I'm joining the signals and have been told it's terrible

pazzer

Clanker
I've gone through my application, chosen my role and all ready to go in as an Electronic Warfare Operator. However, my brother who is currently serving in the Air Corps as a grounds crewman told me it's going to be the most boring role ever due to not currently being in wartime and also because I literally wont be doing anything until I'm deployed on tour and even then I might not even be doing anything, I originally tried to join about 4 years ago as an Avionics Technician and I was hoping to do the same again but I got told there are no places available.

Anyways, the question is, is it really going to be that boring and dull? And is there any other roles/regiments for me to consider which won't leave me bored?

Any help would be appreciated!

As ever, the Army is what you make it. Can't speak for the Signals but the REME was an enjoyable challenge for 22 years.

Mostly.

There's a saying in the Army. "Hurry up and wait". You will be bored many times in your career. Suck it up sweetcheeks.

Your air corps brother knows all about the day to day life in a Signals unit because. ..?

Your brother, who serves in another corps, has told you your corps is shit and you're taking him seriously. The army is going to be an education for you.

pazzer

Clanker
The reason he knows is because he has a few mates in the Sigs and he's going off what they have told him, he spoke to them for me because he knew I was joining that to see what it was like.

People can tell you all sorts and you will listen to them like a twat. You can only go off your own experience. Your brothers pals might be having a crap time because they are just idling along. As has been mentioned in this thread already it is what you make it....which is true for everything in life. If you go in with the attitude its shit because you listened to some people then its going to be. Make your own mind up. If you don't like it you can move onto another corps.

Are you sure your brother is a soldier?

If you were my brother I'd have told you it was feckin brilliant just to see the look on your face in a year or so.

pazzer

Clanker
That's fair enough, to be fair I'm not listening I was just seeing if I can get more of an opinion on the matter, I'm always a believer in "see it for yourself before you judge" and since communications is something I've been interested in as I've studied some of it at college and a little at uni then I decided to give it a shot. Thanks anyway lads and I will see soon enough anyways!

pazzer

Clanker
He's not that kind of soldier, he's more the one that when I visit my parents he wakes me up at stupid o clock and tries to get me jogging and then trues to force me to more exercise until I vomit.

He's not that kind of soldier, he's more the one that when I visit my parents he wakes me up at stupid o clock and tries to get me jogging and then trues to force me to more exercise until I vomit.
Get used to it :)

And he's Air Corps you say?

Shirley not

There's a saying in the Army. "Hurry up and wait". You will be bored many times in your career. Suck it up sweetcheeks.
However with the signals they'll be an additional level of bullshit on top of that.

Ironed uniform in in war zone anybody?

However with the signals they'll be an additional level of bullshit on top of that.

Ironed uniform in in war zone anybody?
Extreme ironing for real?

Life in the Royal Corps is much the same as anywhere else, fun, shite, boring, exciting, crap and brilliant and all of that in one day sometimes.

Mostly it depends on you, though there does seem to be a deeper layer of bullshit and feckwits around than in other units TBH.

That's a terrible way to look at it, to me it's more about the experience and learning. The pay and pension is the bonus
Don't be such a cabbage.

Latest Threads