attachment 640888
View attachment 640887View attachment 640886
I am just doing an En-Suite for my youngest daughter, her husband Harry Houdini keeps vanishing every time I ask for help lifting things, today I had to cut back some grotty plastic pipework and install copper, as the feed valve in the main tank was leaking a little I did it live, he thought he was going to watch footie on his phone !!
his phone and him got very wet when I sliced the pipe
of course there are ways of stopping that, but I needed a wash anyway

I hear it's making a comeback in the Maker world.

I thought it was a long-lost art until recently. Then I noticed it appearing in various places.

We'll be seeing ECC83s on proper breadboards next - to go wid de turntables for de youfs' an' ipsters' vinyl collections, innit.

Yep, ye olde Dansette record player with a single valve amplifier. One of those things that virtually every home had in the 60's.

6a00d83451cbb069e201b8d0a9340f970c.jpg

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Strewth! That floor’s not gunna let you fall asleep sat on the throne, hey!

What she wants, she gets.

Even if it isn't waterproof..... I've bought five extra boxes so when a tile starts to warp and de-laminate I can pop* it out and she'll be none the wiser.

* - destroy half the floor, give up, phone someone in

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads