I'm going to a railway gala tomorrow, what does this mean?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Heywood Jablomey, May 19, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been persuaded to go the the Severn Valley Diesel gala tomorrow with friends.

What should I expect? (apart from abuse from you cnuts on here)

2. Anoraks.

Lots and lots of anoraks.

• Funny Funny x 11
  3. The Unexpected?
    The Spanish Inquisition?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Diesels possibly?

5. Lots of diesel locos with flags and lights and things. Some steam to get the old 'uns wet and overpriced curly sarnies and pork pies. Normally a good day if you're interested in deep throated diesels roaring away in the background. Adopt a Fred Dibnah voice, like, and just look as if you are enjoying it. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. Don't listen to the anorak jibes, it's a Gala ffs.

Wear a pretty frock. And a tiara.

• Funny Funny x 18
    • Like Like x 3
  7. The Severn Valley Railway has an excellent station bar at each end of the line. The Railwayman's Arms in Bridgnorth, and the Kings and Castle in Kidderminster. If nothing else you can expect a decent pint.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Enjoyed in a laid back way, a good day looking at a slice of our railway heritage.

Just avoid the Dibnah clones and obsessives, who'll drive you to self-harm if they can corner you. Usually good scran stands at these types of event.

9. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Whatever else he may have done in life, any fucker who can row a diesel locomotive up a river has my respect.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 14
  10. Beards and lack of female contact.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. a deltic, a 47 in inter-city livery, the last of the Claytons, a brace of 20s, a 50, a Western....

At this point I will open my weak lemon drink.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. Unnecessary pollution and an unacceptable increase in carcinogenic particulate in the air from burning hundreds of tons of heavy diesel for nothing.

This has been a party political post on behalf of the green party.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I'll add that I know this because in my pre-navy days I volunteered there (on the steam ones) and am still a member of said railway. Not there this weekend - live a way away these days.

14. You may expect to meet me.... You won't miss me I'll be dressed like this
    image.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2