I'm 48 and looking to join the Army Reserves. Some questions.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Depending on exactly what your work in IT is, you might find you are both more use and have a more interesting time with one of the following units.

The Joint Cyber Reserve (see this thread here).

If you have an IA background or any CESG qualifications, you could also look at a Signals unit called the Land Information Assurance Group (LIAG).

Without wanting to put you off, normal Signals reserve units are a hugely mixed bunch. Depending on the unit in your local area, how good the individuals there are and how well supported it is, it might be worthwhile, or it might be a total waste of your time. I would also strongly consider looking at the RAF Reserves if there is an option near you, as they are far more likely to take advantage of your existing skills and find you something engaging to do.

rosbif

Clanker
This question often comes up and here my pennys worth.
As a RAF Reserve , I also would recommend for any older civvy over 40. If you have previous experience, then you should be able to judge for yourself. I joined at the same age, too old for the TA at the time and have had no problems.
They have better a recruitment process, easier to manage training and the average age is old.Therefore they, the training staff, are used to the more mature reservist and adjust the pace.You don't just have join the RAF Regt, anymore, there are a lot of other units that have been created recently. Saying that, the TA will have a bigger variety and more locations.
Just speaking for the RAF, I have had little experience with the TA, (although ex Army) so try both.
Good luck.

I did look into RAF Reserves but there's nothing near me at all, it would be a couple of hours drive away. My application is going through, I've had the medical questionnaire email and have completed and returned that. On Tuesday I visited the local squadron and I'll be going back next week.

With my communications background, they seemed very interested. I was shown around and it all appealed to me so I just need to work on my fitness now to get myself to the required level.

walrusboy

War Hero
So we are not allowed to ask what use a 48 year old private is in the big scheme of things?
The aspiration for the Total force concept places a greater reliance on both niche technical skills and non-complex roles for reservists, specifically combat support and CSS. Ideally these roles should be retained at a reasonable state of readiness, which can be polished quickly to meet the requirements of mobilisation.

If you have some niche technical skills and you go to a role which has need of those skills then you will add value to your chosen unit. You should visit your local ARC and speak to the RRMT. Don't worry about your age. If they want you they may sit you down on t'internetweb at the ARC and get you to apply there and then. Good luck.

Well I've been progressing this and my local squadron seem keen to have me but I've discovered that my uncorrected eyesight is too bad at over -6 in each eye. It's not something that I can appeal against as it's a hard limit. I'm gutted.

Fubar1970

Swinger
Hii there,

Have you had any joy m8?

How's the recruitment process going.

I'm in the same boat and looking for some advise.

Hi Fubar.
I had some more feedback regarding my eyesight - I've been told by my Sgt that in Signals, the limit is -7 so I'm carrying on with the process.

I answered the initial medical questionnaire truthfully which involved a tick against back pain because I had some issues quite a few years ago. I had an automatic rejection email through and so I'm appealing against that now. I need to submit a letter from my GP to accompany it and so he sent me for a back X-ray last week and I'm just waiting for the results of that. Once he's seen it and hopefully written me a letter, I'll put the appeal in.

Fubar1970

Swinger
Hi Wilfred,

What a carry on to be honest, the Army can't recruit hardly any one to join the Reserves.

Than there you go and Volunteer to basically lay down your life for Queen and Country... and the Army puts all sorts of hurdles to get through.

Surely they should be jumping with Joy some one is Volunteering to join up.

I'm sure Philip Hammond or David Cameron, wouldn't be happy knowing the Billions they've put into Recruiting Reserves wasn't working..

Keep me updated

Cheers

Kept meaning to reply to this thread as it's something I'm thinking about.

After a long time as an expat, I'll be returning to the UK in the New Year and sort of retired, sort of. I'd like to rekindle my Army experience and was surprised to see that I'd still qualify for the reserves at 46 - Obviously not the combat roles.

My biggest concern is I'm now a grumpy, opinionated, cantankerous, curmudgeonly, selfish bugger with zero idiot tolerance and used to running companies, not being managed by others.

How long do you reckon I'd last?

I'd wager about 15 minutes sadly.

What are the odds of joining as a Brigadier?

Hi Fubar.
I had some more feedback regarding my eyesight - I've been told by my Sgt that in Signals, the limit is -7 so I'm carrying on with the process.

I answered the initial medical questionnaire truthfully which involved a tick against back pain because I had some issues quite a few years ago. I had an automatic rejection email through and so I'm appealing against that now. I need to submit a letter from my GP to accompany it and so he sent me for a back X-ray last week and I'm just waiting for the results of that. Once he's seen it and hopefully written me a letter, I'll put the appeal in.
It's a long time ago for me, I left 70 (EY) in 1990 and took a different route, good luck. Certa Cito and Decus et Tutamen

X59

LE
Remember to maintain your sense of humour.

Unlike some of the dripping minge on this thread.

Sadly no, I didn't make it but it was my own choice to withdraw.

I spoke to my GP after having had the back X-ray I mentioned earlier and it showed up a very minor problem which was probably caused by the fact that I used to be massively overweight. We discussed it in detail and although he was happy to write me a letter to appeal, I decided not to continue. I have no doubt that I would have been able to get the fitness to pass Selection but I would struggle to get through the next two phases. I think I could have done it but I'd have been risking further injury to my back and I simply wasn't prepared to take that chance.

Despite the fact that I'm not joining, I've continued to work on my fitness and will independently get myself to the level needed to pass Selection, even though I'm not doing it. It's given me a target to aim for and I suppose that's not a bad thing.

I was absolutely gutted to make the decision I did, it made me feel a bit of a failure really. But at least I tried and if I hadn't tried, I'd be kicking myself.

I'm 48 and just completed reserve Phase 1 training. BFA on Alpha was 9:54. I stayed at the back on the 6 mile TAB on Bravo as I heard it was harder at the back, but I wasn't challenged. During the 16 day Bravo course I took just two 200 mg ibuprofen tablets and that was only because the crappy army bed had given me backache... Don't be put off by negative comments. I plan to stay fit and remain a reserve until I’m 60

I'm 48 and just completed reserve Phase 1 training. BFA on Alpha was 9:54. I stayed at the back on the 6 mile TAB on Bravo as I heard it was harder at the back, but I wasn't challenged. During the 16 day Bravo course I took just two 200 mg ibuprofen tablets and that was only because the crappy army bed had given me backache... Don't be put off by negative comments. I plan to stay fit and remain a reserve until I’m 60
BFA? Blank Firing Attachment?

No. BFA is now a shared acronym because apparently “test” was too scary...
So the PFA is now dead? No one seems to have told AKX who are still hosting documents which has MATT 2 referring to a PFA.

Happy to be contradicted by a Gym Queen.

Latest Threads