Im an Alcoholic.. How many other Ex-Army can admit it..??

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by thericecrispiesmademedoit, Oct 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its often a taboo subject but Alcoholism is rife amongst Ex/Serving Members of HMF. I spent 7 months on the streets of London after my discharge.. Is Alcohol our coping mechanism when no one else will listen..??
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. It wouldn't surprise me. Raising a family has helped me keep away from copious streams of alcohol, but if it weren't for them I'd be lying in a gutter as we speak. Coping well, no doubt.
  3. Dear Mike,
    Make the most of what you have got my friend.. My 'Ex' denied me access to my kids on,.. get this.. 'Psychiatric Instability'.. PTSD in laymens terms.. Is it my fault I served Queen & Country Mate..??
  4. well i'm still on the pish every weekend an it never did me any harm.......hic!
  5. Its a proper confessional this weekend, three/four booze threads.

Maybe there should be an AA thread

No really a sticky might be a good idea
  6. The difference is mate.. I NEED a can to make me me feel able to face the world.. Unless you are/or have been at this stage of Alcoholism then it's difficult to explain mate.. Sorry.
  7. Phssst - Chug Chug - Aaaaah. Burp. AA wot ?
  8. Check the Arrsers anonymous thread
  9. I don't think I'm an alcoholic but I do have a problem with alcohol. I will go without drink or use very little for a period of time (without suffering) then go on a binge*. This will last weeks or months and I will drink like a fish. Then I will sort myself out, stop drinking, start exercising and work on personal projects instead of sitting with a bottle or going to the pub.

There is no apparant trigger for these cycles; I can hold a job down even though I find work boring and I don't suffer from depression. I think a big factor might be boredom or lack of purpose in life. My crap marriage doesn't help either. But I think there is another deeper underlying reason. I can't put my finger on it though.
    It is not a simple issue of willpower either.

These cycles have been going on for years - most of my adult life - and I can't help feeling that I could have achieved so much more with my life if I didn't keep falling back into the booze hole. It feels like a constant case of one step forwards and two steps back.

It doesn't help that I have a teenage squaddy hiding somewhere inside my head who emerges quite often when I am pissed. I am not a violent drunk at all but there is a latent streak of wildness and mischief as well as compulsive womanising. The worries about what I have done when I'm pi$$ed compound the problem. I also spend a hell of a lot of cash during these times.

I don't know what the answer is or even why I have posted this, I think that being in the army damaged most of us in some way - even those who really enjoyed the experience. Whether it is fair to blame the army for my drinking I'm not sure.

I am very interested to hear other people's views and experiences.

*I'm not sure binge is the right term but I've used it for want of a better word.
  10. This one here!

11. You've taken the first step toward getting yourself sorted, you've admitted you have a problem. Now get in touch with AA they've lived it and are the only ones who fully understand the problem and can help you overcome it. I'm lucky in not having an addictive personality so managed to stop smoking and drinking with no trouble. You need help and you know where it is.
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I can, and have done so in other threads. I am an alcoholic, end of. It does not make me a bad person though. Well, in my opinion at least :wink:

I have tried various methods but still move back to the golden nectar. Am I killing myself - yes. Can I stop it - don't know.

I have huge amounts of respect for those that have had the courage, and that is what it takes, to stop drinking. However, I am not there yet.

Rice cripsies - I wish you well.

13. Auld-Yin,
    I would like to shake your hand my friend..

Spesh or Tennants my Friend..??
  14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It's incredibly easy to become reliant on alcohol. My cnut comment, which was very quickly culled, was aimed at those that have no problem and dismiss it. Some have a problem getting through the day, or night and alcohol helps.

I overdo it more than I should and its cost me a lot in the past. I'm lucky enough to have a very understanding better half who points out when I should stop. Unfortunately I don't, on my own seem to be able to stop when enough is enough.

Good luck rice crispies, its a tough path to walk and theres no promise of finding an exit.