I'm branching out (in a way) bored of work

ugly

LE
Until I win the lottery and can retire from the mortgage merry go round and spend all day shooting and blowing stuff up I have decided to advertise some of the skills I haven't utilised much.
I work in railway signalling and am a realist, without the degree that's just coming on line (and at 52 its not worth the investment in time and money as I wont get chartered before I die) I am pretty much stuck in a position where companies will pay me well when they are in the sh1t and drop me as soon as they realise I am a social hand grenade and their own graduates can now cope.
Luckily or not I spent a few days on a course with Network Rail (whilst on contract to them) learning how to become a skills assessor.
This I now realise is a god send. No longer (I hope) will I have to spend all night grafting when I can roll up, do a face to face interview with the Technician, fill in a form and verify that he has carried out the work he is licensed for.
We are a small trade in a big industry so advertising isn't easy or cheap. I will be using the old boy network to offer my services. Starting tonight!
Fingers crossed.

Hats off to anyone who starts their own business, best of luck with your new venture, although I thought you already ran your own business within the hunting/shooting world.

ugly

LE
Hats off to anyone who starts their own business, best of luck with your new venture, although I thought you already ran your own business within the hunting/shooting world.
I do. I have worked freelance in engineering for nearly 30 years. I'm an RFD but without backing its uphill. I dropped out for 28 months and taught stalking etc but the mortgage was just too big!

ugly

LE
Hallam is running a railway signalling one, I'm too old to benefit now.

Add a few strings to your bow - I take it you're an NVQ etc assessor?

If so, then you can do Business Admin for a start, possibly other things like animal husbandry and so on. Have a think about your skills sets and get creative with the CV. The assessor qual is what training companies and the like look for, then it's just a question of 'proving' that you have the relevant commercial experience - I have a friend who assesses hairdressing qualifications. On the basis that he used to be a salesman for Loreal and his wife is a hairdresser.

ugly

LE
No nvq stuff just the assessors course from NR and 29 years in signalling on the railway. The scheme is unique to the railway and firms that sign up find themselves unable to complete the scheme as NR struggle themselves so it gets fudged and forms are signed off incorrectly. Its a niche job I'm hoping will take off

I don't work in your specific industry, however am also a freelancer (ready to call yer'sel that yet??! :p)

Having come from a solid IT background, my client focus is now very niche critical national infrastructure work around next generation energy transmission (including traction power), RIIO ED1, FUN, etc.

I have found LinkedIn to be a superb resource, in particular since I've moved away from pure IT into areas where the knowledge pool is limited.

You will do very nicely @ugly.

It's a great time in your Life to do so - you have age & experience.

Having met some NR personnel - you can even blow smoke up them with your knowledge - as I am not impressed with NR at all - they seem to be wandering in a constant fog

What a grand idea - go for it !!

ugly

LE
You will do very nicely @ugly.

It's a great time in your Life to do so - you have age & experience.

Having met some NR personnel - you can even blow smoke up them with your knowledge - as I am not impressed with NR at all - they seem to be wandering in a constant fog

What a grand idea - go for it !!
It becomes something when you consider that the previous owners of the railway were actually better at it. Ergo even Railtrack spent less on corporate idiocy than the current clowns do. So many good people held back by career *********.

@ugly I hope any travelling, if any, doesn't become too much.

It may seem quaint now, but a few years and 50k+ miles a year may take the edge off it

ugly

LE
@ugly I hope any travelling, if any, doesn't become too much.

It may seem quaint now, but a few years and 50k+ miles a year may take the edge off it
I'm doing that pretty much anyway. When Eurostar was introduced I put 44000 miles on a car in six months visiting sites and signing them off.
I expect more time spent on trains for daytime visits and only driving for night time visits.

Until I win the lottery and can retire from the mortgage merry go round and spend all day shooting and blowing stuff up I have decided to advertise some of the skills I haven't utilised much.
I work in railway signalling and am a realist, without the degree that's just coming on line (and at 52 its not worth the investment in time and money as I wont get chartered before I die) I am pretty much stuck in a position where companies will pay me well when they are in the sh1t and drop me as soon as they realise I am a social hand grenade and their own graduates can now cope.
Luckily or not I spent a few days on a course with Network Rail (whilst on contract to them) learning how to become a skills assessor.
This I now realise is a god send. No longer (I hope) will I have to spend all night grafting when I can roll up, do a face to face interview with the Technician, fill in a form and verify that he has carried out the work he is licensed for.
We are a small trade in a big industry so advertising isn't easy or cheap. I will be using the old boy network to offer my services. Starting tonight!
Fingers crossed.
Best of luck with your endeavours

ugly

LE
Just been offered a sniff at a blockade in Anglia next month, good money for a fortnight or so as a construction manager. That will be a good place to tout my wares.

Fingers crossed.
Best of luck

Junior :thumright:

Just been offered a sniff at a blockade in Anglia next month, good money for a fortnight or so as a construction manager. That will be a good place to tout my wares.
I read that as 'Angola'!!! :)

Similar age , same dilemma but a different industry ........
I took the for me big step of becoming self employed and setting up my own business in January .
Best decision I've made for years and I now go back and do consultancy work for my previous employer .

Good luck and go for it ........in a few years time you will wish you had taken the plunge earlier .

ugly

LE

ugly

LE
in a few years time you will wish you had taken the plunge earlier .
I've been off the books for over thirty years but just doing headcount roles for clients who are in trouble. Now its time to push the industry into sharing the work load and wealth!

Freelance is the way ahead. I took the plunge to re-enter freelancing after a few months in a 'safe' PAYE role. I now sub-contract for the same group doing roughly the same work but for 3 times the money. Job's a good 'un.