I'll stick this post here, you're all weird anyway

Not quite a weapon, but it fits here. My birthday was at the start of lockdown. Guess where 'm going this week, now some restrictons have been lifted?

A day at a blacksmith's forge with one of my lads. All three have contributed, it ain' cheap, but under instruction I'm going to beat f**k out of a lump of red hot railway line, with added bone ashes, until I get absolutely the right shape of my next outdoors knife, with me adding the handle in my workshop later. The intentions are similar to the Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor blade, forward-heavy and at least 5mm thick but with a drop point and fashioned from a carbon steel for easy sharpening after my five or six trips out a year.

As a CivPlod cropsman, my original dog-knife was stolen years ago and I moved on anyway, but when in the wilds for fun there's something missing between my Wetterlings small axe and my fillet knife, this to fill that gap. The cost is far more than buying the equivalent online from Spain, but I made it.

Me. See that? I made that, I did.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Samurai sword or Kukri?

Gav Pintleberry walt

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Not quite a weapon, but it fits here. My birthday was at the start of lockdown. Guess where 'm going this week, now some restrictons have been lifted?

A day at a blacksmith's forge with one of my lads. All three have contributed, it ain' cheap, but under instruction I'm going to beat f**k out of a lump of red hot railway line, with added bone ashes, until I get absolutely the right shape of my next outdoors knife, with me adding the handle in my workshop later. The intentions are similar to the Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor blade, forward-heavy and at least 5mm thick but with a drop point and fashioned from a carbon steel for easy sharpening after my five or six trips out a year.

As a CivPlod cropsman, my original dog-knife was stolen years ago and I moved on anyway, but when in the wilds for fun there's something missing between my Wetterlings small axe and my fillet knife, this to fill that gap. The cost is far more than buying the equivalent online from Spain, but I made it.

What area are you in? I'd just like to slip in a small plug for the Fire & Iron Gallery in Leatherhead, Surrey, as these crafts need to be promoted and kept from dying out.

Hope you enjoy your smithing.

Weaselchap

Swinger
I did this with my father couple of years ago at a pub and forge in the North Downs (Timberbatts in Bodsham). Made a little viking knife and a toasting fork on the day and have since set up my own forge at home where I've made a few other bits and bobs. Returned to Bodsham for an axe making course just before Christmas
Thing 2.jpg

Attachments

I do like that axe, but a man needs only one. I have one of the last from Wetterlings before Grans Bruckfors bought them out and smashed their forges. My canny lad bought one of every single model of theirs as a long-term investment, I think seven (?) in total. Has to be long-term, some of their originals are 100 yrs plus and still in use with Nordic families.

ROMFT

Clanker
I did this with my father couple of years ago at a pub and forge in the North Downs (Timberbatts in Bodsham). Made a little viking knife and a toasting fork on the day and have since set up my own forge at home where I've made a few other bits and bobs. Returned to Bodsham for an axe making course just before Christmas
View attachment 480899
Who is the skull ? Or shouldn't I ask ?

Truxx

LE

Best thing to make a decent knife out of?

One of the leaves of an old well used car spring.

For machete etc then truck spring.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Handy for the up and coming summer riots.

Slime

LE
Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor blanks are pretty cheap, and an easy way to get a nice knife shaped piece of decent steel.

I like that sundial. I wonder who the owner of the kid's football in the background used to be?

I'm guessing you have lots of working area in your house.

A cellar perchance?

Latest Threads