Illegal timebar?

Discussion in 'REME' started by hyrax, May 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before starting my phase 2 training I had to sign a 4 year time bar from completion of the course. This added approximatly 1 years minimum service to my orginal contract. If I signed this whilst under 18 without a parent or guardians permission is it legal? Will I be able to fight it and get out on my orginal contract of 4 years from my 18th birthday?

2. You will have to do the extra 12 months as you signed the paperwork.

Unless you are a reccy mech and you can prove the big X in crayon was done by someone else!!

3. Ever heard of the saying, "burning your bridges"?

Seriously though, you first have to understand that the Army have invested money and time in you. They naturally want to see some return. That is the whole point of the so called time bar.

The contract you signed is no different to that of other companies and firms who invest in their personnel. Of course, if you pay a lawyer enough money, you could leave earlier. Don't for one minute think it will be easy though, especially if you have succesfully completed trade training.'

As for the legalities, I can't answer that. I'm no barrack room lawyer.

Out of curiosity though, why do you ask? I'm presuming you're currently at Bordon or Arborfield - life changes when you reach your first unit. Why not give it a chance?

4. Why don't you stay in a while before deciding you want to jack it in?

5. Although the Army likes to talk about 'Time bars' a great deal - they have absolutely no legal foundation. Under EU employment law, if you give your employer 30 days notice that you wish to leave, they have to let you leave - or you get to take them to court...

Strangely enough, its not something they go into detail about when they ask you sign a 'time bar'...

6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I think they can claim back a certain portion (reducing in amount the later you leave it) of the cost of the training, it will depend on the details.

My company says they want 100% back if you leave within 1 year or 50% back if you leave within 2 years.

S_R

7. Sorry for intruding on a REME thread, But if the above is true how does it work with having to sign off then wait a year before you can leave?

8. Be a man, have some integrity, you signed the paper so you should honour it.

Dave

9. alb

alb Clanker

10. Didn't you read and understand it before you signed it?

As has been said, honour your signature. How will you wake up every morning and be able to look yourself in the mirror if you give up and jack it in now, when it's not really that hard, is it?

It's no easier in civvy street, speak to anyone who has got out and come back in.

Get to your first unit and have a blast, it's a whole different army out there.

Good luck and chin up matey.

11. Hyrax,

reading the news headlines - there's a credit crunch out there, and a shed load of people are going to be losing their homes, cars and jobs. Stay in, ride it out, get some decent qualifications and then think about leaving. You go now, you've got no quals, no experience, and no chance of hanging on to any job as you'll be the first to get chopped when they're looking for cuts.

Besides, chicks dig guys in uniform!

12. Hyrax,

reading the news headlines - there's a credit crunch out there, and a shed load of people are going to be losing their homes, cars and jobs. Stay in, ride it out, get some decent qualifications and then think about leaving. You go now, you've got no quals, no experience, and no chance of hanging on to any job as you'll be the first to get chopped when they're looking for cuts.

Besides, chicks dig guys in uniform!

13. So good he said it twice!!! ;-)

14. I didnt have my Mummy or Daddy's permission? Is this what you are telling us? Honestly...get a sodding grip!!!

Nearly 20 years done and in that time I have had so many ups and downs. One thing that is guaranteed is that there are far more ups than downs.

Have a good kip and fight through :D