Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IJLB Shornecliffe

SteveM

Swinger
June 1978, 20 Pl, Peninsula Company
Platoon Commander - Lt W*****s (Cheshires)
Platoon Sergeant - Sgt Les B**n (WFR)
There was another Sgt from the DWR called Sgt P**t - This guy was close to leaving after his 22 years and had spent a good part of his career collecting every cap badge and hackle worn by the Army at the time. He had them displayed in a large glass fronted case up in Coy HQ building. One weekend some fecking low-life (we thought it was a JL at the time) broke in smashed the case and stole the lot - that was the first time that I'd seen a real tough old soldier close to tears - a really upsetting episode.
I can't remember the name that was given to the mixture of cola and blackcurrant that we bought in the Channel Club?
So funny seeing the remains of almost a Bn's worth of white china mugs on the ground outside the cookhouse after our first meal parade.
Flapping like f**k when I was issued my combat liner!!! I thought it was a flak jacket ha ha
Mr Blue Sky on the radio in the guardroom when I went to get my army number issued... still evokes great memories even now.
Remembering how jealous I was of the Black Watch and Argyll soldiers after our passing out parade and seeing them in all their finery - it took me a few years, but I got there in the end!

Great days!

Woofer829

War Hero
******* Sprogs the lot of you!!!!! (with the exception of Auld Yin) I was there from Jan 71 till Dec 73. Can anyone remember when it changed from JIB to IJLB?

Whenever I'm down that way I always drive or take a walk past. The last time I was pissed up and saluted the Gurkha guard who had come to see what I was up too, "perfect" he said. If only my drill had been that good back in the day. Great memories I'll treasure.

Woofer829

War Hero
June 1978, 20 Pl, Peninsula Company
Platoon Commander - Lt W*****s (Cheshires)
Platoon Sergeant - Sgt Les B**n (WFR)
There was another Sgt from the DWR called Sgt P**t - This guy was close to leaving after his 22 years and had spent a good part of his career collecting every cap badge and hackle worn by the Army at the time. He had them displayed in a large glass fronted case up in Coy HQ building. One weekend some fecking low-life (we thought it was a JL at the time) broke in smashed the case and stole the lot - that was the first time that I'd seen a real tough old soldier close to tears - a really upsetting episode.
I can't remember the name that was given to the mixture of cola and blackcurrant that we bought in the Channel Club?
So funny seeing the remains of almost a Bn's worth of white china mugs on the ground outside the cookhouse after our first meal parade.
Flapping like f**k when I was issued my combat liner!!! I thought it was a flak jacket ha ha
Mr Blue Sky on the radio in the guardroom when I went to get my army number issued... still evokes great memories even now.
Remembering how jealous I was of the Black Watch and Argyll soldiers after our passing out parade and seeing them in all their finery - it took me a few years, but I got there in the end!

Great days!
Tono, sold in half or pint galsses IIRC

yeah, i remember all those things. Waterloo Coy were the Guard Company????? I remember to 2 Scots Gaurds lads by the name of Russell, originally badged RHF but transferred. The WRVS lady, what a pain she was.... And who can forget the Provost Staff, some guy called Lightbody who was anything but light :lol:

I remember the russel lads well, they came from the same village of Dalmellington in south ayrshire
but were not related. The wee blonde one was a great mate of mine at the time. But i think i let him down by throwing in the towel after six months, sorry mate.

******* Sprogs the lot of you!!!!! (with the exception of Auld Yin) I was there from Jan 71 till Dec 73. Can anyone remember when it changed from JIB to IJLB?

Whenever I'm down that way I always drive or take a walk past. The last time I was pissed up and saluted the Gurkha guard who had come to see what I was up too, "perfect" he said. If only my drill had been that good back in the day. Great memories I'll treasure.

I was there from May 1971 for two years. My memory of the specifics are really vauge now but as a Green Jacket, I was part of C company which I seem to recall was mostly the Yorkshire and Lancashire regiments as well as us green jobs. The CSM was a Kingsman and our platoon sargeant was a Royal Irish Ranger. His missus was a dab hand at tailoring shirts and all of ours were tailored to us, for a price of course. My hobby was cycling and there was this education officer, a captain or a major who used to take us to junior army cycling rallies all over England. I think we were the last intake to do the two years because the school leaving age went up and those who came after us only did the one year. Many fond memories including being at battle camp in Sennybridge on my 16th birthday where I went swimming in one of the many water wells dotted around the place courtesy of my mates who thought an October dip a fitting birthday present. :)

the lad in question was with myself at that time, he only lost the tip of his fingers and made it to IJLB a day or so later.

