I'm Spartacus

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Sep 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Kirk Douglas: My Spartacus broke all the rules - Telegraph

Posted because I didn't know he was still alive, which is nice, and the rest of Arrse is a bit gloomy just now.

Is it too nostalgic to suggest that he is the last of the truly great generation of filmstars? Can any of the current crop hold a candle to the likes of Douglas (the Elder), Peck, Grant, Mitchum, Hepburn, Bergman etc, particularly when it comes to historical epics?

2. Yep, nothing like watching a bit of real man stuff a la Lee Marvin, or Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda. Directors don't come much better than John Ford. As for the gals, well throw in Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Munroe.

3. FORMER_FYRDMAN

Indeed - and even if we look slightly more recently, everyone knows that the Three Musketeers looked like York, Finlay, Reed and Chamberlain and not like those Hollywood pretty boys who went to places like Callaaaay twenty years later. And whose idea was it to have Alexander the Great talk like an Irish tinker in 2004 or have the giant William Wallace played by a sawn-off Australian jew-baiter with a serious drink problem and an appalling taste in women?

4. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I thought this thread would involve breasts.

5. I'm afraid I'm a 60's movie matinee (Saturday) tragic. Aaaaah......memories are made of this.

6. FORMER_FYRDMAN

It's a bit of a rum request but if it keeps you happy:

• Like Like x 2
  7. FORMER_FYRDMAN

If you haven't read it already, can I suggest George MacDonald Fraser's 'Hollywood History of the World'. A must-read for lovers of historical epics (and great writing).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yes, nothing like watching wooden dialogue, badly researched scripts, shoddy over acting and techni-colour straight from a hippy's LSD riddled mind... Those were the days.

9. How can we talk about famous film star women without mentioning Maureen O Hara sexiest redhead to walk on a film set. Originally from Dublin, she starred opposite that other epic screen presence John Wayne many times. (The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, The Horse Soldiers)

Now aged 92 (17 Aug) she is still going strong and gave an interview this year on her birthday

Sadly Marion Mitchell Morrison (John Wayne) is like most of the others listed here, passed to the big film set in the sky.

10. What about Burt Lancaster, or Marlon Brando?

Does Clint Eastwood count as one of the all time old school greats?

Jimmy Cagney, Edward G Robinson between them responsible for the success of the G-Men movies ......... yes over acted, yes wooden dialogue, primitive special effects and bad scripts . But in their days pure legend !!!!

"you'll never take me alive copper ............. I made it, I'm on top of the World Ma"

What about Spencer Tracey anyone?

11. Lauren Bacall - stunning and great presence

12. The only problem with John Wayne is that he thinks he is John Wayne.

As said by some director or other and after the "Awww Truely this was the son'o'God" bit I tend to agree.

13. The 30's 40's and 50's, not called the Golden Age of Hollywood for nothing.

14. LOL I dont disagree at all, he only ever played John Wayne in all his films, he was by no means the only one character actor who made a living out of being themselves. But no matter he was and remains a legend of Hollywood and deserves to be right up there with the others listed here.

• Like Like x 1