Iit will be interesting to se how this is explained away

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by crimsonhussar, Mar 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There's already a mention of PTSD in the article... oh, and Aspergers.

Here's hoping he doesn't get an easier sentence for what is clearly an execution-style murder.

Oh, it's still Sub Judice.

"Allegedly"

2. Typical defence barristers pulling anything they can out of the hat.....

Bloke is either guilty or not the Jury will decide.... If he is the judge will send him down..... End of nothing more to debate.

3. Agreed. Barristers are obliged to do all they can for their client and will naturally grab at any straws they can, regardless of if they personally believe their own case or not. Fair representation and all that.

What I do think this highlights is that while there is rudimentary screening for mental health issues in a sense during the selection process (checking of medical history with GP, checking of body for signs of self harm etc.), TA soldiers in particular - especially if the role they play is expanding - need to be observed a bit more closely.

It's my understanding, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, that often TA soldiers are deployed on attachment to a regular unit - presumably these people don't know the bloke, wouldn't be able to tell if behaviour was out of sorts while on tour. TA unit don't spend enough time around the bloke due to the part time nature of the job to monitor for any hints of a problem which may arise after the demob process has concluded.

Edited to add - Bloke in the story also seemingly was the usual gun nut, military over-enthusiast and openly talked with passion about shooting, wanting to see combat etc.. and article points out he was investigated in relation to an incident which resulted in dead afghan civvies.

If he fell in to the gun nut, self appointed rambo category, I would have hoped this would have been noted by his recruiter and he be palmed off, but assuming that wasn't the case.. the other facts that came to light would certainly raise a few flags in most peoples minds.

I get a horrible feeling that this could probably have been avoided. Surely his PTSD diagnosis and problems on tour should have resulted in the confiscation of his shotgun licence and weapon.

As for the bullying, not surprised. Despite going through the process of becoming a STAB myself currently, I do think soldiering is a very odd profession to offer out on a part time basis.

• Like Like x 2
  4. How will it be explained?

He was a murderous cnut.

5. The report is not very clear. It mentions he lived and worked on a farm so it may be that he did not have a licence, but had access to firearm(s) in relation to his duties and place of work. Later it mentions 'his shotgun'. It also talks of 'bullets' two hitting the victim one grazing. From a shotgun?

Shoddy shoddy journalism and one pauses to think for a moment maybe the Wail are looking to link this story with the US shooter who went postal in the Afghan....

6. Nothing a 9mm to the back of his sub-normal head wouldn't cure.

7. So this soldier was disappointed that he never fired a shot during his 6 month tour in Asscrackistan? What was he waiting for? :? A starter's gun? I don't doubt that he suffers from PTSD, but there's more to the story of him taking a crack at his landlady than what he's let slip so far.

8. I think we would be surprised at just how many young men join the Army to kill someone.

I am not in way advocating what he did. Clearly a disturbed individual who stepped outside the lane of normal human behaviour.

9. You read it in the Daily Mail so it must be true. After all its well known that PTSD is just something that is sorted with a quick power point show, after all none of you have it so it must all be bollocks!!
    I’d call you all Cnut’s but tell the truth, I thought in exactly the same way that is until I was diagnosed with PTSD, in prison, on getting back from Herrick 8. You don’t want to admit the problem until it’s too late, despite the (now) increased effort to get people to talk about the problem. Partly reinforced by the attitudes displayed on this site. From some posts (elsewhere on the site) there are clearly some experienced troops among you. From others I doubt you were ever in the same army as me. But take it from me yesterday it was me, today Wilkinson and the American, Tomorrow it could be you. Whilst denying PTSD has always worked out well for the MOD (along with Gulf war syndrome, DU poisoning in Bosnia and Radiation from the Bikini Atoll tests) If you don’t already know someone who has it and you are in a unit that goes out on the ground (Not BSN, LKG or KAF) you will and pray it isn’t you.
    I loved my time in the Army and don’t want to come over as knocking an institution that I joined as a boy of 16, but my last act as a free man was to try to take my own life. PTSD is real, not made up by defence lawyers and denied by OJAR chasing SO2s in main building.
    You all (I hope) have all your limbs and none of you would ever think of denying the existence of IEDs as the evidence is all too visible. PTSD however is like electricity you don’t see it coming. You look out for the flash backs and other symptoms that you see on TV all the time. But it’s those others such as not being able to sleep, the total mood swings from Utter elation to being lower than dead. You hold it all together as best you can until one day snap people are getting hurt. All because your pier group might think you were weak. Learn from me it could, if you are what you purport to be, be you next!

• Like Like x 2
  10. No doubt you're right, but to me thats a disturbing reflection on our society in many ways and I would still feel obliged to keep an extra close eye on those who openly express that desire and if possible, avoid taking them on board.

It's arguable as to if it's simply an instinct in all human beings which is stronger in some than others, or if it's a sign of a culture desensitised to violence. I mean look at some of the crimes kids are doing these days, the mindless violent conduct of some of them is certainly a sign that there is something wrong somewhere.

Either way, we have a culturally sensitive situation in Afghanistan which would only be made worse by arming and training the wrong people.

11. I don't think anyone here is knocking genuine PTSD sufferers, but I can't believe how quick you are to defend this bloke - just because he's been diagnosed doesn't mean he suffers from it. How many downgraded blokes have you ever served with over the years, and how many of those do you reckon were bluffing it? Every twat who fakes/exaggerates PTSD symptoms negatively affects the general population's attitude towards those who are genuinely suffering.

You've got to admit this bloke's defence is dodgy though - carrying shrapnel round with him in a jar? Sounds to me like he wasn't struggling to deal with it; he was quite proud of his 'war wounds'. There's definitely something wrong with him upstairs, PTSD or not.

12. Please don’t misunderstand me. I neither condemn nor Condon his actions that’s what the legal system is going to do. But I have walked in his shoes so to speak. What I object to is the Mail prints its version of events and pulls a bone photo of the blokes Face book page and some of our fellow posters go straight into burn the witch mode. As far as I’m aware the guy is yet to be found guilty. The PTSD will only be a mitigating factor when he is found so (and yes on the facts reported he will be found so) what I do take objection to is comments to the effect that PTSD is an excuse to try and get off of a crime. It is not. But to suggest it is merely goes to propagate the denial of PTSD. I except guilt for what I did, the PTSD was a mitigating factor. If I had accepted my problem rather than trying deal with it on my own (Just as the Army goes to great efforts to get people to do) Things may have worked out different. If I have to sing it from the roof tops to get some poor sod to learn from my **** up, I’m happy to do so, rather than be swayed by some spurious posts by people who may never heard a round in anger. If you have a problem Get help , Don’t be afraid to talk about it!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sounds to me like a simple murder.

What a twat. Have you read the one about the bloke who shot the farmer from the sanger-the one with no comms?

I bet there'll be someone along soon who says he is a known loony.

14. Brave assertion mate.

My assumption is that you're a legit poster. I'm with you 100%.

I've posted on other threads that the biggest barrier to effective recognition & treatment is the culture of certain groups who feel ashamed either of themselves or of their peers for presenting with possible PTSD issues.

If they all did, it would make recognition and treatment more effective. It would also make it harder for loonies to falsely claim it as a mitigating factor, which seems to be the source of a few posts on this site.

Either as individuals or collectively, the message, I believe is clear...

We hide it at our peril.