IQ 117: Biff or No Biff?

• Biff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Biff

• Hello, I'm from Norfolk

• Total voters
I recently took an IQ test and discovered that I have an IQ of 117, which is apparently, above average. But how above average is it? How is the average calculated? Is it the average intelligence of, say, 100 people from Cumbria, which would make me a bit of a mong?

i was always told IQ tests were generally bullsh1t....with scewed results depending on your socio economic background....or was that the 11plus?? i cant remember

although if your from Cumbria your probs a biff anyway

The fact that you can read and write puts you way above average :D

If you don't know how to calculate the average IQ of a population then you must be a biff.

The average IQ of any population as a whole is, by definition, 100.

Read in 5 columns!
Below 30 >1% >1% below 30 Illiterate Unemployable. Institutionalized.

30 to 50 >1%? >1% below 50 1st-Grade to 3rd-Grade Simple, non-critical household chores.

50 to 60 ~1%? 1.5% below 60 3rd-Grade to 6th-grade Very simple tasks, close supervision.

60 to 74 .5%? 5% below 74 6th-Grade to 8th-Grade "Slow, simple, supervised."

74 to 89 20% 25% below 89 8th-Grade to 12th-Grade Assembler, food service, nurse's aide

89 to 100 25% 50% below 100 8th-Grade to 1-2 years of College. Clerk, teller, Walmart

100 to 111 50% 1 in 2 above 100 12th-Grade to College Degree Police officer, machinist, sales

111 to 120 15% 1 in 4 above 111 College to Master's Level Manager, teacher, accountant

120 to 125 5% 11 in 10above 120 College to Non-Technical Ph. D.'s. Manager, professor, accountant

125 to 132 3% 1 in 20 above 125 Any Ph. D. at 3rd-Tier Schools Attorney, editor, executive.
132 to 137 1% 1 in 50 above 132 No limitations. Eminent professor, editor

137 to 150 0.9% 1 in 100 above 137 No limitations. Leading math, physics professor

150 to 160 0.1% 1 in 1,100 above 150 No limitations Lincoln, Copernicus, Jefferson

160 to 174 0.01% 1 in 11,000 above 160 No limitations Descartes, Einstein, Spinoza

174 to 200
0.0099% 1 in 1,000,000above 174 No limitations Shakespeare, Goethe, Newton
http://www.geocities.com/rnseitz/Definition_of_IQ.html

130+ -- Genius/gifted level (2% of population)

115 - 129 -- Bright/superior level (16% of population)

101 - 114 -- High average level (32% of population)

85 - 100 -- Low average level (32% of population)

71 - 84 -- Borderline level (16% of population)

70 and below -- intellectually challenged (mentally retarded) level (2% of population)

If you took the test online then I wouldn't place much stock in it.

I've done a few IQ tests in the past with scores ranging from 115 to 137.

I'm far from gifted/genius and certainly not superior level, I'm ordinary with a bog standard school education and 30+ years of life skills.

Believing an IQ test online is a bit like replying to 1 of those emails that inform you of your lottery win in Nigeria......

IQ tests are a brilliant way of finding out how good someone is at taking IQ tests.

I'm 120ish, depending on which test. I'm a complete fucking mong though so it's not a great indicator.

When I took mine it was marked as 120, but that was at school.

Now years down the line after having moved around different countries and sampling the local alcohol - Herforder Pils & Warsteiner in Germany, Paddy & Bushmills in NI - I think I'm down to about 20 now!!

IMHO common sense and a sense of humour is what is needed. :D

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I generally average around 139. When I actually pay for the I.Q. test, it comes out at 136.

Which is very strange indeed considering I only got 2 grade C GSCE's, the rest being D's, E's and a couple of F's; didn't do 'A' levels, degrees.

I am however, a company director.

One of my previous employers was an industrial printing and design company that had loads of blue-chip companies as clients. The MD of this company (which turned approx. £8m per annum in 1995) could not read or write because he was badly dyslexic! I sh!t you not!

Just goes to show, I.Q. test, quality education or not, one can still make loads of wedge.

