I'm looking to enlist but I might have somewhat a problem. I'm looking for professional advice.

Hello, lads. I was looking for some professional help and advice regarding enlistment for the British Army. I'll begin by introducing myself. I was born in Poland but I moved to the UK at the age of 2 and had lived there for 16 years. I studied in a British School, I worked in the UK and English is my first preferred language. I consider the UK my true home instead of Poland. I left the UK in July 2018 with my parents, the reason for that was because I had no clue what I wanted to do with my as of then and had no one I could stay with. I really regret that now because life in Poland is not as good as I would have expected it to be. I simply can't integrate here and I feel like an outcast. I'm currently saving up whatever cash I have in order to return to the UK.

A couple of months prior I finally accepted what I want to do and who I want to become. I always was passionate and had a super interest in the Military and Military history overall. I want to enlist in the British Army and give back to the country that I consider my true home. But I'm worried that Brexit might impact this negatively, I wanted to ask what are opportunities for a person like myself regarding enlistment?

I'm mostly worried about returning to the UK. I have no idea if once Brexit takes effect then will I need to apply for a Visa or will I be able to return with my Polish passport under the pretext that I lived here for a long time and I consider this my home. I know that you can't serve unless you're a British citizen but having lived in the UK for 16 years, I found out I was eligible for a citizenship application.

The other worrying problem I might have is regarding the citizenship eligibility. As you read I have lived in the UK for 16 years and I am eligible for British citizenship. But I have no idea if this will be voided once Brexit takes full effect.

I did stumble upon an article regarding a Returning Resident visa thanks to a bloke who is currently serving in the Rifle Regiment. He was really helpful but I don't know what to do next.

Enlisting in the Britsh Army is the only dream that I am striving towards achieving right now. And I got no idea what I will do otherwise.

Thank you.

What does that mean?
You're not British are you? Why did your parents not register you as British? Why come fight for the UK army when you could fight for your own country (or even the EU army)?

chimera

LE
Follow the link given by Just Plain You at post 2 above and get in touch with the recruiters. You will need to get your British citizenship sorted as that is a requirement to join, BREXIT or not, so, again, don't look for advice on here, go straight to the Home Office for advice:

Last edited:
I'm mostly worried about returning to the UK. I have no idea if once Brexit takes effect then will I need to apply for a Visa or will I be able to return with my Polish passport under the pretext that I lived here for a long time and I consider this my home. I know that you can't serve unless you're a British citizen but having lived in the UK for 16 years, I found out I was eligible for a citizenship application.

The other worrying problem I might have is regarding the citizenship eligibility. As you read I have lived in the UK for 16 years and I am eligible for British citizenship. But I have no idea if this will be voided once Brexit takes full effect.
Ignore the comments on here from Muppets, if you are eligible for British citizenship then go ahead and apply for it, you'll either get it or you won't, stop fretting and just apply for it.

You're not British are you? Why did your parents not register you as British? Why come fight for the UK army when you could fight for your own country (or even the EU army)?
I don't have any sentimental value or attachment to Poland. I hardly consider myself Polish as I have not lived there like whatsoever, I never went to school in Poland, I never grew up in Poland and I don't follow any Polish traditions or holidays. On top of that, I can't speak Polish very well. I stutter a lot when speaking Polish, speak with a strong English accent and forget a lot of words that I would otherwise know in English. I can barely speak to random people or my parents in Polish. I can't imagine speaking to fellow Soldiers or a higher personal in Polish.

I was raised in the UK and I consider the UK my true home. Not Poland.

I don't have any sentimental value or attachment to Poland. I hardly consider myself Polish as I have not lived there like whatsoever, I never went to school in Poland, I never grew up in Poland and I don't follow any Polish traditions or holidays. On top of that, I can't speak Polish very well. I stutter a lot when speaking Polish, speak with a strong English accent and forget a lot of words that I would otherwise know in English. I can barely speak to random people or my parents in Polish. I can't imagine speaking to fellow Soldiers or a higher personal in Polish.

Your parents need a slap for not getting you a British passport and citizenship when they had the chance!

Your parents need a slap for not getting you a British passport and citizenship when they had the chance!
Finally someone other than my younger brother who understands. My parents were super eager to get back to their country. If they truly cared about my future then they would have stayed an extra year in the UK and helped me apply for a British citizenship. It's not say that they don't love me. But I can sense that they see me as a failure in life. They're a real pair of boomers.

First thing to do on your list, get British citizenship :)

Hmmm. I don't know of anyone who grew up in a polish family but barely speaks polish. And why would you have an English accent? You learned polish from native poles. Seems a bit odd, but assuming you're not taking the piss then just become a uk citizen and off you go. It's not hard. There are numerous dodgy companies that will do it for you no questions asked.

Finally someone other than my younger brother who understands. My parents were super eager to get back to their country. If they truly cared about my future then they would have stayed an extra year in the UK and helped me apply for a British citizenship. It's not say that they don't love me. But I can sense that they see me as a failure in life. They're a real pair of boomers.
Parents eh? I'm sure they did what they thought was best for all the family at a particular time. That is now history.

You are an inbetweener, and have your whole life in front of you. What you want is certainly achievable.

Get hold of the British Embassy in Poland, explain the situation, and get your citizenship.

DTBA

War Hero
Don't burn any bridges. You sound like a good bloke and I hope it goes well. But it's family first. Even if the decision they made didn't work for you now, it might have been one they made for reasons you aren't privy to.

Get the ball rolling. It's the UK, not Saudi Arabia. Citizenship will come and I hope to God that the current leadership can identify those like yourself that have something to contribute.

ugly

LE
Get professional advice don’t come here

I haven't given you a dislike.
My point they could not register him as British.
It costs a lot of money to get three citizenship.
He grew up in England. I bet he supports England v Poland.
He what's to serve in the British Army... Do Poland still have conscription?
You win

Notice how I changed my mind half way through.

Yep they had loads of money spare from their mimimun wage jobs, probably two each

Edit. I was at work at 4 am this morning

Latest Threads