Ignoring Entrance Test Results

Just received a PM about a two 'thicko' trades being disbanded, all soldiers of these trades may have to drop a rank while they are re-traded (I think this is wrong - I'm sure rules say that you have a period of grace to attain the new trade quals - if they don't they drop a rank(s)).

Problem is some of these soldiers are being offered trades above their ability.

I suspect we have numerous units that ignore entrance test results, so someone who could only be a regular driver gets employed as a TA Operator. Its probably worsened by the fact the regular result for some trades recruit at a lower standard than they need (i.e. need GCSE Maths for trade at C but recruit soldiers with E Maths - as they can fix it with training)

So if we drop our requirements are we making a mockery of the TA, e.g. TA Officers need 3 GCSE's while regulars need 5, clearly the shorter levels of training dictate we need soldiers with higher results (e.g. 7 GCSE's for TA officers).

I suppose its funny looking back at my entrance test, I'd have been offered RSigs Tech if I was a regular but started as a TA infantryman and now many years latter I'm thinking should I go T.........

i have 10 A- C grade gcse's , 3 A levels, a national diploma and im currently doing a degree

they wont try to make me be an officer will they? it sounds a bit scary

stayce88 said:
i have 10 A- C grade gcse's , 3 A levels, a national diploma and im currently doing a degree

they wont try to make me be an officer will they? it sounds a bit scary
I have a similar CV to you Stayce with a Honours Degree under my belt as well. Whilst they did ask me if I was interested in going down the DE Commissioning route, I requested to stay in the ranks, for a while at least. So they can't force you to take the officer route if you don't want it.