illness and impact on future in ta

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ab2k, Apr 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am relatively new to the ta. i passed my medical and attested in 2004. since then, however, i have been unwell for several months and have been unable to particiapte in any training. i am seeking treatment and should make a full recovery and hope to pursue a full active career with the ta. the illness i have would almost certainly have precluded my entry to the ta had i had it before attestation. my question is (and i realise that my not giving detailed info makes it difficult for a straight answer-please understand that it is a somewhat delicate issue and i am worried about giving too much away), am i liable to be thrown out now that i have had an illness which is prohibitive of entry to the army?
  2. msr

msr LE

Difficult to say exactly, but the illnesses which prevent you joining are generally uncurable.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I wouldn't think that you would be thrown out, once you are fit again. Once you are in, you're in. Loyalty goes both ways :)

BTW, during my time involved with recruitng, the main areas which, while not oalways being 'visilbe' virtually automatically preclude joining were:

Bad Knees

Pretty much everything else was/is negotiable :D
  4. thanks for that. perhaps i should give a little more detail. i was diagnosed with a form of depression in february. it is obviously something that can be cured and i believe in a short while i shall be 100% again.

at the time of application, i happened to overhear someone who had once sufferred a mental illness of this kind being told they didnt have much of a chance and neednt continue in the application process. i didnt think any more of it at the time but am now wondering if the same will be true for me, even though i have now enlisted. im simply worried about my propsects now that this is on my medical record.
  5. Asthma isn't an immediate red card if you are already in. I know Regs and TA who serve with it.

Diabetes is an immediate red.

Depression? If the Army kicked out everyone who suffered that at some point in their career they'd be in a very sorry state.

Wouldn't worry about it on record.
  6. cheers. feeling reassured already. my thinking was that depression and mental illness have such stigma attatched to them that they would mean red card and no sympathy in the tough ol' army.
  7. msr

msr LE

I know of at least two diabetics in my regt. As long as it is controllable, then you can soldier on.

8. Depends how bad youre depression is .It does prevent moblisation
    and if you need medication long term more than a year say you may find
    the ta wants rid of you .I would make every effort to turn up to drill nights&
    weekends exercise and activity are great helps in deppersion .Had prozac for 6months back in the late nineties apart from having to chat with a pysch nurse when moblised nothing else happened
  9. well currently on leave so not been to drill nights for a while (they are aware i am unwell but not fully briefed on what is wrong). i do have to take prozac but its anticipated that i'll only need it for 6 months. after that my doctor is confident he'll be able to give me a clean bill of health.
  10. Deafness will stop you from joining
  11. deafness sure would but presumably the intensive aural testing you undergo in the medical would identify any problems. my greatest concern was with issues that werent present or undetected at the time of enrollment but which subsequently came to the fore. still, i guess its important to be aware of all the problems that can impede entry.
  12. i have met many ex servicemen with hearing problems due to all that shooting, inevitable considering the nature of soldiering, it can gradual and you won't notice it occasionally compensating for it without realising it.

i myself is already Hard of hearing, i did try to join only to fail at the medical however i am now in the ACF so i have found my niche,
    my concern is that servicemen don't realise their problem and they may need retesting every so often as good hearing is crucial in battlefield situations, that will include other medical conditions that can crop up in service.

it can be a blow to many and they would hide the problem, understandable , i would too, battlefield fitness is very important and must be placed above personal feelings.
  13. very good point. i apologise for not thinking in terms of deafness arising over time from service. regular re-testing does seem very wise.

just curious-what is the situation re medicals throughout? are we re-tested periodically or do they wait till you show visible signs of being unfit for duty?
  14. perhaps those in front line be tested more frequently, logistics second, office, pay staff etc tested last.
  15. You are retested for PULHEEMS at certain ages through your career or for certain positions or trades. You'll also get done at Chilwell when you're called out (& a slightly more perfunctory version when you get back, so they can have a bit of paper saying they've not broken you...) :wink:

STAB - Still The Armys Best!