I'm looking for a good ta combat unit near woking any suggestions

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Pain951753, Dec 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My local pwrr unit won't take me because of my age (they say i need to be over 17and a half, not just 17) and london regimnt hasn't responded to me.

2. Define "near". Is Basingrad near Woking?

3. Thats because you need to be 17 1/2 wait 6 months and join pwrr. what pwrr coy are you gonna join ?

4. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I take it your trying to get to the one at Farnham?

How long before you are 17 and a half? Can you not wait a few more months?

Edited to add. I think all the PWRR TA units are full and are not recruiting (I could be wrong) so look for alternatives.

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I joined the TA as a 16 year junior soldier old so it is or was possible. The problem is that you are an admin nightmare as a 'young person' because you are required to have separate accommodation from adults, supervision by people with CRB clearance etc etc. Units are just not set up to cope.

6 months is not long. You may be able to get them to start the process so that you can start at 17 1/2 but I suspect their experience of younger guys is that most of them don't stay the course and if you can't wait a few months...

6. We always need people put ya name down

7. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I did but the Ghurka WO didn't get back to me.
    I spoke to an officer I know, who passed on my details.

8. In exactly the same boat as you mate, except I live in Basingstoke. Been looking at 7 Rifles in Reading and 3PWRR in Farnham and both are 17 6 months age limits. There's also 3PWRR in Camberley, but the same problem is there. I've decided to work on my fitness for a few months, and I've been told to pop in when I'm 17 & 4 months to start the application process.

9. Yeah good idea fitness is every thing work on your press ups, situps and 1.5 mile run. 3 is the magic number !

10. 3 minute 1.5 mile time? ;)

On it.

11. Is it the same in the Regs these days too? I joined at 16 (adult entry rather than junior soldier or apprenticeship) and was in the same accommodation as everyone else. Couldn't comment on CRB clearances for our Troop Staff, I don't think it existed back then (1998 ).

12. Not sure about the age thing but soldiers under training can't share accommodation with trained soldiers. Or this is what we were told when we rocked up at pippingford park for an exercise and had to on camp beds as some crows on their final phase 1 ex were using the building as their guard room.

13. i'm looking at joining A company, but guess i'll just have to wait till 17.5 and thanks for all you're help guys :)