Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IJLB Shornecliffe

glasshammer

Old-Salt
Greetings to the 240 Jldrs of the 14th Sept 82- 13th Aug 83 intake, who passed out 30 years ago today.

Also in Remembrance of Jldr Graham Powls (Green Howards) who was killed in a training accident during the final Ex, on Stanford training area 11/07/83- RIP.

Where the F**K did that time go?

I hope it has been kind to you all.

FEASG
Bloody hell what happened to the poor fella?

glasshammer

Old-Salt
Sept 16th 86 junior soldier intake. Hospital hill OMG slags alley 10pence tina lol. Lydd ranges in the winter OMG instructors were beasts, shuttle sprints in the pool and being made to stand outside the fire exit in the snow when came last in swimming trunks, compulsory diving off top board. I can remember bits of Shorncliffe but it was so fast passed and draining I blocked loads out

That was my platoon, 14 platoon Arnhem Company, sleeping bay collapsed while he was sleeping in it. Was a shock for a 16 year old, really brought the reality of being in the Army to light. Sad time that passing out platoon, Powels was a good lad.

Anyone who joined or worked at JIB shornecliffe late 80's might remember Cpl W****r from the gym? The guy who lives next door to me now is his son! Still has that flat top!

Dear all ex Junior Leaders,

The old camp is being sold and torn down to make way for commuter boxes (stop your cheering). The Shorncliffe Trust is working hard to save the good bits and tell the stories of the millions of men who marched through the gates since 1796, We are organising an event on the 15th November at the old garrison church and we would love you to come along. Please visit our website www.shorncliffe-trust.org.uk for more information.

We will be building a museum on-site and will be dedicating a section to army education and training - from Sir John Moore to the Junior leaders and would love to retell your stories. Your help would be most appreciated.

If you would like us to host a tour of the site, we would love to help.

wheel

LE
By old camp do you mean Napier Barracks ?. I thought they were listed buildings. Some of my old mates from P company Sept 77 intake have just got in touch and we are planning on meeting up down there Spring next year.

By old camp do you mean Napier Barracks ?. I thought they were listed buildings. Some of my old mates from P company Sept 77 intake have just got in touch and we are planning on meeting up down there Spring next year.

Apparently not, but they bloody well should have been. Apart from a couple of remaining blocks incorporated into the Aldershot Military Museum, I think that they are the last example of Victorian/Edwardian brick single storey accommodation blocks in the UK.

Please let us at the Shorncliffe Trust know when and we would love to give you a tour of the archaeology we've found so far and get first hand information of the lay out and uses of buildings. Chris Shaw, Chairman.

Apparently not, but they bloody well should have been. Apart from a couple of remaining blocks incorporated into the Aldershot Military Museum, I think that they are the last example of Victorian/Edwardian brick single storey accommodation blocks in the UK.

We managed to get Sir John Moore's Redoubt protected last year and English Heritage is supporting our plans for the future. WE need to put pressure on Taylor Wimpey and Shepway Council (who lack any vision or passion for the old girl) to do the right thing, not by their greed, but by the men and their families who have lived their. Shorncliffe veterans need to be aware of what is going on, your help and support to get the message out there would really help.

THE BEST BITS COUGH AND DROP WITH THE FITTEST RAMC Capt, WHO JUST HAPPENED TO BE MY COMPANY COMMANDERS MISSUS....

The MO was definitely "fit" in all senses of the word, as IIRC she was a British national 400m or 800m champion, but she was definitely NOT your "company commanders missus".

Believe me, I should know!

Most of it and redevelop the site for shitty little houses. We are fighting for them to respect the heritage and integrate it into a better scheme. Millions of men from the 95th Rifles in 1803 to the Gurkhas today have been their. over 520 men (three VC's) are buried there. We are trying to make them show some modicum of respect and intelligence in their plans. having worked for a property company, I know it can be done. But profit and ignorance are king with the developers and local council.

Thanks for the clarification and does not sound like the developers/town council give a flying fcuk about the history of the place. Good luck with the campaign.

wheel

LE
Any P company Sept 77 intake out there especialy 16 Platoon. We are planning a reunion end May next year. If so PM me.

Alan H

Crow
Yes I remember the man well,I can't think of anyone who wasn't scared to death even to hear his name,but like you I wouldn't have changed a thing and that time makes life easier to handle now

i was in 13 plt arnhem coy 76-77, remember chalky wykes well! funny guy!, there was also a sadistic jock plt sgt called tam graham, totally hated me for being from the north east! plt comdr was lt peter hollins (para) coy cmdr was major hodgins? and not forgetting the provo, tiny hatfield!! all great memories coming back now!

Latest Threads