I was never in the IJLB but I use to "knock" around with Shelly and Nancy in about 90/91 they liked a good time. I rember going up there with army cadets and Shelly naming companys not blokes.

coax-on

Old-Salt
And me, 17 Pl Peninsula Company. 14 September 1982, what a glorious sunny day

sierra golf

Old-Salt
Was at IJLB Shorncliffe 1975-76.
7Plt Salamanca Coy. Lt G was Plt OC
Hated it at the time but look back on it all with good memories.

I was at Shorncliffe in Sept 89, and Mr J was still going!!!!! That man is (or was) a beast. I remenber nearly all the above, the main one being the Tattoo. I was only 16, and at first the guy would not do it, but then his wife said "if he is old enough to kill someone, why not give him a tattoo" and that was that!!!! lol. I was part of 17 Platoon, Burmah Coy. We had the slogan " Green is mean for 17", but due to injury was back squadded to Salamanca Coy! The RSM at the time was WO1 M***in from the DERR. The same regt I was going to join, but transfered after my passout to ACC. I remember he said to me on my pass in parade "So you want to be in my Regt!! Well thats if I let you in", scary man about 5' and a fag butt tall!! but a presance much larger!! Anyone else join the same time??

hi sammy97 did you join 1 platoon as a scots guardsman?
I also remember the Russell boys both did boxing if I'm correct funny I must have jumped ship just after you?

14th september 82, never forget it.
leaving was the biggest regret of my life.
I shared a room with J Hogan, M Holler, D Reid, and another mate of mine was a lad called Hamish, can't remember his surname. ( 2 section )

slingshot

Swinger
I was at Shorncliffe in Sept 89, and Mr J was still going!!!!! That man is (or was) a beast. I remenber nearly all the above, the main one being the Tattoo. I was only 16, and at first the guy would not do it, but then his wife said "if he is old enough to kill someone, why not give him a tattoo" and that was that!!!! lol. I was part of 17 Platoon, Burmah Coy. We had the slogan " Green is mean for 17", but due to injury was back squadded to Salamanca Coy! The RSM at the time was WO1 M***in from the DERR. The same regt I was going to join, but transfered after my passout to ACC. I remember he said to me on my pass in parade "So you want to be in my Regt!! Well thats if I let you in", scary man about 5' and a fag butt tall!! but a presance much larger!! Anyone else join the same time??

I joined july 89 6plt peninsula coy

I remember the rsm a short hard little fecker
My room was on the ground floor and have fond memorys of watching everyone elses kit come flying out of the top floor windows during room inspections!

Do you remember one battalion parade when the adju inspected us via his bicycle?

Hi there buddy i was there same time, Cpl bob heighton and collins and that CNT Paige, the lads were montellier , compton ficwieller, wardle and henderson, dont know if you remember me Kid with glasses trancfererd to Corruna after Blitz week

teach

Swinger
I joined July 89 as well, 5 Platoon, Peninsula company..3 Sect, Cpl Don. Most of the lads that joined with us and did thier 22 leave this year....doesn't seem two minutes ago!
I joined july 89 6plt peninsula coy

I remember the rsm a short hard little fecker
My room was on the ground floor and have fond memorys of watching everyone elses kit come flying out of the top floor windows during room inspections!

Do you remember one battalion parade when the adju inspected us via his bicycle?

All the above and more........ Sgt Green (Royal Anglian).......Wooden Damp Huts across at Albuhera Company......Sheep Shearing on the first day........Folkestone.........

F***ing hell going through the posts, god what memories, 87 intake Salamanca Coy, Cpl Millwood, Sgt Stewart, CSM Seddon lol, and my name sake Cpl Felstead who lived in his trench coat. LOL

LANDING
CHANGING PARADE
Mess tin order

:razz:

FEASG

LE
Greetings to the 240 Jldrs of the 14th Sept 82- 13th Aug 83 intake, who passed out 30 years ago today.

Also in Remembrance of Jldr Graham Powls (Green Howards) who was killed in a training accident during the final Ex, on Stanford training area 11/07/83- RIP.

Where the F**K did that time go?

I hope it has been kind to you all.

FEASG

Latest Threads