I'm looking to enlist but I might have somewhat a problem. I'm looking for professional advice.

Might be of use to you:

You have ‘permanent residence’ status
If you or a family member are from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you usually get permanent residence status automatically after living in the UK for 5 years.

To apply for citizenship with permanent residence status you must usually have lived in the UK for 12 months after getting permanent residence status. You also need a permanent residence document that proves you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years - this can be any 5 year period.

This means that if the 5 year period was more than 12 months ago, you’ll be able to apply for citizenship as soon as you get your permanent residence document.

You have ‘settled status’ under the EU Settlement Scheme
If you and your family member are from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you can apply for ‘settled status’ after you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years.

To apply for citizenship with settled status you must usually have lived in the UK for 12 months after getting it.

Join and get it out off your system, some take 3 years and some it never leaves. what the Green jackets did to my brother was amazing.

triggerigger

War Hero
Go for it, they have always taken pretty much anyone with opposable digits. Good luck.

Parents eh? I'm sure they did what they thought was best for all the family at a particular time. That is now history.

You are an inbetweener, and have your whole life in front of you. What you want is certainly achievable.

Get hold of the British Embassy in Poland, explain the situation, and get your citizenship.
Yea they probably did. But you're right, the past is the past and I should look forward to the future. I'm still young and got my entire life ahead of me. I will get ahold of the British Embassy in Warsaw asap. First I need to sort out possible accommodation for when I hopefully will be able to return to the UK. One of fathers friend might be open to allowing me to stay with him for some time and even get me a part-time gig.

Hmmm. I don't know of anyone who grew up in a polish family but barely speaks polish. And why would you have an English accent? You learned polish from native poles. Seems a bit odd, but assuming you're not taking the piss then just become a uk citizen and off you go. It's not hard. There are numerous dodgy companies that will do it for you no questions asked.
I rarely spoke to my parents for long moments in Polish. I always kept to myself and chose to not speak Polish whenever it was possible. I spoke with my younger brother in English all the time. English was always my first preferred language for communication. Years of speaking only English has taken effect on my Polish from the looks of it haha. That's not to say that I don't know how to speak Polish, I just have problems with long Polish communication. Short basic communication is doable.

I haven't given you a dislike.
My point they could not register him as British.
It costs a lot of money to get three citizenship.
He grew up in England. I bet he supports England v Poland.
He what's to serve in the British Army... Do Poland still have conscription?
You win

Notice how I changed my mind half way through.
Poland doesn't have conscription. Poland does, on the other hand, have a Military check-up. It's a health checkup to see if you're capable of enlisting in case war was to ever break out.

Deserter

Old-Salt
Hello, lads. I was looking for some professional help and advice regarding enlistment for the British Army. I'll begin by introducing myself. I was born in Poland but I moved to the UK at the age of 2 and had lived there for 16 years. I studied in a British School, I worked in the UK and English is my first preferred language. I consider the UK my true home instead of Poland. I left the UK in July 2018 with my parents, the reason for that was because I had no clue what I wanted to do with my as of then and had no one I could stay with. I really regret that now because life in Poland is not as good as I would have expected it to be. I simply can't integrate here and I feel like an outcast. I'm currently saving up whatever cash I have in order to return to the UK.

A couple of months prior I finally accepted what I want to do and who I want to become. I always was passionate and had a super interest in the Military and Military history overall. I want to enlist in the British Army and give back to the country that I consider my true home. But I'm worried that Brexit might impact this negatively, I wanted to ask what are opportunities for a person like myself regarding enlistment?

I'm mostly worried about returning to the UK. I have no idea if once Brexit takes effect then will I need to apply for a Visa or will I be able to return with my Polish passport under the pretext that I lived here for a long time and I consider this my home. I know that you can't serve unless you're a British citizen but having lived in the UK for 16 years, I found out I was eligible for a citizenship application.

The other worrying problem I might have is regarding the citizenship eligibility. As you read I have lived in the UK for 16 years and I am eligible for British citizenship. But I have no idea if this will be voided once Brexit takes full effect.

I did stumble upon an article regarding a Returning Resident visa thanks to a bloke who is currently serving in the Rifle Regiment. He was really helpful but I don't know what to do next.

Enlisting in the Britsh Army is the only dream that I am striving towards achieving right now. And I got no idea what I will do otherwise.

Thank you.

Your 20 or so years old life does not get any better than this,if you can't get in the British Army look elsewhere The Legion the US Marines ,..the Australian military used to be fairly open to foreigners well brits , if you can't do any of that and you don't like Poland go travelling for a few years ,you've already got a passport (the EU) that opens doors ,people are clinging to rafts in the Med made of Pallets and fighting off great white sharks with vileda supermops to get a sniff of what you already have, you'll get at least one sliding door moment at your age and what you do with it will be up to you but i can assure you'll wake up one day and be ******* forty and all those options are in the rear view mirror......so dry your eyes and seize the day.

Recruiting forum. Week off the site for anyone who continues to break forum rules.
Who has broke the rules here. The advice has been pretty solid and no one has taken the piss. The guy has asked for help and advice and he is getting it. What more do you want for fcuks sake.

You don’t see the deleted posts, do you?
No I don't to be fair, so if that is the case, then fair enough. If the guy has lived in the UK from the age of 2 for a total of 16 years, then he is entitled to Permanent Leave To Remain without restrictions. All he has to do is present the background evidence from his life here in the UK, school records etc, job done. Anyone who has lived in the UK for 5 years or more is entitled to apply for British Citizenship without hindrance. Not cheap though, best part of £4,000 for all the tests, applications including the cost if a UK Passport.

The_Duke

LE
No I don't to be fair, so if that is the case, then fair enough. If the guy has lived in the UK from the age of 2 for a total of 16 years, then he is entitled to Permanent Leave To Remain without restrictions. All he has to do is present the background evidence from his life here in the UK, school records etc, job done. Anyone who has lived in the UK for 5 years or more is entitled to apply for British Citizenship without hindrance. Not cheap though, best part of £4,000 for all the tests, applications including the cost if a UK Passport.
See, you can do it. No gobbing off, no internet hard man.

That's for refugees.
Leave to remain. Pm for more

Finally someone other than my younger brother who understands. My parents were super eager to get back to their country. If they truly cared about my future then they would have stayed an extra year in the UK and helped me apply for a British citizenship. It's not say that they don't love me. But I can sense that they see me as a failure in life. They're a real pair of boomers.
I have employed, known and have Polish friends, the vast majority see the UK as an opportunity to improve their lot in life, better education, better jobs, acceptance and diversity. The odd few are racist, some are disappointed at this county’s lack of moral fibre and failure to punish criminals, some hate this country and its citizens and see it as a free ride, opportunity to strip assets, rob, steal and then bugger off back to Poland with their pockets full of cash, benefits and ill gotten gains. Now I’m not saying your parents are any of those, but I do find their lack of understanding and compassion for their son’s needs, given the only life you know is here, hard to fathom. Good luck son, it looks like you have an up hill battle.

Latest Threads