I'm back! A new accord has stirred me from my slumber - what's in it for us?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Wingletang, Nov 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. France and Britain aligned?

Why?

Sign of the Times? Yes but there are hidden threats.

Will the MOD see the French Reserve model as attractive? It sounds very similar to that being discussed here and now.

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | French and UK forces compared

2003 French Army Order of Battle » Armchair General

Which says:

Since the end of the Cold War, the change in the international scene has shown French headquarters the necessity of changing the French army structure and goals. The need to maintain a large force of troops facing a potential threat coming from the Warsaw Pact is no longer necessary in the modern era. The technical evolution of weapon systems show that a smaller force using professional troops is more useful than a larger force relying on conscripts. The first Gulf War, along with the Kosovo conflict, clearly displayed to the French HQ its limits in projecting French troops around the world.

The first consequences are:

- The creation of a professional army.

- A pause in the French conscription system. The word pause is important; the conscription system is not totally scrapped. It can be reestablish at any time in case of a major crisis (scenario of ‘type 6′ following NATO definitions).

The elimination of all existing reserve regiments. The role of the reserves in the national defense concept is redefined. No longer will reserves make up separate units; rather they will be deeply integrated within professional regiments such as the 5th company. The legal status of the reservist is created with a specific engagement contract.

- Reserves will be mobilized to replace professional troops in rear areas if a conflict occurs. Reserve units will also be mobilized in the peacekeeping process against terrorism. Mainly they will be used in a security rule, for example patrolling the main railway stations and airports, as defined in the VigiePirate plan.

At the end of the restructuring, the French Army size has decreased from 550,000 to somewhere close to 280,000 soldiers. This figure includes the Gendarmerie Nationale,

2. Thanks for that?!

PS. I've never heard of a Honda stirring someone from a slumber before.

3. Wingles!

It's like old times!

I think you may have hit upon an interesting point. The resonance between that which the French have gone through and that which we are about to go through is obvious (now!).

Sounds like integrated/hybrid/useable to me...now, where have I heard that before?

Let's hope that DC doesn't read Arrse

4. You don't think it sounds like "Stay at home" Army? When the quote mentioned rear areas, I think it referred to home garrisons, i.e. mobilised to stag on at places like Aldershot.

5. msr

msr LE

Quite frankly, any sort of defined role would do me.

msr

6. Um - Puttees...remember the Review of the Reserves?

...key point, rationalisation of the Reserve Estate....a solution to which would be using regular garrisons and Army barracks for the Reserve...

7. Je pense que c'est une bonne idée que Grande-Bretagne et France mettent en commun leurs ressources. Les camps annuels dans le sud de France. L'amener.

8. I am guilty - first night nerves perhaps - of not making myself clear.

My point is that we are in the midst of a new Review - one that is unlikely to be repeated and one that will be the principal driver of the 'new' TA. Cottam aside, I sense that a root and branch analysis is being done focused on operational output (whether that be at home or abroad), closer integration with the regular Army, and one that brings greater cost and budget transparency and control.

I also expect the Review to have a good look at alternative models - hence my clumsy reference to the French system - and Australia, Canada and America all hold potential solutions if not in whole, certainly in part. Best practice and good ideas brought into the British Reserve Forces would be welcome. Let's face it, we can't carry on as now - resourced when it suits, cut off when it suits, ignored or embraced dependent on the political and military winds, salami slicing of ethos and reward under the wire etc..

9. Awwwww.....

Bless.....

10. msr

msr LE

Really? I see no evidence...

11. There's plenty. Julian Brazier being involved? He's hardly likely to let it drift but in any case, it's being run by the grown ups and I, for one, can't see it being a damp squib this time around.

Wingles is right, this is the last chance to get the modern TA sorted once and for all.

I'm mildly surprised that the TA hasn't spotted just how important this new Review is....isn't it obvious that the Army had plans for the TA within SDSR that on reflection weren't good? DC steps in, and suddenly, this isn't an 'Army' decision any more. The politicians are involved, the Army is in the spotlight, and they only have 6 months. This is the big one, probably the most important moment in the history of the Reserve since Downton Abbey.

12. Im actually with you on this, if the TA is to change for the better it will come from this review.

13. msr

msr LE

I'm not. Where's the consultation? Where the 'Big Society' ideas, the website for thoughts, the senior TA Officers leading from the front, the article in TAQ? Something.... anything...

14. Not pour moi... more interested in the rear area deployments, close liaison with French reservists .... esp hmmm... la femme, which brings it back working in the rear comms zone (RCZ).