Illuminated reticule scopes

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Mick9abf, Oct 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm considering buying a scope with illuminated reticule (budget £800-£900 max) and was wondering if anyone has one, and their thoughts on it.

I have been looking at Hungarian Schmidt's as Swarovski's appear to be a bit too pricey. Thinking about an 8x56 (unlikely to get a variable on my budget I think), also, does anyone have experience as to whether the illuminated dot is better than the crosshair or vice versa??

Ir would be used for predominantly woodland stalking and lamping.
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have used a Zeiss Rapid Z for 2 years now - like it a lot. That has a very fine cross hair(s).
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nikon are doing some good gear too, and if I'm not mistaken, they do one with an illuminated centre-dot.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Leupold Vari X3 is available in illuminated and 1 inch tubes. No real advantage until last light and only then if you are able to see and id the deer before the light fails. You shouldnt take a shot against an unidentified target just because an illuminated reticule allows it!
    Edited to add that its a very small dot and very good!
    And again to point out that the dot is a fixed size (good) and only the brightness is variable (very Good)!
  5. I would venture that a 6X would be better for woodland stalking than an 8x. In fact a 4X might be better still!

I would otherwise support Ugly's comments, he has far more experience than I. The benefits of various manufacturer's illumination options are fairly obvious. I do like the S&B approach whereby there is an OFF position between each illumination intensity setting. (Think about it.. ;) )
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I use 1.25 or 1.5 to 4 or 5 x 20 German S&B or Leupold. Woodland stalking, its more like snap shooting than snap shooting!
  7. I'd agree that it is. I would say however that the great advantage of a fixed power scope is that you never have it on the wrong setting for the shot..... whereas with a variable you can guarantee....... :)
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Even my variables get left on a low setting! I only use the zoom when I am in a high seat!