"I'm off down the Legion..."

T

Tremaine

The Royal British Legion. What gives? I don't mean the Poppy Appeal side of things, I mean the Legion as a social club & drinking den for former servicemen & attached service bints.

The local RBL branch recently closed due to lack of demand despite my local area having so many ex-servicemen that I was unable to piss on my local war memorial on Remembrance Day without someone looking at me disapprovingly. Has the Legion lost its place as the premier drinking establishment for former service personnel for a specific reason then? Why aren't we all there trying to chat up ageing WAAFs instead of mixing with the local chavs?
Down to open membership and the influx of comedy haircuts, Goths and spankers getting in the Legion. I think that pretty much sums it up, pretty much all our local Legion clubs are closed now. The RBL didn't help their Clubs either. Lot of rag bags, walts and odd-sods after cheaper beer and Pool or darts, started the Legion Clubs' demise IMO.. Our local ex-services couldn't hack it and stayed away.

Down to open membership and the influx of comedy haircuts, Goths and spankers getting in the Legion. I think that pretty much sums it up, pretty much all our local Legion clubs are closed now. The RBL didn't help their Clubs either. Lot of rag bags, walts and odd-sods after cheaper beer and Pool or darts, started the Legion Clubs' demise IMO.. Our local ex-services couldn't hack it and stayed away.
As I said earlier,our was used as a cheap drinking club by the locals until they went on into town,you could count the ex serving members in there on a good night on one hand.

when it comes down to it,, you dont want to be a member?,, you dont want to drink there ? you will not use it ? however when its not there any longer you complain you have nowhere to go..

I've not really been since I was ordered out of the the one in Tidworth in 1977 for daring to whisper during the f*cking bingo!

I've not really been since I was ordered out of the the one in Tidworth in 1977 for daring to whisper during the f*cking bingo!
That was you was it ? Ruined my night that. It's also considered rude to sign in as a guest and then win the jackpot on the fruitmachine everyone had been paying into all year.

An RBL branch should have a better than average chance of surviving by virtue of it being a free house. The trouble is that the branches are run by a committee of well-intentioned people who generally have no idea how to run a drinking establishment and have little or no entrepreneurial spirit.
If I ran one I'd be advertising for ex and serving to form a football team, darts, pool you name it to try and attract the younger member. I would serve food and drink all heavily discounted to make it worthwhile joining and I would be seeking to actively link the currently serving community with those back home. That is a drop in centre for families of those on ops with computers, internet links etc. I'd also look at ways to facilitate those who are serving being in contact with their units etc, again by computer links. I would not allow civilian membership, if you aren't entitled to a veterans' badge then you can't be a member, you can be signed in by a member but you can't be a member and you have no say in the running of the club.
Those are just a few suggestions to kick off with. A branch has to be attractive to new members, to offer them what they want. It's no good just being a large room full of people who think they have more right to be there than any other. A committee isn't there to rule the club it's there as its servant, to do the bidding of the members and make the club attractive to them.
On my travels a few years ago I came across a guy who was involved in setting up a new club somewhere in London. They had gone for a modern layout in a shop front. I wish I could remember where it was, it would have been nice to see how it got on.
If the branch is relevant to the younger guys then it will be popular, a few bus loads of QAs might help it along!
Yeah but the thing is is Mark, you'd need someone involved in say, the pub supply trade or similar to do stuff like that. D'ye know anyone, oh, hang on... Lol