On the proper one we did at school i got 154, a few others i got mid 90's, normally get bout 120 though, They are total shite though, You could be the smartest cnut in the world but without common sense you about as much use as a bit of gone off sponge cake.

Cal

devilish said:

I'm far from gifted/genius and certainly not superior level, I'm ordinary with a bog standard school education and 30+ years of life skills.

Believing an IQ test online is a bit like replying to 1 of those emails that inform you of your lottery win in Nigeria......
Can i sign up for that online!!??!?? :wink:

Not a great believer in IQ tests of any variety.
I score between 131 and 139 depending on how bored I get half way through.
So by the definitions in a post above I should be a Proffesor of something clever and interesting, in actual fact I drive a delivery van for a living these days.....

Obviously I'm just an unrecognised genius, or maybe I'm just a lizy git who cant stand being around people so I hide in a van on my own all my working hours. As far as I can see a good IQ score generally means feck all.

Editted because my apparent genius doesn't extend to spelling skills

Wishful_Thinking said:
When I took mine it was marked as 120, but that was at school.

Now years down the line after having moved around different countries and sampling the local alcohol - Herforder Pils & Warsteiner in Germany, Paddy & Bushmills in NI - I think I'm down to about 20 now!!

IMHO common sense and a sense of humour is what is needed. :D
I like the way you think
ref my post :D :D

Cal

Standardised IQ measurements are supposed to be weighted according to age, and are generally of use only in determining the potential ability of an individual in the widest possible sense.

Any "IQ test" on television, the internet or wherever that fails to take into account the age of the subject has about as much use as breasts have on a fish, purely decorative.

George Bush has an estimated IQ score of 134, whereas John F Kennedy was tested at 119, yet both were pr@tts. source: LINK. Einstein's real IQ has never been published, but estimates vary between 137 and around 170 Source: LINK

If your IQ "test" were accurate, an IQ of 117 would put you within the top 14% of the population if such things matter to you.

Generally speaking IQ used to be simply calculated as being a ratio, eg:

IQ= 100 x (mental age divided by physical age)

IQ figures aside, all the intelligence in the world means very little to anyone who doesn't (or is unable) to use it. Bear in mind plenty of autistic people have IQs that are in the 130's, so it means feck all.

Good wiki article here if interested: LINK

box-of-frogs said:
devilish said:

Can i sign up for that online!!??!?? :wink:
Of course you can, just PM me your bank account details and I'll get right back to you with everything you need..... :wink:

I'm going to say your a biff anyway for wasting time on inane on-line tests.

117 - wot a tosser.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Biped said:
I generally average around 139. When I actually pay for the I.Q. test, it comes out at 136.

Which is very strange indeed considering I only got 2 grade C GSCE's, the rest being D's, E's and a couple of F's; didn't do 'A' levels, degrees.

I am however, a company director.

One of my previous employers was an industrial printing and design company that had loads of blue-chip companies as clients. The MD of this company (which turned approx. £8m per annum in 1995) could not read or write because he was badly dyslexic! I sh!t you not!

Just goes to show, I.Q. test, quality education or not, one can still make loads of wedge.
Dyslexia don't mean sh1t. Some of my best students were dyslexic. They always came up with the most inovative solutions and were generaly better at analysing data. It just meant that they couldn't read it. With the right support dyslexia isn't a disability and due to the percieved inferiority, well motivated and determined students will easily surpass non-dyslexic, BUT THEY NEED TO WORK SO MUCH HARDER (Hence MD earning more than some African countries).

As for the qualifications so what? Depressingly, todays GCSEs particularly are worth less than the certificate. This means that qualifications are devalued for everyone. Some kids just don't settle in at school, do crap and then mature later and go onto big big things. Some kids do realy well at exams but can't do anything when it matters. My last year at uni I was mentoring a first year. Arrogant tosser got 4 grade As at A level. But he couldn't tell you the first thing about ANYTHING that wasn't on a AQA exam paper. I finaly got the useless cnut re-briefed but it was hard work, cos he had 4 A grades telling him he was a genious.

Latest Threads