I'm branching out (in a way) bored of work

ugly

LE
What's a letter of authority and JD?
Job description, usually lays out responsibility and authority. Letter of authority is usually from the client delegating authority to act in a role, usually with caveats on spend and complexity levels and usually indemnifies the holder provided they don't exceed the authorities in the letter

ugly

LE
For example a method statement. I would sign it off as approved but if they did something not covered in the ms I could not be liable for their actions

Ugly, good for you!

I got my chemistry qualifications by day release, paid for my the company. These days it would be impossible 'cos no-one does the courses (for that or many other fields).

Birmingham Uni would need serious consideration as it's a fount of back-stabbing and whingeing amongst the management staff that affects academic staff performance (I finished a distance-learning MA course there about twelve years ago). I know that's not unique but it did seem excessive.

It seems you have reached the age threshold that I crossed recently, the one where I have got into a cosy and secure place, but having engineered that position, it now seems less than satisfying though too close to retirement to be worth the effort of changing.

There is no absolute right or wrong solution to this dilemma, we all have to figure out our own way past the conundrum. Good luck with your plan, everyone should have one as a future of 24x7 vegetating seems like a fate worse than death, the JK show and a round of golf every day as someone earlier in the thread put it being that kind of thing.

ugly

LE
Retirement should I last that long will consist of shooting and self guided battlefield tours with the odd annual sunny trip with the swmbo

Good luck - being a social hand grenade myself, self employment was pretty much the only option but I've never regretted it in 15 years. And if Corbyn re-nationalises the railways you'll probably be able to charge them £1,000/day!

Good luck - being a social hand grenade myself, self employment was pretty much the only option but I've never regretted it in 15 years. And if Corbyn re-nationalises the railways you'll probably be able to charge them £1,000/day!
Yes, but he won't be able to actually travel by train as the permanent, Red Robbo strike syndrome will kick into action rather sharpsih

ugly

LE
Yes, but he won't be able to actually travel by train as the permanent, Jimmy Knapp strike syndrome will kick into action rather sharpsih
Ammended for industrial accuracy and fond memories of days off!

Great topic. It's a horrible situation where an large slice of the income that many people spend hours generating goes to the taxman, while another chunk goes to pay the lord of the manor in rent, or otherwise mortgage. Add on another portion that gets spent on the transport to get to the workplace where you spend those hours (£3000 annual rail passes etc).

This puts people into the rut. Why don’t we all take a step back and look at this situation. Does it not strike you as tad idiotic? After hundreds of years developing civilisation we really ought to be able be in a better position to shape our lives. I used to be happy working and paying bills until the light went on and I realised that it suits a few people to keep me in debt to a mortgage so I have no choice but to take whatever I can get. This is not much different to a serf as a 16th century peasant.

Some time ago I stopped having fancy holidays and nice cars and other stuff and am paying off the damn mortgage and building little stash of cash, just so I can make choices that are in my own hands. Are all of us so called "permanent" staff are effectively contractors these days anyway? Because we know that our employers would shit in our faces us at the drop of a hat, so they get the same kind of loyalty in return. Nobody is inclined to commit themselves and really put everything into a job any more because it's repaid with scorn. Five more years is all I have to survive on this hamster wheel and go and do something where I can feel like my actual livelihood is in my own hands.

Job description, usually lays out responsibility and authority. Letter of authority is usually from the client delegating authority to act in a role, usually with caveats on spend and complexity levels and usually indemnifies the holder provided they don't exceed the authorities in the letter
Thanks for that.