Im pimping up my Schmidt & Bender scope

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Biped, Dec 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I've decided to pimp up my S&B PMII scope a bit.

Off with the old Tikka M595 .308 rifle and Quicksilver Moderator, and bipod.

On with a new Howa 1500 Stainless Varmint .308 with Knoxx Axiom Stock, bipod and Quicksilver. Rifle ordered, should all be here in January with the new stock.

I reckon my scope will look much better with one of these babies attached. Won't shoot too badly either - a hell of a lot of bang for you buck if you haven't got £2,000 plus for a TRG22 or something.

I shall thus be true to the addage that the money spent on glass should be lots more than what is spent on the rifle.

Sample Image, not stainless or with the PMII on top:

[​IMG]

I shall mostly be using it on wild boar and deer in the SE, with the odd foray to the hills, and maybe even a blat at the odd bit of paper at Lydd.

Thoughts please shooters?

2. Should be good. Ive done it the other way, got the TRG 42 and am waiting for the S&B. Every time I mention it the other half goes pink and crispy. :roll:
    Been looking at the Howa action for a 6.5 x55 Swede for long range stuff. Not actually had the chance to handle one yet though.

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Nice.

I'm doing a pair of double 375's at the moment with Schmidt & Bender scopes, my first experience with them as most of our customers go for Swarovski. So far so good, nice pieces of kit.

I would have serious trouble sticking to your adage about keeping the costs of the rifle below the costs of the scope though!

[​IMG]

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I think the scope is too big, heavy and powerful for hunting - probably not what you wanted to hear though right? :wink:

I agree with your philosophy, but applied to a Zeiss or S&B hunting scope half the wieght!

Like the Howa, don't know that stock, looks like it may handle a bit odd with your big chunk of metal on top?

5. No, no, NO!

Save for the TRG22. You know it makes sense.

(I am).

It's that stock on the Howa that puts me off.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Ravers, flog Biped that scope, its what he needs for boar!

I reckon Swarovski come in 3rd behind S&B and Zeiss in optical performance, but they have a more elegant and classy finish which I would imagine better suits high class rifles - that S&B does not look right on that double to me.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, agreed, the scope is a tad on the heavy side, but by god, it performs like nothing else I've ever used, and will do so from 10m to 2000m, so it stays. All I need is a bit of fitness :wink:

If I was doing the woodland stalking only thing, I'd be happy with an 8x56 in Swarovski, Zeiss or S&B format (don't touch the Hungarian S&B's - they aren't too clever), but I got the 5x25x56 PMII as a lifetime all-rounder.

As you know, the Howa 1500 gets great reviews, and a lot of benchrest guys use the action, so it passes muster. The heavy barrel is a no-brainer for all-round use too.

The Axiom stock gets very good reviews with people getting on very well in the US with it. It aborbs a lot of recoil (pneumatic I believe) and is adjustable a la the AR15 stock adjuster. The pistol grip layout is also popular.

The UK importer has been trying to get these past US export control for 3 years because they said it was a military product. They've finally relented and the first batch of stocks have just arrived in the UK. Expect to see a lot of tarts with these on their rifles next year. :D

Edited to add: Lovely double there Ravers - very nice. Agree with Alsacien re the look of the S&B on it.

8. Ravers

Yep, it's all about the bling factor! We do a lot of Zeiss ones as well which I prefer.

This pair are the first doubles I have done with a scope in ages and they look all wrong to me. Regulating them properly has been a nightmare as the scopes have to come off each time you need to adjust the barrels.

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'll still give you 2 grand for the rifle - but only if you sort that scratch on the stock your ear defenders seem to have made :wink:

10. I think any double rifle looks wrong with a scope on it. If you need a double, surely you need iron sights?

I have the PMII. Mine is accesorised with a TRG22. :)

11. So you went for the stainless.
    I'm transfering the S+B scope over from my CZ carbine when the Howa arrives.
    Will chat about Lydd - and boar- when I collect my rifle.

12. Ravers

That's not me firing the rifle, it is my glamorous assistant, I am much better looking. 8)

Unfortunately the rifle is one of a pair and it would be a shame to split them.

Tell you what call it £300,000 for them both and I will throw in the scopes for free, I might even finish them if you ask nicely! :D

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Can I get a McMillan stock instead of that cheap looking beech one?

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, couldn't resist it.

15. Ravers

No. 8O