I'm 48 and looking to join the Army Reserves. Some questions.

So the PFA is now dead? No one seems to have told AKX who are still hosting documents which has MATT 2 referring to a PFA.

Happy to be contradicted by a Gym Queen.
I’m not a gym queen but in the AR at least the necesssary training to conduct the test has yet to be delivered. Hence the continued survival of MATT 2 and it’s documentation.

I'm 48 and just completed reserve Phase 1 training. BFA on Alpha was 9:54. I stayed at the back on the 6 mile TAB on Bravo as I heard it was harder at the back, but I wasn't challenged. During the 16 day Bravo course I took just two 200 mg ibuprofen tablets and that was only because the crappy army bed had given me backache... Don't be put off by negative comments. I plan to stay fit and remain a reserve until I’m 60
I joined at 50 and did my training at 51. I’m now 54. You are aware, aren’t you, that to continue past 55 you have to apply for, and be approved for, annual extensions to the maximum of 60. Also you cannot promote once you’re into your annual extensions. Whatever rank you are at 55 is the rank you stay.

Many years ago, when I were a lad, I mentioned to my family that I was considering joining the forces. Both my parents had done national service and absolutely hated it and my dad told me in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't join up. I was young and impressionable so I followed his instructions.

Fast forward thirty years or so. I grew up, got married, we have a couple of kids and I put on bucketloads of weight. Over the last two years, I've lost the weight and am now a healthy 11st 7lb.

I discovered a couple of weeks ago that I'm still within the age limits for joining the Army Reserves which absolutely amazed me so I've decided to give it a go. I have a background in radio communications (I've been a radio amateur for over thirty years) and I work in IT so I think that a signals role would suit me.

I'm working on my fitness now. I can walk very quickly and for hours at a time with no real effort whatsoever. I've started muscular training as per the Army fitness app and I've got a pushbike on the way as well.

My only concern is making the move from walking fast to running. I've done a couple of long charity walks and although they're not races, I've finished them both ahead of everyone else by quite large margins. I can walk at 12min/mile which isn't hanging about. I've never really tried running.

I'm 48 years old, 49 in a couple of months so if I'm going to do this, I need to do it now.

All last week I was working on a base and staying in the Officer's Mess. I spent the evenings chatting to people there and they were all very supportive of what I want to do but there was some confusion over the fitness levels needed. Some said that they're a little relaxed for Reservists and also that as one gets older, the requirements are also relaxed a bit further. But others said differently.

I've discussed this with my wife and she's told me that I should go for it because if I don't, I'll regret not having tried.

So I guess my questions are simple. I know I'm just within the age limits but what are my actual chances of getting in, bearing in mind I reckon I'll be a lot older than everyone else.

Should I hit the submit button on my application now, or wait until I've built my fitness up a bit and started running?

Realistically at my age, is this a good thing to do?

Thanks.
Two dads?

spaz

LE
Ain't that the truth. Going from living in your own house to sharing a room with 30 odd teens/twenties with their questionable taste in music is one thing but being told when you can eat/knock off/run may be a wee bit of a struggle if you're at all independently minded.

I'm not quite sure what you hope to gain from joining though.

Good luck if you give it a go.
From a man who's never experienced it?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
From a man who's never experienced it?
Which particular part? The room, the music or the having little time to yourself in TA/AR transit accommodation?

spaz

LE
Which particular part? The room, the music or the having little time to yourself in TA/AR transit accommodation?
Apologies, I didn't read the preceding posts correctly, I assumed regular basic training was being discussed.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Apologies, I didn't read the preceding posts correctly, I assumed regular basic training was being discussed.
No worries. I have the military experience of a Quaker's budgie but I have stayed in some crap accom.

Latest Threads